Oilers rebrand

wquarton

Hey guys, still pretty new and haven't figured out how to directly post pics yet - sad I know. Heres the imgur link for my oilers rebrand. I'll give story - I'm an edmontonian - and was just noticing how bad alberta's public image is on the national level and world scale - when people think alberta, they think dirty dirty tar sands and oil. So my rebrand is essentially moving away from that, whilst still embracing the working class mindset of the city. With Climate change the issue of our time, I thought providing an alternative resource would be cool.

So the name gets changed to the Toilers - and the logo switches from an oil drop to the molecular formula for lithium - which I see as the resource for the future.

http://imgur.com/xWvkFKW

C/C? :D love ya guys

No. Just no. You can't ruin the Oilers history and make that bad of a name and logo.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

Toilers? idk man that's a risky move. I think a lot of people in Edmonton would disagree with you changing the name like that.

As one of those people in Edmonton, I disagree with you changing the name like that.

We have conventional oil, as well as the oil sands, which are nowhere near as "dirty" as people who call them tar sands make them out to be. Most of us take pride in the local ingenuity that led to that bitumen extraction, under far more rigorous environmental requirements than many other oil-producing jurisdictions. We all still use oil every day, by the way, and will need to for a long time.

Lithium is mined (with significant issues) in places like Bolivia, not around Edmonton. To quote the Friends of the Earth:

'The extraction of lithium has significant environmental and social impacts, especially due to water pollution and depletion. In addition, toxic chemicals are needed to process lithium. The release of such chemicals through leaching, spills or air emissions can harm communities, ecosystems and food production. Moreover, lithium extraction inevitably harms the soil and also causes air contamination. The salt flats where lithium is found are located in arid territories. In these places, access to water is key for the local communities and their livelihoods, as well as the local flora and fauna. In Chile’s Atacama salt flats, mining consumes, contaminates and diverts scarce water resources away from local communities. The extraction of lithium has caused water-related conflicts with different communities, such as the community of Toconao in the north of Chile. In Argentina’s Salar de Hombre Muerto, local communities claim that lithium operations have contaminated streams used for humans, livestock and crop irrigation.' http://www.foeeurope.org/sites/default/files/publications/13_factsheet-lithium-gb.pdf

ku-xlarge.jpg

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

Fair enough. Just having fun, had an idea and thought i'd try it out. Thanks for the resource, I'm trying to learn more about it (lithium mining). I know the "tar sands" get a bad rap, but you can't really blame me for worrying a little about climate change, can you? Just got excited when my friend who works as a mining engineer in fort mac told me about it, who seemed to think it was an option. As for the name, it was the best I could come up with that still included oilers and had a working class feel to it.

And of course you disagree with me changing the name, you're an oiler fan, haha you guys die hard, I respect that.

But this is a site for designing sports logos, why not eh? Forget the history for a minute if you can, is it really that terrible?

Toilers? idk man that's a risky move. I think a lot of people in Edmonton would disagree with you changing the name like that.

As one of those people in Edmonton, I disagree with you changing the name like that.

We have conventional oil, as well as the oil sands, which are nowhere near as "dirty" as people who call them tar sands make them out to be. Most of us take pride in the local ingenuity that led to that bitumen extraction, under far more rigorous environmental requirements than many other oil-producing jurisdictions. We all still use oil every day, by the way, and will need to for a long time.

Lithium is mined (with significant issues) in places like Bolivia, not around Edmonton. To quote the Friends of the Earth:

'The extraction of lithium has significant environmental and social impacts, especially due to water pollution and depletion. In addition, toxic chemicals are needed to process lithium. The release of such chemicals through leaching, spills or air emissions can harm communities, ecosystems and food production. Moreover, lithium extraction inevitably harms the soil and also causes air contamination. The salt flats where lithium is found are located in arid territories. In these places, access to water is key for the local communities and their livelihoods, as well as the local flora and fauna. In Chile’s Atacama salt flats, mining consumes, contaminates and diverts scarce water resources away from local communities. The extraction of lithium has caused water-related conflicts with different communities, such as the community of Toconao in the north of Chile. In Argentina’s Salar de Hombre Muerto, local communities claim that lithium operations have contaminated streams used for humans, livestock and crop irrigation.' http://www.foeeurope.org/sites/default/files/publications/13_factsheet-lithium-gb.pdf

ku-xlarge.jpg

Well that's pretty much all the proof I need. Also, wquarton like it or not Oil will always be a part of Alberta's image. Lithium is not a part of Alberta's history and probably never will be.

I think what you should do is turn this into something else. How about a series where the teams in the NHL are named after elements? Or something that combines science fiction and hockey? You've gotten someone here who says he likes the logo but it could use some improvements. I'm just suggesting things. you don't have to do any of them but not all hope is lost for this series. What you need to do is think about what kind of identity you're showing here. Is it a simple and classic identity or is it an identity that's new and could be improved?

appreciate the constructiveness of your criticism :P

Yeah I'm calling bull :censored:. Morgo basically told you exactly what you needed to hear and you said and I quote:

Haters gon hate

Please act with some maturity.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

appreciate the constructiveness of your criticism :P

Yeah I'm calling bull :censored:.

To be fair to him, I think that was in response to my 'toilets' comment.

It was a bit of a jab, but I mean it. The team name is an important aspect of your concept - if you name a team 'Toilers', they'll inevitably end up being called 'Toilets'.

(Especially if they have a recent track record like Edmonton's. ;) )

Meh. A few people said they hated it and didn't really say anything that was constructive, other than that they hated it. Hence, haters gonna hate. Those who offered legitimate constructive criticism, I appreciate it and you're the :censored:. But honestly, if someone's gonna be mean to me I have no problem telling them to eat it. I've showed it to a few friends and heard all the hate already, obviously the oilers have a rich history, and there's no one denying it, but I'm allowed to design whatever I want, and I was under the impression this site was based on that constructive criticism, so I was seeking that out.

Also sidebar: thanks for the formatting advice from the first couple commenters. Appreciate it :D

As far as the toilets thing. Don't they already though? I'm sure you've seen the photoshopped toilets logo. Like yea, maybe people will make that connection, but the word Toilers in itself is actually pretty apt for the city if you can get past that part. Are you from edmonton? It prides itself on its working class Image, anyone to claim otherwise is clearly delusional. To Toil means to work hard. They are hard workers. Don't tell me there isn't anything more alberta/edmontonian than that. I've worked a ton of blue collar jobs and met blue collar lifers. They embody the working class image of this city. But if you have a problem with someone possibly calling you a toilet, I guess I can't fix that.

And yea, "recent track record" - but Mcsaviour's here. A new leaf is being turned over. Chiarelli/Mcklellan will implement a culture change now that ownership has their man. I guess personally I'd like to move away from the dirty oil image that this province has(on the global scale) - less to do with the spills etc(i think this :censored: is way overblown) and more to do with climate change, which I worry about every single day. Maybe there are some hurdles to overcome with lithium, but I find it hard to believe that we can figure out how to do oil in an environmentally sound way that we couldn't do the same with lithium. Like seriously? The pope just said climate change is a serious issue that needs to be addressed and yet people in this province think we're gonna be rich from oil forever. Its insanity.

Archived