New Fictional Sports League: United Reflex League (Nashville/Arizona/Portland Logos - 3/4/16)

Wildcomet

Glad the name seems to be well liked! I decided to try out removing the numbers so they could be compared to each other. I can see what you mean about it possibly coming off gimmicky, and I think it makes it a little less busy to not have them there.

NO%20Quarters%20Logo%20v1.3_zpsln3ldlol.

10/1/15: Added the secondary logo here for easier locating...'

NO%20Quarters%202ndary%20Logo_zpsmvijpg6

Sportslogo-Forum-Signature-2.png

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! Looking back again after some time I definitely agree, it does look better that way. Since discussion seems to have died down a bit on this logo, I think I'll go ahead and move on. I'm looking to get everyone's opinions on what you would like to see next after all the primary logos are finished up.

Would you all rather see:

1) secondary logos, uniforms, etc for the 20 teams that are currently planned, or

2) the league develop expansion teams (I remember requests for Sioux Falls and Philadelphia which could definitely happen, the Northwest and New England regions of the country aren't very well represented atm).

This won't be decided until the current 20 team logos are unveiled, so there's plenty of time to weigh in but the more votes I could get the better. Thanks in advance for the input!

Back to the logos, the next entry to this series will be headed to New Mexico with the unveiling of the Albuquerque Obsidians!

I wanted to go with a name that would honor the heritage of native groups that inhabited the region at various times, without just outright naming the team after one of them, so I went with the name of the rock used often in weapons and tools by multiple groups including the Aztecs. Obsidian forms some of the strongest, sharpest cutting blades possible from natural materials and has been found in the region in it's natural state and shaped into swords (sort of), axes, arrowheads, and knives among other things. The colors are taken from different hues of the stone I found from online pictures. Due to it's glass-like nature, it often gets an angular appearance and though generally black reflections in the sun can cause a variety of colors to appear. Hope you all enjoy!

ABQ%20Obsidians_zpsh0gqtk34.png

These look sick, and nice idea btw. This sport sounds fun to play. I don't know who I would root for tho the Steampunks and Obsidions look beast, maybe I'll wait till I see the other teams.

Also a few things, I got an idea to do an Major League Handball sorta thing and I've never done this stuff before and I wanna know where or what do you use to make these? Also what templates r the uniforms and court?

But overall great names and design. I like the Obsisions logo and colors, but I think the dark green should be just a smudge brighter so you can tell that it's there

IMG_1942.PNG

image.png

As you mention, obsidian is used in sharp, cutting objects; but your logo presents it as a round blob-like logo. I think the logo would work better if you fashioned a spear head, axe head, etc... something dynamic and menacing instead of something round and benign. (Also, I wouldn't ever think this logo was a picture of obsidian without the wordmark right below it.)

award%20sig.png

Make sure that Grand Rapids rush isn't too close to rapid city rush. A minor league hockey team

Thanks for the heads up; I didn't know that team existed so I'll check them out to make sure I'm not getting too close to their look.

These look sick, and nice idea btw. This sport sounds fun to play. I don't know who I would root for tho the Steampunks and Obsidions look beast, maybe I'll wait till I see the other teams.

Also a few things, I got an idea to do an Major League Handball sorta thing and I've never done this stuff before and I wanna know where or what do you use to make these? Also what templates r the uniforms and court?

But overall great names and design. I like the Obsisions logo and colors, but I think the dark green should be just a smudge brighter so you can tell that it's there

Thanks, I'm glad to hear you like the sport and the teams so far! I've been using Paint.NET to make the logos and stuff, but I know many users here use programs like Illustrator, Paint Shop or GIMP to do their concepts as well. The court I made from scratch using a stock image of a hardwood floor and I drew the lines and boundaries over it, and I'm using this as the base for my uniform template.

I hope you decide to do your idea; that sounds like it could be pretty cool, and it's great to be able to get ideas out there. I joined this site fairly recently and this is my 2nd series, but I've really enjoyed posting here.

Thanks for the C&C everyone, that helps! I was trying to get a balance between the sharp edginess of the stone while still working well as a logo at various sizes, but it had come out a bit too much on the round side. I didn't want to change too much since some are really enjoying the original concept, but I did an update to shape it more like an axe-head coming down onto the wordmark (Also the envisioned secondary logo is based on an arrowhead). I hope this improves it- I'm liking it a bit more than the original currently so I think it does.

ABQ%20Obsidians%20v1.2_zpsvdq0g5es.png

8/12/15: Added the 'Sids secondary logo here for easy locating.

ABQ%20Obsidians%202ndary%20Logo_zpsw6lx6

Dude, thanks for the info, once I get my computer up and working I'lol give those a try

I like the updated Sids (sort for Obsidians) but I still think that the dark green, and gray r to dark, I didn't even notice they were there except for when I turn my brightness on my screen ALLL the way up. But overall still great

IMG_1942.PNG

image.png

Thanks for the input on the URL's future everyone, and I'm glad everyone is generally liking the Sids (good nickname, I'm taking it lol)! Looking at the logo on my phone I noticed too that the colors were harder to tell apart so I might revisit and recolor when I get to working on their secondary logo, but for now I think I'm going to move on to the next team.

Say hello to the newest team, the San Jose Innovators! The colors are inspired by colors found on circuit boards, and the logo combines a circuitry pattern synonymous with San Jose's high tech industries with the age-old symbol for inspiration- the light bulb. The circuitry is meant to also serve as the filament in the bulb. You'll notice I also included a secondary logo (I'm going to start rolling those out as I can), it's fairly simple but I think it fits well with the primary logo and the overall identity. Hope you all like them!

SJ%20Innovators%20Logo%20v2_zpsmavbbave.

SJ%20Innovators%202ndary%20Logo_zpsadcp5

Thanks for the quick feedback guys! I decided to do a quick update to make the secondary a little less busy before calling things a night. I removed a couple of the circuit lines from the S and I filled in the gaps between lines in both letters. Better?

SJ%20Innovators%202ndary%20Logo%20v1.2_z

Archived