Nicknames for uniform styles

mpcincal

Just thinking about how the Astros did a throwback game Saturday wearing the classic 1970s uniforms, and in some stories about it (like in Uni Watch) they're referred to as the "Tequila Sunrise" jerseys. In the past, I've also heard them referred to as "rainbow guts" or "rainbows."

What are some other instances where a team's particular uniform has an informal nickname attached to it? I'll kick it off with a few examples:

The Yankees classic uniforms are often referred to as "the pinstripes."

The Astros uni that preceded tequila sunrise were/are called the "shooting star" jerseys.

The White Sox mid-1980s numbers are called the "Beach Blanket Bingo" uniforms.

The Padres in the early '80s wore the "Taco Bell" uniforms.

The Dallas Cowboys have had the "Double Star" alternates.

And then there are informal team monikers that may or may not be inspired by uniform aspects:

"Blueshirts" for the New York Rangers or possibly "Halos" for the halos that the Angels wore atop their hats in the early years.

Does anybody have other examples?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Port Adelaide Football Club playing Aussie Rules has a really good set of these

Our club started out in a state league and joined the national league in 1997.

Our most famous playing strip from the pre-AFL era is this one:

port-prison-bars-aflmedia-628.gif

It's known as the prison bar guernsey due to how the stripes look, but it's allegedly based on wharves and pylons from the Port Adelaide area. It's also the best uniform in sports :)

When we joined the AFL we had to change our guernsey and nickname, as the magpies name was already taken by Collingwood in the AFL.

Our original home guernsey was this design (modeled by one of our greatest ever players, Warren Tredrea)

r359102_1654981.jpg

It's usually nicknamed the SBS guernsey, because the design evoked the logo of television station SBS over in Australia, see here

sbs4.jpg

It was a replaced in 2009 with the current home design, which is referred to as the "Back in black" or "BiB", as ACDC's back in black was used heavily in the marketing for the change given this guernsey has the most black out of any in the AFL. Our current away is the same design with the black and white inverted, and black side panels.

424945-d8366e50-a5d4-11e3-94c1-d923b8b77

We've also had a few nicknamed clash/away guernseys, including:

The photobolt (famous for being the first AFL guernsey to feature a design based on a photo, with the lightning bolt)

782592-warren-tredrea.jpg

The Dolphin/Ice Cream Vendor guernsey

port-adeliade-shit-jumper.jpg

and The Fountain, which is the worst guernsey I think we've ever had. Incredibly generic and uninspired.

Port-Adelaide-6322700.jpg

Indians "blood clot" uniform.

Nuggets "skyline" uniform.

Sixers "waterfall" jersey.

Buccaneers "steaming pile of crap" uniform (current one - possibly not an official nickname - but should be)

for the stars, i'd say mooterus and victory green...

victory green is more color specifically, but lately the team has used it similarly to the yankees pinstripes usage. "see patrick sharp wear the victory green for the first time." etc...

Buccaneers "steaming pile of crap" uniform (current one - possibly not an official nickname - but should be)

Arizona Cardinals' all-reds have also been called "blood clot" uniforms. I assume Sixers' "waterfall" jersey is the super-90s one with the stars on the shorts? If not, what would those be called?

Arizona Cardinals' all-reds have also been called "blood clot" uniforms. I assume Sixers' "waterfall" jersey is the super-90s one with the stars on the shorts? If not, what would those be called?

The Indians was called blood clot before the Internet and the AZ cards even existed. It's the OG clot.

Tampa Bay Bucs - Dreamsicles

Oregon - Stormtroopers

Dreamsicles? I've heard them be called creamsicles, never dreamsicles.

Stormtroopers is not Oregon specific, if you have an all-white look you're going stromtrooper.

Archived