The Detroit News ranks the uniforms of the NHL

charger77

My rankings would be different. It's this guy's list so it's his rankings, but invariably whenever a list like this comes out about uniforms there's always a barb or two that have nothing to do with uniforms. See: Blue Jackets at 20 "now, if they could just shut down that cannon at home when they score goals". What's that got to do with their uniforms? How is that relevant to anything in this list? If it was "most annoying features for visiting fans in arenas" I'd get it.

Also, the analysis of why one is ranked above another is always lacking, or doesn't make any sense half the time. So while I'm not able to dispute his subjective rankings too much I am able to dispute his methodology.

and putting the O6 as the top 6 is lazy and obvious. They're all good uniforms, but they're not the 6 best uniforms in the NHL.

PvO6ZWJ.png

They're not the clear-cut six best uniforms in the NHL, but they're arguably the six best uniforms in the NHL. That doesn't bother me.

Placing the Hurricanes so high and using alternate and outdated looks to rank the Flyers and Blues? That's what sinks the list for me.

I'm also ok with the Sharks being that low. Not because of the teal, but because their current uniforms are pretty lacklustre. Lose the orange striping, drop the front numbers, and put some stripes on the waist.

As they are now? Yeah, bottom tier.

I would argue that only 2 of the original six uniforms belong in the top 5, Boston (#1) and Chicago. 3 others make the top ten with the exception of the Leafs, who narrowly miss the cut due to their insistence on keeping the "Ballard Logo."

While uniform rankings are entirely subjective, I can't help but be irked by the insistence that the original 6 are automatically the best. Dallas, New Jersey and St Louis all give those uniforms a run for their money IMO.

I would argue that only 2 of the original six uniforms belong in the top 5, Boston (#1) and Chicago.

I disagree. The Habs' reds are the best in hockey.

While uniform rankings are entirely subjective, I can't help but be irked by the insistence that the original 6 are automatically the best. Dallas, New Jersey and St Louis all give those uniforms a run for their money IMO.

Which is why I said the Original Six are arguably the best six in the league when it comes to uniforms. There are certainly looks out there that are pretty close, if not better. It just all comes down to opinion. Someone saying the Original Six have the six best looks in the NHL? That's fine. It's not a terrible opinion. And it's certainly not what sinks this list.

I think the Devils have the best uniforms in the NHL after the Red Wings and Blackhawks. I also think the Islanders and Blues are better if not just as good as the Rangers, Leafs and Bruins.

Habs are always a tough rank for me. Their red is easily top 3-5, but I feel like the white is missing something (probably a matching stripe across the middle.)

As for the list at hand. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but like someone else said the methodology he used to rank some of them (Flyers alt, Blues old set, Blue Jackets nothing to with the jersey, etc) was dumb.

I would argue that only 2 of the original six uniforms belong in the top 5, Boston (#1) and Chicago.

I disagree. The Habs' reds are the best in hockey.

Three words; Tapered Sleeve Stripes. Same problem the Islanders have with their otherwise flawless uniforms. They are certainly the most recognizable uniforms in hockey, but the best? I suppose the point could be argued... Personally I think Boston holds that honour, regardless of whether you choose the blacks or the whites.

His #29 Sharks is wrong.

They're easily top 20. Would be top 10 with their original, sharper logo.

Yeah a day after reading this I'm still floored by his ranking the Sharks so low, primarily because they have a unique color that has always looked good on them. Meanwhile he praises the Hurricanes?

He must have thought they were the Red Wings, like the owner does.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

His #29 Sharks is wrong.

They're easily top 20. Would be top 10 with their original, sharper logo.

Yeah a day after reading this I'm still floored by his ranking the Sharks so low, primarily because they have a unique color that has always looked good on them. Meanwhile he praises the Hurricanes?

He must have thought they were the Red Wings, like the owner does.

How could he do that, the Red Wings have a good uniform.

Archived