2015 NFL Season-Now with Playoff Talk

buzzcut

On Friday my neighbors were watching the Seahawks game and reacting to every play like it was a playoff game.

Do any of you guys do that? Watch preseason games with the fervor of an actual game that matters?

Vegas has lines on these games for a reason.

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing worth rooting for in preseason games is that no one gets hurt.

The actual plays, wins and losses don't matter. If you are invested the outcome you should punch yourself in the throat.

The actual score doesn't mean anything. But, to a new coaching staff for a team that's been losing a lot of games, getting a taste of victory in meaningless games helps when it comes to morale and getting their messages across.

The plays, however, are very meaningful. For the second-stringers and third-stringers, these are the guys that are one or two plays away from being starters and playing big roles. And for the 1's, there is value in how they're performing.

I used to crap on preseason games for not being important...then 2013 happened. The Falcons went from 13-3 and in the NFC Championship game to 4-12 the next season. All the misfortunes and missteps during that 2013 season were showing up in the 2013 preseason games. What was chalked up as "vanilla schemes" and "just getting the bad out of the system early" was more than that, especially on both the offensive and defensive lines.

Ultimately, your preseason record is meaningless...no one's ever won a trophy for preseason performances. But, preseason performances can show the flaws in a team that could wind up being their undoing when the games matter. There is a reason why sports outlets mention the low percentage of teams that make the playoffs after a winless preseason....something(s) is preventing the team from winning games.

But then again, the 0-16 Lions were undefeated in that preseason....

That's all completely understandable and that's why I tune in for my team's preseason games, but reacting to a 12 yard carry to the point where your neighbors can hear you is silliness.

When I watch the Bengals preseason games here's what I root for: 1 Nobody get injured 2. Don't suck. That's it.

And the Bengals played like garbage tonight so perfect time to mention that my comment made it into the Bengals' 2015 "Why Your Team Sucks".

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-24%20at%2011.15.

I'm Sean.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Rumor is that RG3 is done in WAS. Cousins will start and Griffin is demanding a trade.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Washington will only get a low round draft pick for him. It's a shame that they traded away basically 2 years of daft picks to get him.

Look on the bright side, they traded them to the Rams, who went on to demonstrate that having more bullets doesn't increase your chances of getting a hit, it just means you have more things to shoot yourself in the foot with.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Washington will only get a low round draft pick for him. It's a shame that they traded away basically 2 years of daft picks to get him.

Look on the bright side, they traded them to the Rams, who went on to demonstrate that having more bullets doesn't increase your chances of getting a hit, it just means you have more things to shoot yourself in the foot with.

Very true. But it could have been worse. St. Louis could be stuck with Griffin right now.

EJ Manuel started today's game against Pittsburgh, went 2-2 for 83 yards and a TD and got pulled for Tyrod Taylor, who went 12-13 with a rushing TD. Then EJ came back in for the second half and went 2-2 with another TD.

It's preseason, so usual caveats, but good for the Buffalo QBs stepping up.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

EJ Manuel started today's game against Pittsburgh, went 2-2 for 83 yards and a TD and got pulled for Tyrod Taylor, who went 12-13 with a rushing TD. Then EJ came back in for the second half and went 2-2 with another TD.

So what you're saying is the Steelers D really really scuks.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

So what you're saying is the Steelers D really really scuks.

I don't have stats in front of me, but I think the Bills' QB play has been pretty solid all preseason. But... it's the preseason.

I wish the preseason were definitive about anything other than watching star players go down with season-ending injuries.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Rex wants to decide on a QB tomorrow. If he chooses Taylor, I expect Buffalo to eventually inquire about RGIII.

Randall Cobb hurt his shoulder after landing hard on it. Didn't we learn enough from Jordy to rest our starters during pre-season?

If Cobb (or any player) gets hurt on the very first play in the first regular season game, would that make you feel any better?

Archived