2015 NFL Season-Now with Playoff Talk

buzzcut

11 hours ago, 2001mark said:

I think I'm off the Packers train for a season.  They'll have to show me more before I pick them NFC reps.  

Frankly, I don't know who to go with for the NFC.  Dallas maybe.  

New England v Dallas... I think I'll write that down.

The what now?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

- “I’m gonna drink a lot of Budweiser” – organic or paid product placement?

He owns a stake in an Anheuser-Busch distributor or two. He was a great quarterback, but now he's just a walking billboard. I can't wait until he runs for Republican governor of Colorado because that's definitely going to happen.

Also, far be it from me to show any sympathy towards the Pats, but the media hung Deflategate all over New England last year and people were basically silent on Peyton's HGH accustations. That doesn't seem fair to me. 

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

15 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

He owns a stake in an Anheuser-Busch distributor or two. He was a great quarterback, but now he's just a walking billboard. I can't wait until he runs for Republican governor of Colorado because that's definitely going to happen.

Also, far be it from me to show any sympathy towards the Pats, but the media hung Deflategate all over New England last year and people were basically silent on Peyton's HGH accustations. That doesn't seem fair to me. 

You're right. The coverage of the HGH thing has been decidedly non-accusatory and barely covered while Ballgate was a circus and people were saying the Patriots shouldn't be allowed to play in the Super Bowl. All I can think is the national media is just bored with New England and that was a juicy story to latch onto. 

and I suppose that was definitely a premeditated plug for Budweiser. He could've said "beer" without getting specific. Kind of an odd thing to say in retrospect. Seems out of character. 

Here's where I see his post football trajectory - annoying pitchman (achievement unlocked), in-game commentator or desk analyst (I actually think he'd be great at this. Nobody seems to understand an offense better than him and he'd give more insight than anyone sitting up there now. Most of the former players talk a lot and say nothing.), and then either he goes the Elway route and works a team from the front office or he goes the politics route. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, rams80 said:

Yeah man, like nothing happens in Australian Rugby without Rupert Murdoch's say so.

Anyway, there are very few QBs in the NFL who would have dove for a fumble in that situation.  Both Mannings wouldn't have, Favre wouldn't have, neither would Romo, Brees, Palmer, Rodgers, Rivers, Matt Ryan,or Jay Cutler.  Brady might if he though he could draw a personal foul penalty out of it, but otherwise nope.  Roethlisberger may, but he has the added burden of being too slow.

I don't blame him for it since, you're right, very few QBs do. It's just not a good look when the narrative all week was how hard he plays and he himself was one of the people spreading it.  I also feel bad for the guy having to do his postgame interview within ear shot of Chris Harris talking about how they shut him down and how he seemed afraid to get hit. Cam will be back.

IUe6Hvh.png

Cam leaping back from the fumble and the Panthers punting down late are two decisions, one spontaneous and one planned, that baffle me. Game felt a lot like the Bears-Colts Super Bowl, where the Bears blew through a charmin-soft schedule and then looked completely outmatched. Ron Rivera sort of Lovied this game.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think a lot of QBs are coached not to get involved in those kind of frays (Andy Dalton ended the Bengals' season when he tried to make a tackle and Drew Brees almost ended his career going after a fumble) but he could've tried harder for it. It is the f***ing Super Bowl after all. 

It's going to be annoying when the talking heads continue bringing it up for the next 5 months or whatever. 

Interesting to me that in this league where the offenses have such an advantage it's been a defensive unit or a defensive play that has won the last three Super Bowls. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Cam leaping back from the fumble and the Panthers punting down late are two decisions, one spontaneous and one planned, that baffle me. Game felt a lot like the Bears-Colts Super Bowl, where the Bears blew through a charmin-soft schedule and then looked completely outmatched. Ron Rivera sort of Lovied this game.

The Bears didn't have that soft of a schedule in 2006. They played the defending NFC champs in the playoffs and then the Saints, who everybody thought would win.

And keep in mind, in December the Bears lost Tommie Harris, at the time the best DT in football, to an injury which would eventually end his career. They also lost Mike Brown, who would be in the hall of fame if he hadn't been constantly injured. But he was always injured, so they couldn't have really expected him to get through a healthy season at that point.

If the Bears defense had been healthy, they might have put up a performance like the Broncos did last night. But anyway, come game time, Lovie refused to deviate from the cover two, and they got shredded by two crappy RB without Manning having to do too much. Then Cedric Benson got injured and tapped out of the game, and Thomas Jones was too slow to pick up the slack. The old, patchwork offensive line which had held up so well all year looked awful on a wet field, where you'd expect they'd have an advantage over speed rushers.

But I agree that Lovie was completely outcoached. The team had problems at receiver, OL, and obviously QB, but they had enough talent to beat the Colts that night, IMO.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Admiral finds new reasons to hate the Bears or virtually any Chicago sports thing at every opportunity, and while it's not always bad argument, it's more keeping the gimmick out there to remind you that he does in fact hate Chicago sports.  That is unless it's in response to me hating Chicago sports, in which case I'm the defeatist, hyper cynical outsider.  

Don't let this line of thought (15 Panthers = 06 Bears) go any further than needed, because it's a stupid argument that only further establishes the Bears as totally undeserving of anything good that has ever happened to them.  

I'm sure there's gonna be a follow up here about the Panthers having Rivera & Tillman/etc, but I'm already seeing myself out.  Dance the night away. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

26 minutes ago, TheOldRoman said:

The Bears didn't have that soft of a schedule in 2010. They played the defending NFC champs in the playoffs and then the Saints, who everybody thought would win.

I thought the knock on the Bears was that it was a terrible NFC in 2006 and they only did what they were supposed to do by getting to the Super Bowl, though I will give you that everyone on the face of the earth picked the Saints to win that game because it would Rebuild New Orleans without any regard to the fact that the Bears were a clearly superior team playing outside in January against a dome team that didn't even practice outside.

17 minutes ago, CS85 said:

Admiral finds new reasons to hate the Bears or virtually any Chicago sports thing at every opportunity, and while it's not always bad argument, it's more keeping the gimmick out there to remind you that he does in fact hate Chicago sports.

I don't hate Chicago sports! Just the Bears for being too popular in proportion to the joy they've delivered in my lifetime. A team this mundane should not dominate the landscape.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

From the start of the season, the Bears were picked as Super Bowl favorites by a bunch of people. Then the season started and they destroyed everybody until the Arizona game. When the offense started struggling, the media jumped ship and said "Rex Grossman can't get you to the Super Bowl," and that was when we first heard that they might make the Super Bowl only because the conference was bad. When the defense struggled after Tommie Harris's injury, that's when the national media decided the Saints would rebuild New Orleans via a championship that year. And the conference wasn't totally stacked, but it wasn't that bad, either. Regardless of that, they were a great team that was the class of the NFC, as that team would have been a year earlier or a year later.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

39 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I don't hate Chicago sports! Just the Bears for being too popular in proportion to the joy they've delivered in my lifetime. A team this mundane should not dominate the landscape.

I hate to break it to you, but the Bears aren't special in that respect. It's the same way in Philly, Cleveland, Buffalo - hell, any city that's had an NFL team for over 20 years. There's only so much "joy" to go around. 

BB52Big.jpg

35 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The Bears have never once come off as popular to me, and if/when they do somehow broach pop culture, it's always some lame take on the 85 team or Ditka saying some dumb crap, etc.  Or Jay Cutler becomes a meme.  

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

3 minutes ago, smzimbabwe said:

I thought nothing of the Budweiser comment, other than it reminded me of old Seattle Pilots manager Joe Schultz telling his players time and again to "go pound those Budweisers"...

:censored::censored:

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Except Peyton is too brand-concious and strategic to say anything like that off the cuff.  He knows what he's doing.

I think the analogue for these Panthers is either those great late 90s Vikings teams or even the 2013 Broncos - a dominant regular season team that looks like an all-time winner only to fail in the postseason.  But also,  this Broncos defense was scarily good. 

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

5 hours ago, smzimbabwe said:

I thought nothing of the Budweiser comment, other than it reminded me of old Seattle Pilots manager Joe Schultz telling his players time and again to "go pound those Budweisers"...

Not for nothing, but Joe Schultz owned stock in...you guessed it...Anheuser-Busch. 

BB52Big.jpg

Archived