2015 NFL Season-Now with Playoff Talk

buzzcut

6 hours ago, rams80 said:

Yeah man, like nothing happens in Australian Rugby without Rupert Murdoch's say so.

Anyway, there are very few QBs in the NFL who would have dove for a fumble in that situation.  Both Mannings wouldn't have, Favre wouldn't have, neither would Romo, Brees, Palmer, Rodgers, Rivers, Matt Ryan,or Jay Cutler.  Brady might if he though he could draw a personal foul penalty out of it, but otherwise nope.  Roethlisberger may, but he has the added burden of being too slow.

...and where did I mention once in that comment anything about Australian Rugby? All I'm saying is it's amazing how all these coincidences keep happening time and time again in the NFL, and no one thinks otherwise about it. Choose what you want to watch, it's your freedom to do so.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

...and where did I mention once in that comment anything about Australian Rugby? All I'm saying is it's amazing how all these coincidences keep happening time and time again in the NFL, and no one thinks otherwise about it. Choose what you want to watch, it's your freedom to do so.

Starting thread indicates enthusiasm, n'est-ce pas?

The funny thing about Conspiracy Theorists is that they see conspiracies and patterns everywhere, yet never seem to have heard of Occam's Razor.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm working on a novella about this Super Bowl.  Should I focus on the great defensive play by both teams or the shabby - and very suspect - officiating?

Full disclosure: I am not a Panthers fan, nor am I that much of a National Football/Financial League fan.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

44 minutes ago, Needschat said:

I'm working on a novella about this Super Bowl.  Should I focus on the great defensive play by both teams or the shabby - and very suspect - officiating?

Full disclosure: I am not a Panthers fan, nor am I that much of a National Football/Financial League fan.

The defense.  The only "unequally" bad call was the first botched review, and that was the kind of play that is ruled incomplete all the time if the receiver is Calvin Johnson or some other seemingly snakebit wideout.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

2 hours ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

All what coincidences?

41 minutes ago, rams80 said:

The defense.  The only "unequally" bad call was the first botched review, and that was the kind of play that is ruled incomplete all the time if the receiver is Calvin Johnson or some other seemingly snakebit wideout.

Once Carey said it would be overruled you knew it wouldn't. But it should have been, and it ultimately led to the first big score.  The second challenge fixed a ref error, and put Carolina at a strategic deficit the rest of the game. 

Cam should have received a roughing the passed call on 3rd and 24. Also,  the Panthers shouldn't have punted,  so boo on then. 

What a dumb game. 

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

30 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Once Carey said it would be overruled you knew it wouldn't. But it should have been, and it ultimately led to the first big score.  The second challenge fixed a ref error, and put Carolina at a strategic deficit the rest of the game. 

Cam should have received a roughing the passed call on 3rd and 24. Also,  the Panthers shouldn't have punted,  so boo on then. 

What a dumb game. 

I think I'm pretty objective with officiating, but I don't see how anybody can say that call should have been overturned.  The ball is pretty clearly touching the ground in the picture I've shared below.  Which is fine if the ball doesn't then move before he wedges between his side and his other arm as he begins to roll over.  Sure, his hand is under it, but the ball still makes physical contact with the ground and then jostles a bit.  At the very least, there's no way that's conclusive enough to overturn the call.

Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 6.45.40 PM.png

IUe6Hvh.png

I'm curious if they got that picture.  From the replays that were shown on TV, I don't see any way that it wasn't a catch.  If they were able to slow it down or freeze it right there, then at the very least there's no way they could overturn it, even if they could not confirm it.  But based just on what we the viewers saw, there's no way an objective observer could have ruled it incomplete.

It would be neat if there was a feed that showed us exactly what they're looking at as they're looking at it.  It'd be nice to see if some shots are mysteriously withheld if they were against the home team (that's obviously not a concern in this case, but in general.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think that's the point -- it should have been ruled a catch to begin with because at first glance,  in the pace of play,  it looked like a catch. 

I didn't agree with it being ruled incomplete at start.  It'd be interesting to see stats in incomplete passes being overturned on challenges. My assumption is refs don't like to overturn their own calls, but I'd also allow I like to look for conspiracy that likely isn't there. 

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

12 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I think that's the point -- it should have been ruled a catch to begin with because at first glance,  in the pace of play,  it looked like a catch. 

I didn't agree with it being ruled incomplete at start.  It'd be interesting to see stats in incomplete passes being overturned on challenges. My assumption is refs don't like to overturn their own calls, but I'd also allow I like to look for conspiracy that likely isn't there. 

Do the refs still review their own calls, or is it done somewhere else and then the results radioed down?  Depending on the referee's angle, I could see how it looked like it hit the ground, but he'd have to have had the perfect view.  Either way, everyone I was with (and I assume everyone in the world outside of Denver) thought Carolina got screwed there and that call directly lead to Denver's TD.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

20 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I'm curious if they got that picture.  From the replays that were shown on TV, I don't see any way that it wasn't a catch.  If they were able to slow it down or freeze it right there, then at the very least there's no way they could overturn it, even if they could not confirm it.  But based just on what we the viewers saw, there's no way an objective observer could have ruled it incomplete.

It would be neat if there was a feed that showed us exactly what they're looking at as they're looking at it.  It'd be nice to see if some shots are mysteriously withheld if they were against the home team (that's obviously not a concern in this case, but in general.)

I don't know.  I know I couldn't find that picture anywhere.  I had to watch a gif and press the screen print button like a mad man to get it.

Watching the replays during the broadcast itself I thought it hit the ground but there was certainly room for doubt and, admittedly, bias.  The ball moving in his grip as he rolls over is more obvious when you watch it a little quicker.  That the ball moves in his grip isn't damning, nor is it that the ball hits the ground -- just that the ball appears to move after it hits the ground.  Whether the ball hits the ground after all of that is irrelevant.  I said in this thread at the time I think the call should stand no matter how it's called on the field and I probably still feel that way.

It's worth noting the official announced that the play stands and not that the call was confirmed.

IUe6Hvh.png

44 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Do the refs still review their own calls, or is it done somewhere else and then the results radioed down?  Depending on the referee's angle, I could see how it looked like it hit the ground, but he'd have to have had the perfect view.  Either way, everyone I was with (and I assume everyone in the world outside of Denver) thought Carolina got screwed there and that call directly lead to Denver's TD.

I'm pretty sure the NFL refs still review their own calls. Anyway, I thought it was a catch. After seeing the replay, I was surprised they didn't overturn it. 

BB52Big.jpg

14 hours ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

....my last rant on the NFL... its fake folks. Cam clearly could have attempted to recover that fumble. But, I guess that fat check from Vegas, and the promise of a future Super Bowl Ring, was enough to hold him over for awhile.

Congrats NFL, you covered the 6 points spread, and you, along with Vegas made a boatload of money, once again.

...now Peyton go drink a Budweiser, while eating your Papa Johns, and remember to sing a catchy little tune about your Crawfish shorts while playing table tennis with the local kids tomorrow.

image.thumb.png.5f45709fa84f5f6743faa877

spacer.png

3 hours ago, DG_Now said:

What a dumb game. 

Whether that first challenge should have been overturned or not, once Rivera knew he was down to one challenge for the rest of the game, burning it on a play that involved a small difference in yardage deep in Denver's own territory, early in the 2nd quarter no less, was truly awful use of said challenge. Carolina was left to the mercy of referees the rest of the game because of that, something that, thankfully I guess, did not end up being consequential but very easily could've been.

spacer.png

23 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Whether that first challenge should have been overturned or not, once Rivera knew he was down to one challenge for the rest of the game, burning it on a play that involved a small difference in yardage deep in Denver's own territory, early in the 2nd quarter no less, was truly awful use of said challenge. Carolina was left to the mercy of referees the rest of the game because of that, something that, thankfully I guess, did not end up being consequential but very easily could've been.

Absolutely, and Nantz and Simms made the same point - was it really worth losing the challenge for 7 yards. I bet at that point he was mostly annoyed he was doing the refs' work for them. And, given how close the game was at that point, you could say 7 yards was substantial.

We're living a world where a team had something like 12 straight 3 and outs but still won the Super Bowl. That's a bad way to lose for Carolina fans, especially after such a fun season.

As much as I wouldn't want to hear all of the conspiracies and talk about the Panthers getting screwed (as if I'm not hearing about it now), the best thing might have been for the Panthers to have been screwed on a call after using their second challenge so the NFL would consider changing the replay rules.

It's just crazy you can be penalized for the referees blowing a call as the Panthers basically were on the second challenge.  Having won that challenge, they should have had one challenge left and continue to have one challenge left until they challenged a play and lost.

IUe6Hvh.png

8 hours ago, See Red said:

Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 6.45.40 PM.png

Let's be real here. This non-overturn (which I thought was a drop anyways) wouldn't have somehow boosted Cam and softened up the Denver D. Either way this review goes, it has ZERO to do with the eventual outcome of the game. Denver won by a *convincing* fourteen!

This debate almost reminds me of the "controversial" Big Ben goalline touchdown in SB40 that everyone went on and on about for days. Either way that had gone, Seattle wasn't winning. Just silly.

Also, I'll be stunned if Mike Carey has a job at CBS next year. This guy is a total laughingstock. Not sure if anyone has official numbers, but in all seriousness, it seems like he's wrong about 80% of the time.

6uXNWAo.png

The difference between Super Bowl L and Super Bowl XL was that was just one maybe bad call. Super Bowl XL was bad call after bad call after bad call after bad call, and each one went in favor of the same team. It's the single worst, most one-sided officiated game I've ever seen. Regular season, post season. It's a disgrace. 

Super Bowl L had calls flying on both sides so I don't even see a conspiracy here. I thought Cotchery caught that pass, but Carolina was also granted a somewhat ticky tack first down on Talib's taunting penalty that could've been thrown on either player. You could surmise if that's called a completion then Denver doesn't score a defensive TD right thereafter and it's a different game. That's a fair assumption and I wouldn't begrudge Pants fans for being upset about it because it led to Rivera throwing a "f*** you" challenge flag very soon after that. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

8 hours ago, Cujo said:

Let's be real here. This non-overturn (which I thought was a drop anyways) wouldn't have somehow boosted Cam and softened up the Denver D. Either way this review goes, it has ZERO to do with the eventual outcome of the game. Denver won by a *convincing* fourteen!

This debate almost reminds me of the "controversial" Big Ben goalline touchdown in SB40 that everyone went on and on about for days. Either way that had gone, Seattle wasn't winning. Just silly.

Also, I'll be stunned if Mike Carey has a job at CBS next year. This guy is a total laughingstock. Not sure if anyone has official numbers, but in all seriousness, it seems like he's wrong about 80% of the time.

Cotchery was juggling the ball badly and went to the ground and as that picture showed the nose of the ball touched the ground. If the refs called it a catch they would have not overturned the call, and the rule is bad but as long as the rule is what it is they made the right call.

Mike Carey actually had Vegas bets how many times he would be wrong and how fast he would be wrong. He was a terrible ref and is now a worse analysts

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived