2015 NFL Season-Now with Playoff Talk

buzzcut

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, the Bills have spent an entire generation looking up at a team that goes 12-4 or better every single year, while basically every other division goes through a funk where 8-8 or 9-7 (or 7-9!) wins it.

Sports aren't fair.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

So, how many more times are we stuck watching the train wreck that is the NFC Least in prime time this season?

Well almost the whole nation gets the Cowboys in the late slot next week. (I know not quite prime time, but still)

I feel like I'm never not watching the Dallas Cowboys. And it's not like I seek them out. I'd rather not watch the Cowboys, but there they are on my TV week after week.

Man, the Bills have spent an entire generation looking up at a team that goes 12-4 or better every single year, while basically every other division goes through a funk where 8-8 or 9-7 (or 7-9!) wins it.

Sports aren't fair.

I wrote a post about this after the Bills monday night game which kind of sounded like sour grapes at the time, but I think it's still true. How much of the Patriots success over last 15 years is due to playing in a division with the Jets, Bills, and Dolphins? It's not insignificant. Those teams provide the Patriots the home field advantage in the playoffs year after year. Let's say hypothetically the Pats were in the AFC North instead of the Browns. A lot of their 13-3, 12-4 seasons suddenly become 11-5, 10-6 and all of a sudden they're not getting first round byes and they're not hosting AFC Championship games.

Out of those 3 divisional opponents the Jets have had the most success, but even they've been bumbling more often than not.

Don't misunderstand me, 'triots fans, they've still been great, but being in the worst division over the last decade and a half has helped the Pats immensely.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Sports aren't fair.

Don't forget God's Team's hold on the NFC North. Two-straight 15-year HOF QBs.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Sports aren't fair.

That's probably the real lesson right there. If you get a great quarterback -- and change the rules to always favor that quarterback -- you can be perpetually good.

The NFL concentrates too much power in one position, so one position can dominate the league for just about forever.

No other sport is so outsized in game-to-game positional balance as is football.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Sports aren't fair.

That's probably the real lesson right there. If you get a great quarterback -- and change the rules to always favor that quarterback -- you can be perpetually good.

The NFL concentrates too much power in one position, so one position can dominate the league for just about forever.

No other sport is so outsized in game-to-game positional balance as is football.

Maybe starting pitchers in MLB, but since you need at least five of 'em, getting the Tom Brady equivalent hurler is watered down. So in terms of "one player", no doubt.

QB has always been important, but now that it's such a pass-happy, underthrown-pass interference-happy league making it harder every year to play defense, the absolute cream of the crop QBs are going to be legitimate threats to win the Super Bowl every year. The Pats only have a couple of more years...but maybe they get the next Aaron Rodgers in the next draft...and I have come to accept that Aaron Rodgers #2 is going to be drafted by the Packers in about five years.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

Man, the Bills have spent an entire generation drafting Losman, Edwards, Manuel, etc. expecting wins.

Sports are fair.

They sure are.

From a fan perspective they are aggravating. Watching the Pack make a seemingly meaningless trade for Favre and being legit for the next 15 years was bad enough. Then seeing them get an even better QB that fell in their lap and suddenly, they are good for 30 years...and I don't care how great people think their fans are...in the "real world" of the 1980s, they were not that special.

And yes, I am well aware that most teams could have drafted Rodgers. Good move by Green Bay...it still kinda fits the "unfair" narrative though. I cheer for a team that will never win a Super Bowl. I've kinda accepted that. But it kinda sucks that the never-ending dig for the next Aaron Rodgers will allude all but a couple of teams.

POTD (Shared)

Don't misunderstand me, 'triots fans, they've still been great, but being in the worst division over the last decade and a half has helped the Pats immensely.

As a Patriots fan, no doubt. 7 bye weeks has been nice.

Even when they lose to the Jets or Dolphins or even Bills, they've treated those as litmus tests, finding out where they've been slacking, more than 'omg we're doomed'.

With all due respect, the AFC South hasn't been good since the Titans & Jaguars quit years ago, the Texans keep quitting. The NFC South doesn't know how to do much special. NFC East gets a mild mis-perception being on prime time every other week all season long. NFC North bumbles around. NFC West just started to play football a couple years ago. So yeah, while the Patriots have enjoyed the AFC East, they'd probably garner 11 win seasons in about 3-4 other divisions.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

From a fan perspective they are aggravating. Watching the Pack make a seemingly meaningless trade for Favre and being legit for the next 15 years was bad enough. Then seeing them get an even better QB that fell in their lap and suddenly, they are good for 30 years...and I don't care how great people think their fans are...in the "real world" of the 1980s, they were not that special.

When I started watching the NFL, I remember the 'Battle of the Bays' between hapless Tampa Bay & Green Bay... for some bragging rights of who wasn't the worst.

That really probably only was the case a couple times, but I digress.

As for Brady & Rodgers' draftings being so smart... New England would've picked him in an earlier round if they were geniuses, don't be confused; & Green Bay essentially grabbed Rodgers because he was still there. They had him benchwarming behind Favre.

btw, the next 30 for 30 is about the Bills' SB era. Scott Norwood's 3rd ever filmed interview or something.

@2001mark

Man, the Bills have spent an entire generation drafting Losman, Edwards, Manuel, etc. expecting wins.

Sports are fair.

They sure are.

You're proving my point. Since Brady, the great QB list is Manning, Rivers, Brees, Wilson, and Roethelisberger. Maybe Cam Newton.

So that's 7 guys in 15 years in a 30-team league. Lots of other QBs are drafted along the way and most flame out. Some (like Flacco) luck into a Super Bowl.

Brady and Belichik are good, but the NFL also institutionally supports QBs over all other positions. If rules favored defenses, you might have more variance at the top because you wouldn't concentrate power in one guy.

The Pats won the lottery with Brady; we can all agree on that. However, teams should also be able to win titles with transcendent talent at, say, linebacker or running back. The way the rules are set up, though, is not possible.

The NBA is also heavily reliant on having one or two great talents to win titles, but it's not like a Stephen Curry layup gets more points than a James Harden one. Or, more comparable, a foul on Curry gives the same one or two point opportunity as any other player. It doesn't dramatically change the game the way PI calls do in the NFL.

When I started watching the NFL, I remember the 'Battle of the Bays' between hapless Tampa Bay & Green Bay... for some bragging rights of who wasn't the worst.

That really probably only was the case a couple times, but I digress.

As for Brady & Rodgers' draftings being so smart... New England would've picked him in an earlier round if they were geniuses, don't be confused; & Green Bay essentially grabbed Rodgers because he was still there. They had him benchwarming behind Favre.

btw, the next 30 for 30 is about the Bills' SB era. Scott Norwood's 3rd ever filmed interview or something.

Exactly...good for those teams...but there is a ton of luck involved. Strictly, it's not "unfair". The Packers/Pats had some luck and that's how it goes. It's "unfair" from the perspective of fanbases...that's life, of course, but there's some "unfairness" there.

POTD (Shared)

As a Patriots fan, no doubt. 7 bye weeks has been nice.

Even when they lose to the Jets or Dolphins or even Bills, they've treated those as litmus tests, finding out where they've been slacking, more than 'omg we're doomed'.

With all due respect, the AFC South hasn't been good since the Titans & Jaguars quit years ago, the Texans keep quitting. The NFC South doesn't know how to do much special. NFC East gets a mild mis-perception being on prime time every other week all season long. NFC North bumbles around. NFC West just started to play football a couple years ago. So yeah, while the Patriots have enjoyed the AFC East, they'd probably garner 11 win seasons in about 3-4 other divisions.

Hate on the division all you want but when it comes down to it, the Pats get the wins in the playoffs and thats what matters

a2BRS8U.png

For all we're gonna hear about DeSean's...... punt misadventure, WAS might have still won the game if they didn't make Lucky Whitehead look like Mel Grey on that ensuing kick return.

His decision is what makes the play a bad one... tie game late when it was, you absolutely cannot jeopardize possession let alone field position so deep.

Had they been down by one score, sure, try & make something happen.

@2001mark

Seth Joyner responding to Demarco Murray crying to the owner about his playing time "I'd tell him to sit his ass on the bench and grovel like a baby for the 5 or 6 carries he's going to get from here on out because that's what he is - a baby".

Apparently on Dallas it was cool to bypass the coach and go to the owner and he'd overrule the coach. That ain't how it works in the real world. Apparently his teammates have started to alienate him now because of his attitude.

He claims he wants to stay here (of course he has to say that) but has called Ed Werder in Dallas, and word on the street is he's going to try and orchestrate a return to the Cowboys in the offseason (no idea how that could happen unless they trade for him, and I'm not sure why the Eagles would deal with the Cowboys, other than he sucks and wouldn't help them).

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived