The one photo that defines a player or career

infrared41

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There were two that immediately popped into my mind that I haven't seen here yet (Elway's helicopter dive and Jordan's shot against the Jazz were the other two that I considered, but both have already been posted).

The first is Zlatan Ibrahimovic's ridiculous, inhuman 30 yard bicycle kick goal against England. I haven't followed soccer for very long, but this alone was enough to turn me into a PSG supporter.

article-2538760-1AA37B6800000578-425_634

The other bends the rules of the thread a bit, because it's hard to capture it in one instant, but Reggie Miller's 8 points in 9 seconds against the Knicks is one of my earliest pro sports memories. Wow. It's hard to believe that was over 20 years ago.

82d401a8989d2119ffd0acbcf6bcff13.jpg

I'd say the Reggie choke sign describes it pretty well

augusta_1.jpg

Not the one of he's ball on the edge of the cup before falling in?

I've got three for each. Sue me. (In chronological order.)

Teemu Selanne:

1) The Gun Celebration

54%20goal.jpg

2) 2007 WCF Game 5 OT-winner over a sprawling Dominik Hasek on the tried-and-true Selanne move, forehand-backhand-waterbottle. (In my mind, the goal that won the Stanley Cup.)

DetroitSeries3.jpg

3) Selanne ends his regular season victory lap by grabbing J.S. Giguere, in his own final NHL game, and pulling him around the Anaheim rink for his own victory lap. Really a career/person-defining move by the Finnish Flash.

041314-West-NHL-Teemu-Selanne-4-PI.jpg

Speaking of, Jean-Sebastien Giguere:

1) 2003 WCQF, Giguere pulls the puck out of a scrum vs Detroit and holds it high en route to the stunning upset sweep of the Stanley Cup Champs.

1939299_slide.jpg

2. 2007 Stanley Cup Final, Giguere waits during the Canadian national anthem with some poignant lyrics for a goaltender above him.

74359882_slide.jpg

3. 2007 Stanley Cup on-ice celebration, Giguere skates among the confetti with his newborn child, a child Giguere missed the start of the playoffs for while the baby had a serious health issue upon birth.

74427498.jpg

And finally, Paul Kariya:

For Kariya, it's all one sequence. 2003 Stanley Cup Final Game 6 - "Off the floor, On the board." The hit, the KO, the fogged up mask from waking up, the goal celebration.

08ab5b896a395d74759db733792f03a4.jpg

110613paulkariya.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Paul_Kariya.jpg

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

The other bends the rules of the thread a bit, because it's hard to capture it in one instant, but Reggie Miller's 8 points in 9 seconds against the Knicks is one of my earliest pro sports memories. Wow. It's hard to believe that was over 20 years ago.

Looking back on it, yes, it definitely does, but I don't remember that moment from my childhood. The clearest moment in my mind is the steal and the second three pointer. The image that comes to mind when I think about it is Miller in the air, fully extended, just after he released that shot. That's what I was looking for.

championship_banners_sig_by_verasthebruj

History of a Fictional Football League (1989)

Thread - Logos - Uniforms - History

Steve Young, getting the monkey off my back and exorcising the ghosts of Montana

super-bowl.jpg

Maybe it's just because I'm such a big Steve Young fan, but I was having a hard time coming up with one for him.

I considered that one, one of "the run" vs. the Vikings in 1988, or fist pumping after "The Catch II" in 1998. They all, to me, define Steve Young's career. (Well, that and laying unconscious after being hit by Aeneas Williams...)

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Looking back on it, yes, it definitely does, but I don't remember that moment from my childhood. The clearest moment in my mind is the steal and the second three pointer. The image that comes to mind when I think about it is Miller in the air, fully extended, just after he released that shot. That's what I was looking for.
It was from a completely different game, but it does describe him and the Knicks as a whole. The Knicks choking against the Pacers in the playoffs in the late 90s

_41185457_gerrardtrophy.jpg

100977.jpg

10 points to whoever can name what is going on here

Micheal Scheumacher winning his 1st F1 championship.

IDK.......................

Right sport. Wrong person and therefore wrong year.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

This one shows a lot about how I'll always remember Rivers. I'd also accept a picture of him yelling at the other team from the sideline, like an ass.

3fb5e0752f6cd7f1966ef07371aa4fd8.jpg

And to balance Larry Walker as an Expo, because he will always be my favorite Rocky.

larry.walker.jpg

Finally, adding this one of Phil Mickelson. Nice shot of him at the top of golf with his first major championship, while also showing why he's not in a different sport as he barely gets off the ground.

SUB-Y-GOLF-master675-v2.jpg

This one shows a lot about how I'll always remember Rivers. I'd also accept a picture of him yelling at the other team from the sideline, like an ass.

3fb5e0752f6cd7f1966ef07371aa4fd8.jpg

If this is the game I'm thinking of, you forgot the part where Cutler grabbed his crotch at the Chargers' sideline and started talking trash first.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

flutie_article.jpg

Hail Mary

pg2_g_reed_300.jpg

Andre Reed throwing his helmet... pairs well with any pic of Thurman without a helmet

Norwood.jpg

Oof.

84140082-football-casual-portrait-of-buf

Rob Johnson from the imfamous "Calm Before the Storm" slampiece in SI

51pJgfhs-sL._SL246_SX190_CR0,0,190,246_.

Can't find this in better quality... to me, this was always the definitive Kelly pic, standing tall in the pocket with his signature hand warmer and a snow drift in the backdrop... I believe the shot is from the '90 AFC title game blowout vs Oakland

c31kgp4qylid9m1jdsu2d7gl4.490x408x1.jpg

Troy celebrating his first Super Bowl victory

Archived