The one photo that defines a player or career

infrared41

First time I discovered the joy of NFL football was watching Super Bowl XII. This man was patrolling the sidelines. While it doesn't define his career as a player, it does a good job (IMHO) of defining his career as a coach.

dm_130602_NFL_20Greatest_8_Tom_Landry.jp

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First time I discovered the joy of NFL football was watching Super Bowl XII. This man was patrolling the sidelines. While it doesn't define his career as a player, it does a good job (IMHO) of defining his career as a coach.

Believe it or not this is the picture most think about with Landry

landry.png

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Some I thought of are here--like Bobby Orr & Ken Dryden

Here's a less impressive accomplishment--unfortunately for Tommy Salo who was never the same afterwards-

salo.png

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Speaking of, Jean-Sebastien Giguere:

3. 2007 Stanley Cup on-ice celebration, Giguere skates among the confetti with his newborn child, a child Giguere missed the start of the playoffs for while the baby had a serious health issue upon birth.

74427498.jpg

I agree with the above picture. It replaced this one:

t_37106_medium.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

I can't believe nobody has posted this yet:

Randy Johnson

Bird_Beanball.png

It hadn't been posted because this isn't the "do a google search for well known pictures of players and post them" thread.

I'm going the other way on this one. It defines Johnson's career so much that he uses as the logo for his professional photography business. If the player uses it to define him, I'd say that's pretty much the deciding factor.

RJ-New-Web-Logo-black-glow.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

This defines how the Rocket played, and therefore defines him.

Although I never saw him play--I've seen this picture used to illustrate so many articles about him.

And I've seen opposing players refer to this as well

aaarocketrichard.0.gif

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Believe it or not this is the picture most think about with Landry

landry.png

You think about him your way. I will think about him mine.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Not sure what the right Ronda Rousey photo is, but her pre-match game face is incredible:

ronda-rousey-ufc-1752.jpg

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

...and I don't think there's a shred of inauthenticity or false showmanship to it, either.

Given the comments made by Correia before the fight, Rousey looked like she wanted to rip her heart out through her throat - and probably could have done it.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Ron Tugnutt:

YOUmLGy.jpg

after giving up one of the coolest OT goals, IMO. He has enough time to react to it flubbing off his glove, but not enough time to stop it.

RJ Umberger, "That guy who got laid out by Brian Campbell":

UMBERGER-847x467.png

Archived