Who to support in the Premier League

jaker52

Liverpool is fun if you like being kicked in the nutz.

Honestly, being a Reds fan is akin to being a Leafs fan. Past glories, yadayada, & yet nothing much to show for lately.

In a way, it's bizarrely fun that way, for both.

The problem with that analogy is that Liverpool are consistently in the top 6 or 7 every year. The Leafs could easily be the worst team in the NHL this year. But I digress.

The watch-and-see method is good, and that's how I became a Liverpool fan. If you're looking for a "bigger-ish" club, I'd suggest one of Man City, Liverpool, or Arsenal. Man Utd and Chelsea have way too much money to spend and in my opinion are akin to the Yankees and Red Sox of the EPL. Plus Chelsea have possibly the most arrogant human being on the planet as their manager in Jose Mourinho, and once you get to know him a little bit you'll see why.

spacer.png

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only European side I've come to really root for was Bayern. I went to Germany for work, didn't know much about German soccer at the time and found Bayern stuff in the giant adidas store I went to. Kinda thinking they were the nearby local side, and of course having heard of them before, I bought some gear and started rooting for them. When I got home I realized why I had actually heard of them, they were like the Yankees, Cowboys, and Canadians combined, they never lose.

I watched them a bit, enjoyed it a lot but then I started to lose interest because it honestly wasn't fun. I never got why people were Ohio State or Alabama fans unless you were from there, because what's interesting about winning ALL THE TIME? i realized I was in that situation. You don't really live for your team when they win all the time, you only die for them. So I root for them, just not that actively.

I've tried to find an EPL side but it just seems forced. I have no connection to these teams. I got so much more enjoyment watching Indy Eleven only win twice at home last year in the 2nd division of the U.S. than I ever got seeing Bayern win the Champions League.

Maybe someday I'll go there and find a team I can identify with but trying to find one here seems really hard.

I guess this isn't super relevant other to say, let it happen naturally and try not to root for one of the teams that win all the time. The struggle makes the success that much sweeter.

As a Bayern fan, I feel you. Constantly winning does get stale after a while. I picked Bayern as my Bundesliga side since their team is basically the same as the German national team, and the Allianz is a cool stadium. But other than that? I don't really care for them that much. In fact, I only really watch them when they play Dortmund, or in the Champions League. If I do drop them, I probably won't pick another club, and just focus on NYCFC, Arsenal, and Milan.

When I first started watching EPL, someone at the pub on a Sunday morning gave me this bit of wisdom: "It's not as important who you love, as it is who you hate." But yeah, watch a season or two and you'll find your way. I landed on Crystal Palace, because they're the awesomest.

I'll go along with what everyone else is saying. Just watch and you will find a team. There is nothing wrong with supporting multiple European club teams. Heck I have 3 NFL teams I root for. I settled on Crystal Palace. I love their crest and a red and blue color scheme with a hint of yellow is almost always beautiful to me.

Palace is a pretty awesome club. Great fans, play in a bit of a :censored:hole of a stadium, best colors in the league, awesome name. If I’d started this soccer team a couple years later, I might’ve found my way there.

Also re: rooting for a really good team. Most of y’all who’ve been around will remember I used to be huge for PSG, following them almost as much as I followed Villa. Eventually though? It got boring really, really quickly. Thanks, oil money. :/

I wouldn’t mind “finding” another Ligue 1 club, because the league is awesome, but I’ve still got too much of a soft spot for PSG to ditch them completely.

6fQjS3M.png

I don't like the Premier League. I don't like the way that the league is ran and I don't like that four teams do all of the winning. I like Major League Soccer. It is run so much better and is so much more fun to watch.

And now, posts from an eight-year-old.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't like the Premier League. I don't like the way that the league is ran and I don't like that four teams do all of the winning. I like Major League Soccer. It is run so much better and is so much more fun to watch.

Not the right place to post this I'm sure. He was asking what team to support not if you like it or not.

glory10.png

Always lots of room on the Norwich bandwagon. :D

But, seriously, just watch some games and you'll eventually gravitate towards one.

Also, Sod: I thought you were a Goon?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived