When the league logo first appeared on their jerseys?

johnnysama

This is a thread chronicling when a sports league first put its league logo on the team jerseys of all teams.

This is based on what info I have:

NBA: 1986-87 season (first league to do so, on the upper left side from 1986-2014, since 2014, on the center top back)
NHL: 1990-91 season (first on the rear right, on the collar itself since 2007-08)

NFL: 1991 season (always on the front collar, was altered to add the word 'Equipment' in 2002 with Reebok taking over the uniform contract, then displaying just the NFL shield [albeit the current one introduced in 2008] in 2012 when Nike assumed the contract)

MLB: 2000 season (Last of the big four to implement this practice; always on the center top back)

MLS, AFAIK, has always had their logo on the left sleeve.

Additionally, the CFL first put their logo on the front collar in 1992; the logo was changed radically in 2002.

I believe all this info is correct, if you want to add anything or correct me, don't hesitate to reach me.

UBwef0L.png

MLS has always been on the right sleeve. They added flags in 2007 and this is the first year with the league logo on both sleeves. The league patch changed several times in size and with the introduction of Major League Soccer under the MLS lettering.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived