MLB Tweaks: Rockies Updated

SFGiants58

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you tried making the wheat going on the tail of the scripts

I did think about it, but I felt that a more restrained look would be better. The barley leaves are already on the cap logo, cuffs, and pants stripe. Putting it on the script tails would be a bit overkill. Also, I'd appreciate a more eloquent response than a punctuation-less request for a certain design element.

I just went through and re-read your entire Project 30 series and I have to say, many of your concepts are amazing. Your Padres set might be the best one I've ever seen on these forums (or anywhere else, for that matter). I have no idea how you could possibly improve upon it.

As for the two concepts in this thread, the Twins are an improvement; the white script with red outlines is inspired. That Brewers concept is simply beautiful--my only complaint is that the road alternate is perhaps too blue. Maybe give the cap a yellow bill?

These two teams have been great so far!

The Twins look great, and so do the Brewers! Your Milwaukee has a great color scheme, but the "M" logo looks a bit off to me. I understand that the single wheat stalk at the bottom is a nod to their current cap logo, but it looks odd with that block "M" you used. Maybe having two wheat stalks crossing over each other at the bottom could work?

Thanks. I've updated the "M" logo to have the two barley leaves intersecting, and I've placed a yellow bill on the blue alternate. I thought about dumping the ball-in-glove, but I felt it fit in with the brand (a representation of "MB").

Version 2.5

20071324650_7595701755_b.jpg

20259328965_57a5c4a17a_b.jpg

20072732259_f4822bf6a1_b.jpg

...and a minor tweak to one of my original concepts!

DETROIT TIGERS

Version 1

This update is far less significant than the previous updates. While I'm OK with my original, I felt it could be improved. I added four orange sock stripes with white outlines to the road uniform to reference both an apocryphal story on the origin of the team's name and the aesthetic history of the team. The rare-use alternates have also been updated. The navy blue alt (solely to be used in Spring Training/exhibition games) loses its placket trim (as I felt it didn't gel with the script), gains cuff striping, uses the road uniforms' sock stripes, and now has a sleeve patch featuring the modern Tiger head. The road alternate now uses the Olde English D logo from 1921-24, making it a more accurate imitation of the road uniforms from the period, albeit with more modern elements like the numbers and NOB.

20023589859_0d191ea4cb_b.jpg

20215922201_91f3f505fc_b.jpg

20023590489_709dc613e5_b.jpg

While it may not be a radical transformation, I still think it these minor tweaks do bump the set up a bit. C+C is greatly appreciated!

The Brewers look great, but I think I like your original hat logo better, the asymmetrical "M". It matches the upward slanted wordmark on the chest. Great work all around. I love that block'ish M, a lot. I would buy that original blue hat.

Have you tried making the wheat going on the tail of the scripts

I did think about it, but I felt that a more restrained look would be better. The barley leaves are already on the cap logo, cuffs, and pants stripe. Putting it on the script tails would be a bit overkill. Also, I'd appreciate a more eloquent response than a punctuation-less request for a certain design element.

I just went through and re-read your entire Project 30 series and I have to say, many of your concepts are amazing. Your Padres set might be the best one I've ever seen on these forums (or anywhere else, for that matter). I have no idea how you could possibly improve upon it.

As for the two concepts in this thread, the Twins are an improvement; the white script with red outlines is inspired. That Brewers concept is simply beautiful--my only complaint is that the road alternate is perhaps too blue. Maybe give the cap a yellow bill?

These two teams have been great so far!

The Twins look great, and so do the Brewers! Your Milwaukee has a great color scheme, but the "M" logo looks a bit off to me. I understand that the single wheat stalk at the bottom is a nod to their current cap logo, but it looks odd with that block "M" you used. Maybe having two wheat stalks crossing over each other at the bottom could work?

Thanks. I've updated the "M" logo to have the two barley leaves intersecting, and I've placed a yellow bill on the blue alternate. I thought about dumping the ball-in-glove, but I felt it fit in with the brand (a representation of "MB").

Version 2.5

20071324650_7595701755_b.jpg

20259328965_57a5c4a17a_b.jpg

20072732259_f4822bf6a1_b.jpg

Hmm. I dunno. There's a lot I love about this set, from the tertiary logo (which really belongs on more than one jersey) to the color scheme to your new script wordmark. Although have you considered a different tail?

1948_MajesticJersey_wordmark.jpg

That would be unique in MLB.

I also have to say that I don't like the barley stripes on cuffs and outseam. Just too much. But you've given me something to think about with that cap logo.

I too prefer the original asymmetrical "M" logo. It was a bit more playful than this new one. I think you should go back to that one, but keep the yellow-billed cap.

Honestly--and don't take this the wrong way--I've never liked the navy top with orange script alternate concept for Detroit. I think for a team called the Tigers--if they have to have a solid colored alternate--orange should be worn with more prominence. Try reversing the color on the alternate, giving them an orange top with navy script.

Love what you did with the Brewers. The scripts in royal and yellow are simply beautiful, and I like your original, asymmetrical M-barley logo. It already feels like an iconic look. I'm not a fan of the BiG in this set, though. I wouldn't mind seeing it with the current throwback or a fauxback, but it clashes with the cap logo and scrips. Also, I'd love to see the barrelman on every jersey!

Hmm. I dunno. There's a lot I love about this set, from the tertiary logo (which really belongs on more than one jersey) to the color scheme to your new script wordmark. Although have you considered a different tail?

(picture of 1948 Brewers throwback, which is beautiful but too big for this post)

That would be unique in MLB.

I also have to say that I don't like the barley stripes on cuffs and outseam. Just too much. But you've given me something to think about with that cap logo.

Love what you did with the Brewers. The scripts in royal and yellow are simply beautiful, and I like your original, asymmetrical M-barley logo. It already feels like an iconic look. I'm not a fan of the BiG in this set, though. I wouldn't mind seeing it with the current throwback or a fauxback, but it clashes with the cap logo and scrips. Also, I'd love to see the barrelman on every jersey!

Thanks guys. I think it's about time I updated the Brewers:

Version 3

I decided to revert back to the asymmetrical M-barley logo, as I felt it was more compact and kept more within the "sweeping" nature of the scripts. Owgust the Beer Barrelman is now the secondary logo, and a version of Owgust in front of the state of Wisconsin (with the glove over Milwaukee) is now the tertiary. On the uniforms, the scripts' tails have been tweaked to more resemble the tail of the Brewers' script from the 1940's. This not only allows them to have more unique scripts, but also preserves a visual continuity between the different iterations of the Brewers (the American Association club and the MLB team).

20284686069_0dd06d4fa7_b.jpg

The barley stripes are staying, as they provide a unique striping element within a normal striping region and mimic the striping pattern of my Version 1 of the Brewers. Owgust is now a sleeve patch on all of the uniforms, with the blue using the tertiary version (to represent the location, as the alternate does not use a "Milwaukee" script).

19848698564_ffa42de3f8_b.jpg

20477620691_3b44dc2896_b.jpg

I didn't want to entirely eliminate the BiG from their logo set, and I wanted to pay tribute to the American Association Brewers club, so I opted to add throwback/fauxback uniforms to be worn occasionally (but not enough to create an identity crisis like the current Brewers).

The BiG fauxback is basically their 1993 home uniform (because of the NOB), but with some changes. Most notably, the uniform gains a sleeve patch that isn't the BiG (one of my nitpicks of the current fauxback), but is instead the 1970's Beer Barrelman in front of the original Wisconsin logo (with the Milwaukee star next to the Barrelman's foot). Also, the socks are striped with the Seattle Pilots' sock stripe pattern, honoring a small part of the Brewers' franchise history while keeping the Mariners far away from entertaining the royal/yellow color scheme again with a gaudy fauxback.

The other throwback is a recreation of the 1948 American Association Brewers' home uniform, which corrects some minor inaccuracies of the 2013 throwback. The cap logo now looks more like the actual cap logo, and the jersey now has raglan sleeves (which required me to adjust the template) and a zipper front. A navy/red version of Ren's Ogwust rendering has been added to the sleeve to help all of the uniforms tie in with a visual continuity, namely a script front with an Owgust/Beer Barrelman sleeve and an "M/MB" cap logo.

20477620081_b5c924f318_b.jpg

This identity for the Brewers takes elements from the history of the MLB club and the history of baseball in Milwaukee (the American Association Brewers and their affiliation with the future Milwaukee Braves), and incorporates them into a cohesive identity that balances both modernity and vintage charm. The throwbacks/fauxbacks also aid this goal, as they carry across a visual continuity of script and logo design with references to various points of Milwaukee's baseball history (i.e. the BiG, pinstripes, the classic script, and the Braves affiliation). C+C is greatly appreciated!

That's nice, Giants. I'd like to post them on my blog - how would you like to be credited?

Thanks you! Credit me as [NAME REDACTED], or SFGiants58 from boards.sportslogos.net (whichever works for your blog). Also, make sure to credit Ren69 for the Beer Barrelman rendering. It inspired me to go this route with the Brewers, and I can't thank him enough for his work.

I think you finally nailed the Brewers. Perfect.

Will you be tweaking all 30 MLB teams from your Project 30 series or just select ones you were unsatisfied with?

I'm mostly going to be handling teams I was unsatisfied with originally (i.e. the Twins and the soon to be posted Braves), or alternate explorations on the team's identity (i.e. the Brewers and a yet to be revealed team).

Archived