MLB Tweaks: Rockies Updated

SFGiants58

So, I'm back! Also, I've got something for you guys: a double feature!

KANSAS CITY ROYALS

This a refinement of the purple/gold concept from Project 30. I still stand by this recoloring, as it conveys an air of regal-ness (considering the usage of both purple and yellow-gold in royal imagery across the world) while still being a classic color scheme and differentiating the team from the Dodgers. I wouldn't want them to change what they have now, but I do think this color scheme would have been an excellent option as well (making sure to not look too much like KC's previous team, the A's). The changes made here are mostly refinements, as all of the gold scripts/logos lose their white outlines (which muddied the logos) and the asymmetrical striping on the cuffs/pants becomes symmetrical (to both reference the Royals' stripes from 1972-1994 and to promote stripe consistency with the sock stripes). The road greys' grey color has also been changed, to better compliment the color scheme.

22602882862_340a4f17cd_b.jpg

Uniforms

21995254163_2c3b02f0d2_b.jpg

21993626414_3e316b4a07_b.jpg

TEXAS RANGERS

This one is one of the "alternate colorway" experiments I hinted at earlier in this series. While I like the blue-dominant Rangers, the red-dominant look of 1994-1999 is fantastic as well. So, I altered my previous Rangers concept to fit with this new colorway. I made a few additional changes, like putting the badge logo on the road uniform (it has the "Texas" script, so it doesn't really need the Texas flag) and altering the sock stripes slightly.

22068810014_7c9daf0eb0_b.jpg

Uniforms

22069764903_e85378c81b_b.jpg

22069765573_7880fbea8f_b.jpg

C+C is greatly appreciated!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the Royals, I think it would look great if it has a drop shadow trim (like the 2002-2006 era), black for the home white & road gray jerseys, and possibly white for the alternate purple jersey

For the Rangers, everything looks sleek and legit (especially without the piping lines in the center of the jersey). By the way, which font is close to that wordmark at that time? Just curious.

Anyways, wonderful concepts so far. Great job.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, I'm back with two new sets!

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES

This concept takes the basic idea from my Project 30 concept for the team, but shifts it in a slightly different direction. Instead of applying the 1970-1991 logos and colors to the current template, I instead chose to use cleaned-up versions of the "Whiz Kids" era logos on the current template (provided by Matt Malinoski). Aside from applying the old scripts to my previous logos, I also lightened the shade of red, turning it into something between maroon and the current bright red. I kept powder blue as an accent color/star color, as I think it's more distinct than royal (especially in the NL East). The number font is from my Brewers throwback concept, as I felt that font worked well as a slight update of the Whiz Kids-era font. I made the sleeves raglan, like they would have been in the "Whiz Kids" era (and in the Maroon years). It doesn't show on the template, but these pinstripes would be woven like the Yankees (as would all pinstripes, to avoid the pink look). The cuffs on the road uniform have better definition than the previous concept, and the sleeve numbers are smaller. The alternates are the same as in the previous concept, albeit tweaked to fit with the new home and road set.

20035614394_d8db4ff33d_b.jpg

20664866651_e4a9c4f7dd_b.jpg

20037222743_1e8bd66aeb_b.jpg

SEATTLE MARINERS

This is one I hinted at in the MLB 2016 Changes thread, in which I demonstrated different options the Mariners had for script display. The teal with navy outlines set drew some interesting responses, so I decided to see what the whole set would look like with that as its focus. I went back to my previous concept, and changed up the color balance of the scripts, numbers, and primary logo (in its sleeve patch form, an addition I made in this version). I also removed the placket piping (which I felt cluttered the logos, and based the sleeve striping around the Mariners' current sock striping. The alternates have been adjusted to fit within the new uniform template as well. I think that this concept optimizes the Mariners' fantastic color scheme by differentiating the navy and teal shades more, and by placing much more focus on their unique color (now that the Marlins don't use it) and getting more use out of one of the best hats in MLB history.

25668727891_589e37b128_b.jpg

25668728321_666006dc1b_b.jpg

25668728681_a8d7c12204_b.jpg

C+C is greatly appreciated, as always!

I love following this series. 

Phillies look wonderful--I really like the new shade of red you came up with.

Mariners are a big improvement over your original concept. I'm surprised by how much I like that teal wordmark. 

• 1 month later...

After watching Regular Car Reviews' video on the P-71 Police Interceptor (which is hilarious, go watch his stuff), it got me thinking about the DC Metro Area/Beltway. Therefore, I decided it was appropriate to return to this series with two Beltway concepts!

BALTIMORE ORIOLES

While I am still pleased with my first Orioles concept, I feel like I didn't go far enough in fixing up the team's look. In updating them for these tweaks, I decided to take John Adsit's excellent update of the cartoon bird and replace the O's logo with the 1963 Block B (as I did on my previous set). His logo not only has more continuity with the myriad of of older cartoon birds, but is also a little more compact. 

26800968525_7c040b3900_b.jpg

On the uniform side of things, the white front panel cap gets demoted to alternate status. While I do think that it looks good, it isn't as beautiful as the road cap. I also evened out the stripe widths, making them clearer. The classic striped socks remain, as they really add a nice punch to the color balance. On the road uniform, I tweaked the "Baltimore" script to fit more with the 1989-94 "Orioles" script (a tailed version of their dynasty-era script). Linked here is the comparison.

26776734746_133b1ab275_b.jpg

On the alternates, I decided to forgo a black alt. Since the Giants have both an orange and black alt in my concepts, I only thought it fitting that the Orioles only have orange alternates, albeit with different color balances. The home alt now bears the white front panel cap (with white elements outlined in black), while the road alt showcases a flip in color balance to fit with the road cap (black elements outlined in white).

26196168784_9e1049f84a_b.jpg

The white front panel cap gets paired with the home uniform as a Sunday alt (so it sees some exposure), and a 1954 fauxback appears as a once-a-season alternate. It differs from the original due to outlines on the numbers (the original felt naked without them), and the presence of Ren69's cleaned-up 1954 cartoon bird (as it's too fantastic not to use somewhere).

26800968615_753db9925b_b.jpg

I think that I've managed to modernize the late 1960's Orioles look effectively, with little tributes to the '70's and 80's thrown in for their uniqueness.

WASHINGTON NATIONALS

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my first Nationals concept. However, reading some of the board's opinions on the uniforms got me thinking about trying something a little different with them. Instead of being red/royal and red dominant, I changed them up to be a navy (the lighter navy the Padres and Braves use, not the dark navy of the Yankees and Red Sox)/red color scheme with navy being dominant. While red still plays an important part in their color scheme, I decided it was best to maximize navy (which helps them stand out from the red/navy mixed Braves). This also ties in with the Navy Yard that is almost adjacent to Nationals Park (as many of the comments pointed out on the Sports Logos section). The primary logo and secondary remain focused on the "DC," as I think all of the Washington baseball teams should have their own distinct insignia (1901-1960 has the block W, 1961-1971 has the curly W, and 2005- has the "DC"). The tertiary is a shield logo that incorporates a design inspired by Washington DC's flag and a ribbon with the correct founding date (none of this revisionist puke).

26370731904_40cdfedc79_b.jpg

Onto the uniforms, the "Nationals" script has been tweaked to better resemble the "Washington" script and the unused script. This makes for a more unified set. The "Washington" script has been adjusted to fit with the new color balance, and is the only place in the identity where the curly W can be found (as it's a small reference to the '61-'71 Senators). The sleeve stripes now feature the DC flag-inspired design, to balance both traditional and modern design elements (as the Nats are a modern team in a traditional market, kind of like the Minnesota Wild or the Winnipeg Jets Mk. II). The sock stripes also get cleaned up, both reflecting the new color balance and adding the same dash of red that the cap logo adds.

26370732304_d6d565df3a_b.jpg

The alternates include a red-swapped version of the home uniform (a sort of alt only meant to be taken out a few times a year), and a navy blue alt that would be worn on a more regular basis.

26370731344_59921ae857_b.jpg

Now the Nationals can homage each of the previous Washington baseball teams (the navy-dominance and the occasional nickname of the '01-'60 team and the script-style wordmarks and curly W cameo from the '61-'71), while presenting a look that makes them stand out in the NL East/Major Leagues and blends both traditional and modern elements. C+C is greatly appreciated!

I was just thinking about this series he other day, hoping we would see an update soon!

You did a great job with both teams. I LOVE the Retro Day alternate for the O's; it's probably my favorite concept from these latest updates. I also like the idea of the O's having two orange alternates, one with white script and the other with black. 

Archived