MLB Tweaks: Rockies Updated

SFGiants58

On 7/25/2016 at 4:11 PM, mbannon92 said:

Love love love the Padres. The color scheme, logos, font, and unis are all gorgeous. And the sand road works really well with the brown and yellow. The only criticism I have is the spacing of "San Diego" in the primary logo. Shorten that space between the words a little (similar to the full wordmark) and this is perfect.

On 7/26/2016 at 6:19 AM, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Wow- that Padres set is fantastic. My only criticism is that the dark brown is too dark, almost black. Getting a real Pirates vibe from it. Maybe just a tad lighter and these would be perfect. 

Thanks for the C+C guys, I really appreciate it. I've decided to update the Padres with a tweak to the "San Diego" in the primary logo and a lighter shade of brown (the old one looked a bit too dark). While it's still dark enough to contrast well with the yellow, it's light enough to register as brown in multiple lighting scenarios (something that can be a problem).

28038166903_a7b6d6d5f3_b.jpg

28654484635_1bcaa3f00c_b.jpg

28038167863_ef9892023e_b.jpg

On 7/23/2016 at 8:44 PM, coco1997 said:

I've always been a big fan of kevinmets' take on the Rangers:

Your Padres are brilliant. That Mission logo is a work of art. Very original idea!

Based on that hint at the end of your last post, I'm guessing we're getting the Angels next? 

Thanks Coco. I've always been a enjoyed @kevinmets and his concepts, and I wish he'd come back more often. The Angels will be next, along with a few more "color experiments."

On 7/26/2016 at 11:22 AM, TheGiantsFan said:

Awesome job on the Padres, my friend! :)

It's pretty awesome seeing my idea be realized, especially as to how I never went around to finishing that Padres concept. 

Thanks man!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A little late, but with the Rays, I think you hit a home run with your first concept (Tampa Bay Stingrays with the double-green). Most of the time, I hate it when people bring back the green in their Rays concepts (and they always do), because although it looks good, we were absolutely terrible during the green years, while we watched as Arizona won the WS in their 3rd year. However, as soon as we switched to double-blue, we made the WS and fans love it because of that. Anyway, that double-green concept was incredible.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

ExJworW.png

First of all, wonderful job on the concept of the Tampa Bay Rays, plus cool custom font (which I'm curious where is it from).

Secondly, Arizona won the WS on its 4th season, while winning its 1st division title & making to the playoffs on its 2nd season.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

On 8/2/2016 at 8:00 AM, Magic Dynasty said:

A little late, but with the Rays, I think you hit a home run with your first concept (Tampa Bay Stingrays with the double-green). Most of the time, I hate it when people bring back the green in their Rays concepts (and they always do), because although it looks good, we were absolutely terrible during the green years, while we watched as Arizona won the WS in their 3rd year. However, as soon as we switched to double-blue, we made the WS and fans love it because of that. Anyway, that double-green concept was incredible.

Thank you for your interest in my earlier concepts! However, I dislike that concept. The nasty font (the font used by famed metal band Judas Priest) and the "Stingrays" name paired with the image of a Devil Ray (a proper stingray logo would've been better) are not good examples of my work. I do like that color scheme, and I've sometimes thought of reviving it, but I prefer my later concepts for the team (or any of @raysox's concepts for the Rays - seriously, dude does some cool stuff).

Now, onward towards the Angels!

LOS ANGELES ANGELS - Version 1

This is one of those times where I felt I played it too safe. In restoring the early '70's-early '90's uniform template with the current logos, I took away a lot of what made the team distinctive (namely the red dominance and the custom number font). They wound up looking like a SoCal amalgamation of the Braves and Red Sox, and I think it hurt the diversity of league's color schemes. When I went back to the drawing board, I wanted to find a way to make the Angels look distinct while eliminating another navy/red team.

I opted to keep the navy/red/yellow color scheme of my original concept, but I redistributed the colors and changed the shades slightly. Now, the team wears a darker red with athletic gold as the secondary color. Navy remains, but only as a halo color. The logos also receive an overhaul, with a @davidmiller5-inspired primary logo that uses the wings of the 1997-2001 cap logo. The "A" logos no longer have additional outlines, as the single-outline is a cleaner look. The "LA" logo also receives a tweak to fit in with the new color scheme. The cap logo "A" is yellow with a white outline, which would really help the logo shine on the cap (for lack of a better term).

28264754000_765bdd64c0_b.jpg

The home and road uniforms maintain the 1970's-'90's template of the old concept, albeit in the new color scheme. Red caps, undershirts, belts, socks, and shoes return to the set, which helps set them apart from the rest of the AL West (I'm planning for the Rangers to dump red in my next update of them). The primary logo is on the sleeves, as I dislike the redundancy of having a cap logo repeated on the sleeves. The custom number font returns, further distancing them from the Red Sox (seriously, the Red Sox West look lasted way too long). The socks now feature a gold stripe flanked by two white/navy/white stripes, to further the imagery of the cap halos.

28548704995_ed67963113_b.jpg

The alternates receive a significant overhaul for this concept. The Friday red alt (to put a cap on its usage) now features UCLA stripes in between the jersey body and the set-in sleeves. While some people may think that this is a silly idea, it has precedence - namely with the PCL Los Angeles Angels (the namesake of the AL Angels). This style has also proven popular among several of the members here, namely with Discrimihater. Going for the UCLA stripes spices up what would be another dull red alt. The "LA" logo now adorns the sleeve, so that it's used somewhere in the identity. The navy alt is gone, and in its place is a throwback to the 1971 home uniforms, easily the best of their "Red Sox West" uniforms. If they are to have a semi-regular throwback alternate, the '71 home uniform is the ideal option.

27933201753_1b5330d200_b.jpg

BTW, I do find it a little funny that a team with USC's colors is wearing UCLA stripes. :upside:

Also, I've included two bonus road uniforms that could replace the "Angels" road greys. One is an "Anaheim" road should they opt for that as their city name (which recolors and de-bevels the 2002-03 road script), and the other has a "Los Angeles" script done in the style of the "Angels" script (with a larger, halo-ed "A" in "Angeles"). I'd prefer to make an exception in the "team name on home, city/state name on road" rule for the Angels, but I decided to mock up what city name road uniforms would look like.

28548706045_2dc3f7773c_b.jpg

This color experiment allows the Angels to remain a red-dominant team (as they have been through the most successful stretch in franchise history), but gives them a secondary color that helps them to stand out from the rest of the MLB and the other red/navy teams. C+C is greatly appreciated!

On 8/5/2016 at 4:34 PM, Magic Dynasty said:

That's an incredible job on the Angels. However, are they still the LA Angels of Anaheim, simply LA Angels (which they shouldn't be, since they play in Anaheim), or Anaheim Angels? That LA interlock is amazing though

They are simple the Los Angeles Angels, no Anaheim. I did this because it was the name of the vintage Pacific Coast League team that preceded them (and I love all things vintage PCL), and because it's so clearly what the team wants to do. Why bother with the Anaheim pretense, especially since they still play in the Greater Los Angeles Area?

I'm fine with the Ducks being the Anaheim Ducks, if only because that's the only city name they've used.

Now, here are a couple of mini-tweaks!

While I'm planning to do a slightly more extensive tweak for the Giants (one which uses the current road script), I figured I'd show off my attempt to make a matching road script for the team. It uses a condensed version of the home font (as it's what the team did from 1994-9), as the full home font was too wide to work with the long city name. The letter proportions are the same as the current road script.

28803148936_2c5db61191_b.jpg

Next up is a little addendum to my Athletics concept, namely a demonstration of how the team could "Connie Mack"-up their uniforms in the kelly green/athletic gold color scheme. It's what the A's could do if they wanted to honor their long history of having the A/A's logo as a jersey crest, even if it means them eschewing an "Oakland" script. In order to rectify the "no Oakland" problem, I replaced the "A's" logo with an old English "O" logo on the road uniform (a look worn by the PCL Oakland Oaks, which ties in with the old English "A"). Expect to see this "O" logo reappear in a later revision.

28224560663_c1bc46f5b9_b.jpg

While neither of these concepts will supplant any of my previous work, they are little experiments that I wanted to display for you guys. C+C is greatly appreciated!

That new wordmark for the Giants road jersey is so much better than the one they currently use. I think you should stick with that wordmark for your complete Giants set.

The A's look great as well! The off-white uni works surprisingly well with the green and gold.

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm back!

MIAMI MARLINS - Version 1 and 1.5 and Version 2

When the Marlins first unveiled their current look in 2011, I didn't like it that much, but I thought I could rescue it. My early attempts to mend that identity resulted in me giving up on rescuing the current look, and lead me to resurrect the '93-'11 scripts/logos for my Project 30 concept. Since I've released that concept way back in early 2014, the Marlins' 2012-present look has kind of grown on me. Seeing the light blue-centric jerseys and learning to appreciate the orange cap before it's demise showed me that the set could be saved, through the demotion/removal of black and the embrace of bright colors. However, I wanted something other than light blue/orange. Something that could be uniquely Miami...

I knew I had the solution once I saw the beautiful color scheme of the Pensacola Blue Wahoos, as well as the work dsaline97's did on the Florida Blue Herons, and my own Miami Heat concept. The navy/black, light blue, and pink (Rubine Red) would give the Marlins a color scheme that not only mimics the art deco architecture and signage in Miami, but is also unique in the MLB. However, I think that there are a few too many navy teams in the majors, and I wanted to eliminate another black-dominated color scheme (my biggest complaint with the 2003-present Marlins). So, I decided to bring in a teal-esque color, to have a minor connection with the Florida Marlins. I decided to bring in the "Midnight Green" color used by the Philadelphia Eagles. I don't like that dark teal color for the Eagles, but it worked perfectly for what I wanted to do with the Marlins!

As for the font, I like what the Marlins tried to do with an Art Deco-esque font, but I wanted something that had a bit more of an Art Deco flair/had consistent weights and none of the weird shadowing stuff. The font's name is Belgrad, and I've slightly modified it (namely removing the line through the zero). In the place of shadows are double outlines, which produces a bit of a cleaner look. Belgrad is also the new number font, so the wordmark and number fonts remain consistent. The fish icon from the current set remains on the caps logos and wordmarks, albeit with some simplification. I've moved the fish icon to the "M" on the "Marlins" mark for consistency's sake.

The primary logo has a symmetrical design meant to invoke the shapes in Art Deco architecture, and it also has little stripes to the side to emphasize the "lighting" detail. This pattern appears in the tertiary logo as well, which features a modified palm tree from my Heat concept and two Marlins pointing in different directions (for symmetry/symbolize the two World Series titles/because it looks good).

29750188425_3c7ee18ced_b.jpg

On the home and road uniforms, I've tried to effectively display the team's unique color scheme while sticking within traditions of color distribution in baseball. The home uniform bears the updated "Marlins" wordmark (I can't stand city names on standard home uniforms, except for the Tigers and Yankees, where the city name is a crest), and a pink-billed cap. I've kept the large "M" in both the "Marlins" and "Miami" wordmarks, as a means to emphasize the "M-fish" mark. The sleeve and pants stripes mimic the wordmark's color distribution, while the sock stripes mimic the lights in the primary logo (which is on the sleeve). None of the other teams use this color distribution for sock stripes, and I felt that some unique color distribution would help the team out. The road uniform uses the updated "Miami" wordmark and an all-dark teal cap, with a pink-centric cap logo (so there's still plenty of pink on the cap). NOB's are one-color block, for legibility's sake.

29458681430_2b6ef310c9_b.jpg

The alternates follow in much the same convention as the Marlins' current alternates, with pink replacing orange and dark teal replacing black. The pink alt is simply a color-flipped version of the home uniform, while the dark teal alt is based around the road uniform, as it wouldn't hurt to have the "Miami" script at home once in a while, especially when the color scheme/identity is so Miami. The tertiary logo is on the sleeve, as the primary didn't stand out enough on a teal background.

29458681560_b05882a90d_b.jpg

The next set of alts would be rarely used, but would certainly be "unique." The first is a pink cap/undershirt/belt/socks version of the home uniform. Think of it like an updated take on the old orange cap, but with fewer imitators. I did try to pair this pink cap up with the pink jersey, but it was a bit too much pink for my tastes. The other alternate is a fauxback to the 1950's minor league Miami Marlins, one that uses the current color scheme to provide a new take on a classic look. It uses an updated version of the script and patch from 1956 home uniform (updates to the patch provided by ZionEagle, who did a wonderful job with his update), and the cap logo/color distribution of the accompanying road uniform. I added the cap logo to the unstriped stirrups (to emphasize the logo), and used black cleats and a block with serif number font for that additional retro feel. With this alternate, the Marlins can push the dark teal/pink/light blue brand while honoring baseball's history in Miami.

29750188535_0a816851a0_b.jpg

It seems I was wrong when I released my Project 30 Marlins concept. You can salvage the current Marlins identity into something truly unique, but you may have to start from the ground up to get to that place.

C+C is greatly appreciated.

The Marlins look really nice. I love how you embraced the art-deco feel that the current uniforms are going for, and took it to the next level. The primary and teritary both stand out to me as excellent uses of the art-deco. The number font is unique and to me looks cool, as well. I'm suprised that I like the use of the midnight green, which is a creative idea. I personally think with the other colors being so bright and prominent you could still afford to use black instead, but it looks nice either way. Great job!

Holy crap, this is freaking spectacular. What a perfect color scheme for the Fish! The wordmarks, numbers, primary and tertiary logos all just scream "Miami." I have to admit, I was a big fan of your Project 30 Marlins concept. The sharing of colors with the neighboring Dolphins was a no-brainer. But now this? You've outdone yourself here. 

8 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Well, I'm back!

When the Marlins first unveiled their current look in 2011, I didn't like it that much, but I thought I could rescue it. My early attempts to mend that identity resulted in me giving up on rescuing the current look, and lead me to resurrect the '93-'11 scripts/logos for my Project 30 concept. Since I've released that concept way back in early 2014, the Marlins' 2012-present look has kind of grown on me. Seeing the light blue-centric jerseys and learning to appreciate the orange cap before it's demise showed me that the set could be saved, through the demotion/removal of black and the embrace of bright colors. However, I wanted something other than light blue/orange. Something that could be uniquely Miami...

I knew I had the solution once I saw the beautiful color scheme of the Pensacola Blue Wahoos, as well as the work dsaline97's did on the Florida Blue Herons, and my own Miami Heat concept. The navy/black, light blue, and pink (Rubine Red) would give the Marlins a color scheme that not only mimics the art deco architecture and signage in Miami, but is also unique in the MLB. However, I think that there are a few too many navy teams in the majors, and I wanted to eliminate another black-dominated color scheme (my biggest complaint with the 2003-present Marlins). So, I decided to bring in a teal-esque color, to have a minor connection with the Florida Marlins. I decided to bring in the "Midnight Green" color used by the Philadelphia Eagles. I don't like that dark teal color for the Eagles, but it worked perfectly for what I wanted to do with the Marlins!

As for the font, I like what the Marlins tried to do with an Art Deco-esque font, but I wanted something that had a bit more of an Art Deco flair/had consistent weights and none of the weird shadowing stuff. The font's name is Belgrad, and I've slightly modified it (namely removing the line through the zero). In the place of shadows are double outlines, which produces a bit of a cleaner look. Belgrad is also the new number font, so the wordmark and number fonts remain consistent. The fish icon from the current set remains on the caps logos and wordmarks, albeit with some simplification. I've moved the fish icon to the "M" on the "Marlins" mark for consistency's sake.

The primary logo has a symmetrical design meant to invoke the shapes in Art Deco architecture, and it also has little stripes to the side to emphasize the "lighting" detail. This pattern appears in the tertiary logo as well, which features a modified palm tree from my Heat concept and two Marlins pointing in different directions (for symmetry/symbolize the two World Series titles/because it looks good).

On the home and road uniforms, I've tried to effectively display the team's unique color scheme while sticking within traditions of color distribution in baseball. The home uniform bears the updated "Marlins" wordmark (I can't stand city names on standard home uniforms, except for the Tigers and Yankees, where the city name is a crest), and a pink-billed cap. I've kept the large "M" in both the "Marlins" and "Miami" wordmarks, as a means to emphasize the "M-fish" mark. The sleeve and pants stripes mimic the wordmark's color distribution, while the sock stripes mimic the lights in the primary logo (which is on the sleeve). None of the other teams use this color distribution for sock stripes, and I felt that some unique color distribution would help the team out. The road uniform uses the updated "Miami" wordmark and an all-dark teal cap, with a pink-centric cap logo (so there's still plenty of pink on the cap). NOB's are one-color block, for legibility's sake.

The alternates follow in much the same convention as the Marlins' current alternates, with pink replacing orange and dark teal replacing black. The pink alt is simply a color-flipped version of the home uniform, while the dark teal alt is based around the road uniform, as it wouldn't hurt to have the "Miami" script at home once in a while, especially when the color scheme/identity is so Miami. The tertiary logo is on the sleeve, as the primary didn't stand out enough on a teal background.

The next set of alts would be rarely used, but would certainly be "unique." The first is a pink cap/undershirt/belt/socks version of the home uniform. Think of it like an updated take on the old orange cap, but with fewer imitators. I did try to pair this pink cap up with the pink jersey, but it was a bit too much pink for my tastes. The other alternate is a fauxback to the 1950's minor league Miami Marlins, one that uses the current color scheme to provide a new take on a classic look. It uses an updated version of the script and patch from 1956 home uniform (updates to the patch provided by ZionEagle, who did a wonderful job with his update), and the cap logo/color distribution of the accompanying road uniform. I added the cap logo to the unstriped stirrups (to emphasize the logo), and used black cleats and a block with serif number font for that additional retro feel. With this alternate, the Marlins can push the dark teal/pink/light blue brand while honoring baseball's history in Miami.

It seems I was wrong when I released my Project 30 Marlins concept. You can salvage the current Marlins identity into something truly unique, but you may have to start from the ground up to get to that place.

My eyes have never seen anything so beautiful.

9 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Well, I'm back!

Nice. 

Miami and Vegas are the only cities that could pull off a look like this. Great color combo. 

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

• 3 months later...

This one is more of a total overhaul than a tweak, but I wanted to revive the thread for a few more tweaks.

COLORADO ROCKIES - Version 1 and Version 2 (2.5)

This one has been a long time coming. My previous Rockies redesigns have mostly tried to salvage the current identity (minor tweaks in the first, significant recoloring the second), but as time has gone by, I've realized that their current identity really can't be salvaged. The Times New Roman font (with inserts that render the scripts near-illegible), the mountain logo, and the "CR" insignia all had to go for this update. I started with a simple revision of my purple/powder blue color scheme from my second concept, and then I attempted a new branding direction using the Toledo Mud Hens' font to do a "drop shadow-centric" look. While I liked it, I thought it looked a little too cartoony and similar to the Rangers' fonts. This concept taught me that tall lettering was the best course of action, with an emphasis on purple. In the meantime, I also made this mockup of what the team would look like as a purple/grey/minimal black team.

When I began this concept, I looked to sources from around the boards for inspiration. Two concepts, in particular, one by @McCarthy and another by @CreamSoda showed me that the best way to handle the Rockies would be to incorporate the mountain imagery into the main logos of the team (in the primary logos and cap logos). Both of them also used cap logos inspired by the Colorado flag (with both of them doing a particularly excellent job at incorporating the mountains into the flag-style "C"). Building off of their work, I changed up the "C" to have a slab serif and a different mountain pattern.

I've revised my color scheme from my previous concepts, most notably dumping powder blue and changing the shade of purple. This new shade of purple (Pantone 2623C) has far more red in it than the previous purple shade, which separates them nicely from the other primarily purple team in my series (the Royals). I dumped powder blue, as it didn't go all that well with the logos and uniforms of this update and I thought it would be good to have one fewer team using blue as a main color. In its place is grey (shown as Pantone 429C for web use and jersey/cap fabrics, with Pantone 877C for embroidery/twill application). I felt it worked better with the mountain theme than powder blue did, and I liked that it had some precedence with the team (being the color scheme of their first two road jerseys ). I didn't want to bring back black, as I prefer that there be no unnecessary black in the majors (and black/purple/silver is an ugly color scheme, save for Starscream repaints )

The primary logo features five mountains atop of a home plate design, which also features a home plate, basepaths, and stripes (to mimic both backstop/outfield wall panels and the socks stripes). While this is my second concept with a home plate-shaped logo, I think that the mountain pattern differentiates them enough from my Padres concept. The font is a modified version of Carton, originally designed by Nick McCosker . Since the original font was not nearly as tall as I originally wanted, I modified the letterforms to make them taller (which was something I wanted to preserve from the "Mud Hens" stage of the concept).

The secondary logo is my version of the rounded slab serif "C with mountains," featuring three mountains layered atop one another (with snow caps and purple lines defining each mountain's border). The special event logo is a rhombus/diamond featuring a recoloring of the cap logo with a white stripe behind it, mimicking the Colorado flag in a way that's a bit more tasteful than the Calgary Flames' tactic of slapping their flags on their shoulders.

32202087306_1dbd04c099_b.jpg

The home and road uniforms feature a significant restyling from my previous concepts. The letters are arched as opposed to arc-ed, to emphasize the height of the scripts. Placket trim returns, in an asymmetrical purple/secondary color pattern (grey at home, white on the road). The sleeve trim takes influence from McCarthy's concept, mimicking the five mountains of the logo (with the mountain's main color reflecting the secondary color on each uniform). This mountain pattern is connected to standard sleeve trim, which bears the asymmetrical pattern of the plackets and the pants. The number font is not Carton, as Carton's numbers weren't slab-y enough for my tastes. Instead, I used a modified version of the Seattle Supersonics' old number font, with some more slab serifs added and a few numbers tweaked (namely the "2" and the "4"). The NOB's now use serif block. The sock stripes are a grey-white-grey-white-grey pattern, which adds more of the accent colors to the uniform. 

32217985615_9a79b59fab_b.jpg

The main alternate is a purple jersey, bearing the "C with mountains" cap logo. The front numbers move to the left side and down (to avoid comparisons to the Reds), and the buttons are evenly spaced. Silver takes precedence as the main color of the striping, numbers, and NOB. This alternate also has a grey cap, for wear on the road. I love white- and grey-crowned caps, and this concept's color scheme allowed me to implement a grey cap beautifully. The second alternate is the standard uniform, with the aforementioned grey cap (presumably, this would be a Sunday road alternate).

32179782106_19132b4ec5_b.jpg

The second set of alternates would each only be worn once a season. The first special event uniform is a throwback to my favorite Rockies alternate, the 1993 black jersey.This was the only uniform in their history that felt like a "real" throwback (and didn't look too much like the rest of the concept), and I like it far more than the "Rocktober" vests. The nameplate and "Inaugural Season" patches are present on the jersey, and I've taken the liberty of adding the "CR" logo to the socks (to give that logo a bit more exposure, given its importance to the team's identity).

The second alternate was a fun little idea that came to me some time ago. In the past few years, I've noticed how popular the Colorado flag has become. It's on loads of merchandise, is constantly cited as one of the best flags in the United States (I'd put it in the top ten, certainly), and has inspired the color schemes of two Denver teams (the Nuggets in several iterations, and the short-lived NHL Rockies). It's strange that the MLB Rockies haven't capitalized on this market with some kind of alternate, so I set about rectifying that. I created an alternate uniform meant to be worn on Colorado Day (August 1), using the "Vintage Hockey Franchise" sRGB shades (which matched the Pantone shades of the Colorado flag). I placed these colors on a tweaked version of the road uniform, with a blue base, gold mountains (paired up with red and white trim - sorta tributing the Denver flag ), collar trim instead of placket stripes (which looked pretty bad in three colors), and one-color numbers (for the purposes of clarity). The pants have a three-color stripe pattern, and the sock stripes change to reflect the new color scheme. The cap features a white stripe and yellow circle behind a slightly off-center "C with mountains," to both mimic the flag and differentiate the team from the Cubs (which can be a problem, as Monfort ineptitude, midwest transplants, and WGN's legacy has shown).

31407545893_f416b13a43_b.jpg

Edit: Here's a close-up on the sleeve striping, in case it didn't come across well in the main renderings.

32239534726_702fb0f130_c.jpg

Now, the Rockies won't be dressing in the image of the 1990-present White Sox anymore (as they, along with several other teams, have done). Instead, they'll have a unique and clear color scheme (purple/silver-grey/white) with retro-esque fonts for scripts and numbers (meaning one fewer team using block standard, which is a slightly overused block font) and a neo-retro uniform template (mountain stripes, asymmetrical placket trim, and sock stripe pattern). This new branding will also tie them closer to their state's iconography, through both direct (the Colorado Day alternate) and indirect (the cap logo minimizing the state flag's letter) means. Should the Rockies eschew their dated uniforms and color scheme, this is the direction they should take. C+C is greatly appreciated, as always.

Every time I get a notification there's been an update in this thread, it honestly makes my day. Great work with the Rockies!

I actually really like the direction you were headed with the Mud Hens font and powder blue trim, but it's hard to argue with what you settled on. You addressed everything I dislike about the Rockies' current identity: the generic wordmarks, pinstripes and unnecessary use of black. And that Colorado Day alt is a thing of beauty.

Any hint which team might be next?  

Archived