Colorado Avalanche jersey concept

Snow_Monster

After Reebok destroyed one of the best uniforms in the NHL in 2007, Avalanche fans everywhere have voiced their displeasure of the RBK edge jerseys. The majority of NHL fans who noticed the changes to their teams didn't care much for the designs either, Since then most of the teams have changed their uniforms into something more traditional or at least tasteful. The Colorado Avalanche unfortunately, seemed to have no interest in repairing their own uniforms (rightly deemed some of the ugliest in the league). That is until a few weeks ago when the fans heard the rumblings of change. Reports were spread that the Avs were going to make changes to the sweaters! The home and away were predicted to receive minor changes and the alternate jersey was expected to be redone completely in honor of the team's 20th anniversary. When the draft rolled around we got our first look at the new road sweater...and it was abysmal. They managed to make a bad jersey even worse. The anniversary patch looked sub-par at best, everything about the jersey that the fans found distasteful was still there, and to make matters worse the Bigfoot shoulder patch was gone and replaced with the most boring logo the team had seen yet in the form of a version of the state flag! The Yeti foot logo may not have been the best, but at least it had some pizazz to it. As a lifelong fan I was disappointed, but felt that as boring as it was, I could look past the new ''C'' logo and hope for the best in the yet to be released alternates and stadium series jersey. Fans seemed to like the ''C'' crest as it hearkened to the state flag and state pride and all that. I do love this state, but I never cared for the flag much, finding it unoriginal and boring. However I decided to come up with my own design for the Avs new uniforms.

a6876c80-165e-47f0-a7b3-425ba694c44d_zps

I made some tweaks to my past designs and came up with this. Seeing as how the new ''C'' logo contained navy blue, I wanted to try something new. As much as I support the Avs retaining black in their color scheme I thought I'd see how navy looked taking the place of both black and the steel blue. I was surprised at how good it looked. However the burgundy needed to be made brighter in order not to look like a dark mess and I took inspiration from the original jerseys the team wore when they arrived in Denver. Back then the burgundy was brighter and the blue was darker.

087.jpg

Since most fans loved the nod to the state, I decided to take a little inspiration from Colorado's first NHL team, the Colorado Rockies. Fans clearly wanted at least a nod to the old franchise, but seeing as how the Rockies and the Avs have no ties whatsoever besides playing in the same state, I was reluctant. However, I think I came up with a good classic looking alternate that acknowledges it's state hockey history without ripping off the old Rockies design.

colorado-rockies-vintage-nhl-road-jersey

Recently a rendering was made of the new alternate and I found it extremely disappointing as well. However, this only makes me want to get the Avalanche organization to wake up and make some good uniforms for a change. I plan on trying to send some of my ideas to them if possible whether it would make a difference of not, but thought I'd get some more opinions on the set first.

Anyhow what do you think of the concept?

Don't like the navy blue. The top yoke mountain pattern is awful. It just is too busy and doesn't match up with the collar.

The numbers have way too many outlines... The arm stripes are awkwardly large and out of place with the rest of the outlines/stripes.

On to the thirds:

Why doesn't the striping match? The hem-stripes seem poorly rendered and clunky. The stripes don't even match from one view to the next...

Back to the drawing board, sorry... This just doesn't work at all.

This is very good. The alternate looks, great, and if I was an Avs fan, I would proudly wear it.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

That picture, of the inaugural uniform you posted, is simply a thing of beauty. As for your concept, there is a lot to like... The hem and sleeve striping is actually an improvement over their original mountain range uniforms, as it makes for a bolder look. My only problem is the absence of the foot on the shoulders. Still, this is really solid.

I prefer the dark burgundy, a lighter red color has no place for a team named after something that only occurs on snow covered mountains.

Not that your red is too bright (though that original jersey certainly is), but I'd almost rather the blue be lighter than the red.

Don't like the navy blue. The top yoke mountain pattern is awful. It just is too busy and doesn't match up with the collar.

The numbers have way too many outlines... The arm stripes are awkwardly large and out of place with the rest of the outlines/stripes.

On to the thirds:

Why doesn't the striping match? The hem-stripes seem poorly rendered and clunky. The stripes don't even match from one view to the next...

I respectfully disagree, but hey, whatever.

First of all, you don't like the navy. Well that's fine, but that's more of your personal preference than anything else, one which the Avalanche organization doesn't share. I actually prefer the Avs colors the way they were, but since since the point of this post is to try something new I think you may be missing the point.

Sorry you don't like the yoke. I guess it's not for everyone, but I have shown it to some jersey experts and they had no problem with it. Actually I've received plenty of feedback that it makes the concept rather than breaks it (except in your case), but I can't please everybody. One of the writers at HJC said the yoke worked great with the arm stripes.

The numbers have too many outlines. Haha well now I think you're being a little nit-picky. The Avs have used double outlines in their jerseys for the past twenty years and it's not an uncommon phenomenon either. There have been at least twenty teams who have used double outlines in their numbers, ten of which are still doing it today, so best get used to it.

I'm not sure I see you problem with the stripes. They are bolder than anything they've worn before and are intentionally different thicknesses, but they are neither awkward nor out of place with each other. On the contrary, if they were all the same thickness, then the color balance would be off and the stripes wouldn't compliment each other as well.

As for the alternate, the striping on the chest intentionally does not match the arm and hem. The arm and hem stripes are supposed to be similar to the stripes in the Rockies uniform, the stripe on the chest compliments the logo so that it mimics the state flag. There is no red or silver on that stripe because the whole point is to replicate the image of the state flag. The state flag has no red or silver stripe so neither does the chest stripe. I have received a lot of input on this uniform and yours is the first to criticize the striping. Sure I used two different templates, but I hardly think it severely hurts the concept.

You point out what you don't like, but any suggestions on what you think would make it better? All in all, your comment wasn't exactly helpful, but thanks for stopping by.

Really like the home and away jerseys. But the third jersey is too similar to montreal.

Thanks very much! I see the comparison now. However I think that there are enough differences in both color and striping that I could get way with it...maybe.

This is very good. The alternate looks, great, and if I was an Avs fan, I would proudly wear it.

Much appreciated! It's good to get an opinion from a non Avs fan. Gives a little wider perspective for me.

a6876c80-165e-47f0-a7b3-425ba694c44d_zps

Ha! I guess great minds really do think alike (somewhat)

[image deleted - MOD EDIT]

Thanks, but I honestly didn't see many similarities between the two concepts. Thanks for the comment though.

That picture, of the inaugural uniform you posted, is simply a thing of beauty. As for your concept, there is a lot to like... The hem and sleeve striping is actually an improvement over their original mountain range uniforms, as it makes for a bolder look. My only problem is the absence of the foot on the shoulders. Still, this is really solid.

Thank god that horrid "concept" was removed, was bad enough looking at it the first time... Back to the concept, I think my favorite aspect was how you used the teams original, superior shade.

Thank you Morgo. I really liked the Bigfoot logo too. I appreciate the feedback especially being specific to the features you liked.

I prefer the dark burgundy, a lighter red color has no place for a team named after something that only occurs on snow covered mountains.

Not that your red is too bright (though that original jersey certainly is), but I'd almost rather the blue be lighter than the red.

I actually like the darker burgundy as well, but it would have looked like a dark mess with the navy. However, I disagree that brighter red shouldn't be used. It is still darker than pretty much all the other red teams in the league, but the rocks in Colorado can have a very red color, some surprisingly vibrant. But I do agree, I personally like the lighter blue and darker red more then the '96 colors.

On to the thirds:

I respectfully disagree, but hey, whatever.

First of all, you don't like the navy. Well that's fine, but that's more of your personal preference than anything else, one which the Avalanche organization doesn't share. I actually prefer the Avs colors the way they were, but since since the point of this post is to try something new I think you may be missing the point.

Sorry you don't like the yoke. I guess it's not for everyone, but I have shown it to some jersey experts and they had no problem with it. Actually I've received plenty of feedback that it makes the concept rather than breaks it (except in your case), but I can't please everybody. One of the writers at HJC said the yoke worked great with the arm stripes.

The numbers have too many outlines. Haha well now I think you're being a little nit-picky. The Avs have used double outlines in their jerseys for the past twenty years and it's not an uncommon phenomenon either. There have been at least twenty teams who have used double outlines in their numbers, ten of which are still doing it today, so best get used to it.

I'm not sure I see you problem with the stripes. They are bolder than anything they've worn before and are intentionally different thicknesses, but they are neither awkward nor out of place with each other. On the contrary, if they were all the same thickness, then the color balance would be off and the stripes wouldn't compliment each other as well.

As for the alternate, the striping on the chest intentionally does not match the arm and hem. The arm and hem stripes are supposed to be similar to the stripes in the Rockies uniform, the stripe on the chest compliments the logo so that it mimics the state flag. There is no red or silver on that stripe because the whole point is to replicate the image of the state flag. The state flag has no red or silver stripe so neither does the chest stripe. I have received a lot of input on this uniform and yours is the first to criticize the striping. Sure I used two different templates, but I hardly think it severely hurts the concept.

You point out what you don't like, but any suggestions on what you think would make it better? All in all, your comment wasn't exactly helpful, but thanks for stopping by.

hahaha sorry but that made me laugh pretty hard. Jersey Experts eh? oh wow, I better change my opinion now... haha

The yoke has so many points and peaks while the rest of the jersey doesn't. It flat out looks out of place.

Blue, silver, red is too many outlines for the numbers. It gets really muddled. I thought you were trying new stuff? So why insist on what the Avs have always done??

And I told you, I would start over. This whole concept doesn't work for me. I can't make any suggestions to make it better besides starting fresh.

Sheesh! Buncha hotheads in here...

Anyway, main thing I love about this is that you cut back on the black, which looks odd anywhere on the Avs except on the logo for the hockey puck, and even then I'm wondering if it would look just as good if the puck were recolored blue. I do agree that the yoke looks odd with the stripes being much thinner than the ones on the sleeves and hem, but I'm not sure what you could do about that. The blue jersey is a thing of beauty, perfect tribute to the old Rockies and the State of Colorado in general. This set is certainly an improvement over what they have now.

Don't listen to Negative Nancy. I don't know what Creamsodas problem is, but this set is fantastic! I think the yoke is great, it would be really unique to the team and it keeps the mountain design of the rest of the jersey. It really does compliment the arms and hem quite well. I've never seen the appeal of the CO flag so I can't say that I like it as much as the home and away, but I think you did a great job making something that pays tribute to the history of the state. I like that it's not a direct copy of the Rockies and it can be its own thing. I can see why CO fans would like it though.

Sheesh! Buncha hotheads in here...

Anyway, main thing I love about this is that you cut back on the black, which looks odd anywhere on the Avs except on the logo for the hockey puck, and even then I'm wondering if it would look just as good if the puck were recolored blue. I do agree that the yoke looks odd with the stripes being much thinner than the ones on the sleeves and hem, but I'm not sure what you could do about that. The blue jersey is a thing of beauty, perfect tribute to the old Rockies and the State of Colorado in general. This set is certainly an improvement over what they have now.

Thanks very much.

Don't listen to Negative Nancy. I don't know what Creamsodas problem is, but this set is fantastic! I think the yoke is great, it would be really unique to the team and it keeps the mountain design of the rest of the jersey. It really does compliment the arms and hem quite well. I've never seen the appeal of the CO flag so I can't say that I like it as much as the home and away, but I think you did a great job making something that pays tribute to the history of the state. I like that it's not a direct copy of the Rockies and it can be its own thing. I can see why CO fans would like it though.

I appreciate your input!

Archived