Are eSports a real sport?

Evil G

I've been thinking about this topic lately and I want to know what the CCSLC thinks. I think they are, but I'm probably biased. So what are your thoughts?

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. Sports require physical exertion. Occasionally tiring out your index finger by mashing the right trigger over and over doesn't qualify.

Video games are an activity. There's nothing wrong with that, it doesn't make them an illegitimate competitive platform, but that's what they are.

Well considering that espn covers Chess, Poker, and billiards, I would call Esports sports. I personally wouldn't mind more coverage for them but man I would hate to see mobas get most of the coverage they are honestly the absolute worst to watch.

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

To those who are saying that because there is no activity involved =/= not a sport, what makes NASCAR a sport then?

experiencing 100+ degrees of heat, turning the cars while pulling up to 3 Gs, doing it for 4+ hours, the amount of skill involved to drive the cars at 200 mph within inches of other cars on the wall. The drivers have to be incredibly fit to last a race, there is a lot of physical exertion that goes into racing these cars.

I think it is, but you have to remember that this is a relatively new creation. It's going to take time for E-Sports to have any footing in the televised world of sports.

That's why sites like Youtube, Twitch and whatnot are out there... In fact, here's a video of one guy saying we may need to take a harder look at e-Sports.

Well considering that espn covers Chess, Poker, and billiards, I would call Esports sports. I personally wouldn't mind more coverage for them but man I would hate to see mobas get most of the coverage they are honestly the absolute worst to watch.

Entertainment and Sports Programming Network.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

To those who are saying that because there is no activity involved =/= not a sport, what makes NASCAR a sport then?

experiencing 100+ degrees of heat, turning the cars while pulling up to 3 Gs, doing it for 4+ hours, the amount of skill involved to drive the cars at 200 mph within inches of other cars on the wall. The drivers have to be incredibly fit to last a race, there is a lot of physical exertion that goes into racing these cars.

Yes, thank you. I hate having to explain why racing is a sport to people. I can get why it can be confusing to some, but as someone who races and has grown up around racing, it kind of comes easy to me. Racing isn't really a sport where you have a lot of breaks, and like you said above, it can be very tiring. Your points apply mainly to NASCAR and other top-level, professional racing series, but even local racing can take a toll on you. I think it exercises the mind more than most sports.

With that being said, I don't think eSports are real sports. I think "sport" is used as an alternative to "activity"/"competition" a lot. It's competitive and there's a huge marketplace for it, but it's not a sport, at least to me. I have a lot of friends that say that marching band is a sport, to which I also disagree.

There is a difference between a game and a sport. Physical exertion seems to be a good defining line. Specifically the level of exertion of one player over another making the difference.

This is also why golf is not a sport.

Golf is definitely a sport, it takes so much skill, and even if you are using a cart you do get tired out somewhere between 9 and 18 holes. It does have physical exertion with you swinging the club and just the heat you experience. I will say it's a very boring sport, but it is a sport.

There is a difference between a game and a sport. Physical exertion seems to be a good defining line. Specifically the level of exertion of one player over another making the difference.

This is also why golf is not a sport.

Have you ever played a round of golf?

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.” Ernest Hemingway.

eSports are like the NFL, MLB, NHL, etc. Just games!

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Archived