New Packers Throwbacks

Gothamite

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This a decent choice for a third jersey in my opinion. I do agree with you guys that the socks need the stripes. Why they didn't include the stripes is beyond me and I think that's a pretty lame mistake. As for the jersey, they should have made it an exact throwback, just like the 1994 version. This is one thing that super annoys me about Nike. They can't even get a throwback uniform right, let alone a new set of uniforms for a team, cough Buccaneers cough.

The 1994 jersey was hardly "an exact throwback". It had all the mistakes of this one.

As for the sock stripes, the Packers only wore those for a couple seasons - most of the time they wore this uniform, it was with solid navy socks.

Hutson-Lambeau.jpg57584a_lg.jpeg1948-10-10-07.jpg

So while we might prefer the stripes, solid socks are not a mistake, lame or otherwise.

FWIW, they also went for a period without socks at all.

1943_Hutson.jpg

I applaud the Packers for attempting (asking Nike) to use material that would reflect a throwback uniform, but it looks cheap and actually isn't needed or accurate considering the time at which the team actually wore these uniforms. Would much rather see it adapted to the current template like those available for purchase.

I applaud the Packers for attempting (asking Nike) to use material that would reflect a throwback uniform, but it looks cheap and actually isn't needed or accurate considering the time at which the team actually wore these uniforms. Would much rather see it adapted to the current template like those available for purchase.

Not sure what you mean. Isn't this on the same template as their primary uniform?

Not sure what you mean. Isn't this on the same template as their primary uniform?

After further inspection, you're right. I tend to forget that they're one of only (now) three holdovers from the Reebok/Ripon template. Just looks cheap to me, regardless.

Yeah, I'm going to have to say "no."

31-39045-F.jpg

Twice, even. I agree.

I agree.

The only way these could ever work would be with green pants with a striping pattern matching the shirt sleeves. I'm surprised Edmonton hasn't done this since they have green helmets that work better with this shirt.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

After further inspection, you're right. I tend to forget that they're one of only (now) three holdovers from the Reebok/Ripon template. Just looks cheap to me, regardless.
Ripon never looks cheap to me. Now mismatching greens and sweat boxes? That's a cheap look ;)

I absolutely think the shimmer or dazzle fabric looks cheap. And there were a number of times that the mesh fabric was not an exact match to the shoulder fabric, but it wasn't as analyzed as it is today. To say that it didn't happen prior to Nike's template is outrageous. Teams had helmet shells that were darker than the jerseys, too, but a lot of people think that's okay. Specifically the Rams and Vikings recent throwbacks.

Archived