2015 IFAF Euro Cup ( Group A Day One)

JTswag187

So today I present to you my first series in a while. In order to avoid the urges to quit a series this series has already been 100% completed, however there will still be updates. Before I keep talking about the formatting and specifics of this series I present to you...

20156999451_c7b7400156_b.jpg

First of all this is a continuation of my Olympic football series. So it is a given that in this world American football is much more popular than it is now. I was originally working on this year's IFAF World Cup, but one it was moved to Canton and Germany and Austria left; I left too. I know that there already is a European tournament, but that doesn't happen to 2018. So I decided to create my own, and I chose Europe because I had more countries to work with.

The tournament will consist of 18 teams in 4 groups, where it is then narrowed down to an 8 team tournament. The series will start with to games that will narrow it down to 16, where the group stage will begin. After all the uniforms are revealed then the simulation will begin. I'm going to try to go fairly quickly as I don't want this series to take to long.

As far as uniforms go there are a few regulations.

1. Color v. Color is allowed, similar to how it is in soccer

2. All teams will be supplied by Nike (that could change in the future), therefore I tried to make sure the uniforms looked like something Nike would do. Which is why some teams look similar.

3. NO TV NUMBERS. As jersey sleeves get shorter and shorter TV numbers get too much in the way of design, and I can't think of one time they've helped me identify a player

4. Each team must have at least 2 jerseys, no more than 4. (there is no helmet or pants limits)

5. Teams will wear 2 patches, a flag patch on the left and the logo above on the right

6. Player names are encouraged but optional

As this is the first installment of this, I decided to keep the logos very basic and simple as I wanted to focus on the uniforms. Some teams already had good logos, while for some of them I decided to borrow their countries soccer crest.

The teams were chosen based on a couple things.

1. How good they currently are at Football now

2. How good they are at Rugby

3. How sports oriented the countries are in general

4. Would they be fun to create a concept around

5. An element of randomness (sorry Finland)

I tried to make the groups fairly even, but with a bit of imbalance to create more realism. This post has been fairly long and I feel like I've covered all the bases so far. The Groups will be posted later today or tomorrow, then the first two qualifier matches are next. Thank you for reading all of this if you did because I know I wouldn't. Feel free to leave feedback and correct any of my typos (please no grammar nazis, I already know my grammar's horible).

So here are the groups:

19696001742_08282d8dff_b.jpg

Group A:

Group A features an elite squad in France and host country Sweden as the favorites to make it out of the group. Ireland had a solid year as they qualify. Croatia pulled a huge upset over Finland to qualify and will play Belgium in an elimination game.

Group B:

Austria proves to be the strong favorite as they don't have much strong opposition. England played well as always and Spain was a pleasant suprise. Switzerland lost a few games they should've one and faces Wales in an elimination game.

Group C:

This group features two powerhouses in Germany and Denmark, as both are popular picks to go all the way. Greece was close to leaving the tournament this year due to the economic situation, however they will compete.

Group D:

Group D is easily the strongest group. Russia, Poland, and Italy all sport very strong teams that could beat any team in the tournament. The Netherlands have a talented team but have severely under preformed this year.

This post will be updated as the simulation progresses. Let me know what you think, teams will start being posted very soon.

19515120838_244d11bf3d_z.jpg

Croatia vs. Belgium

Belgium would advance in the tournament with a strong 2nd half to defeat Croatia. Croatia would wear their primary red jerseys with white pants as Belgium wore their yellow secondaries.

Croatia: A very simple and self explanatory uniform for Croatia. Features a checkered pattern on the sleeves.

19695954332_ce7811d96e_b.jpg

Belgium: Turns out that Belgium already has a logo, and it's a good one. I tweaked a few things about it but it's essentially the same. As far as the uniforms I tried to get a bit innovative with the striping across the chest and the waistband. Normally this team wears red, but due to Croatia wearing red they wore yellow.

19080527504_ff292f7197_b.jpg

Wales vs. Switzerland

Despite Switzerland's talent, they struggled to get going in this defensive battle. Wales would debut in the tournament wearing white with their green pants, Switzerland wore monochrome red.

Wales: I really had a lot of fun with there color scheme. I know people are going to say that I went a bit overboard as you guys see what else they'll wear throughout the tournament, but I love their set. Wales is one of the few teams to not have player names on the back.

19082217243_6a37fd611c_b.jpg

Switzerland: After the tournament is over I'll show all the sets that weren't given a chance to be worn. Switzerland has a very simple but unique look to it as it uses space on the jersey that usually isn't used. Because of there simple flag design, they were allowed to replace their flag patch with their logo. Here is there monochrome red set, arguably there worst look.

18506577695_3540e17f93_b.jpg

Please give feedback. Thank you for viewing.

This is gonna be interesting.

I really like Belgium's helmet,pretty cool.

I don't think gray matches with Wales unis.

Very cool idea, excited to see more.

Wales looks good except for the helmet. It doesn't seem to fit the rest of the uniform.

I'd make the stripes on Belgium's jerseys wider. It has a lot of open space on the sleeves right now.

Thank you guys for the feedback, it seems to be in a bit of a shortage at the moment so I really appreciate it. As far as Wales goes, I see where you guys are coming from. However grey pants are an option as well as a red jersey. I thought of giving them multiple helmets, but I wanted to avoid that as much as possible knowing that a lot of these teams will only see 3 games. If I gave every team multiple helmets, a lot of teams would have looks that would never be used, resulting in a waste of my time. If you guys think that grey should be 100% percent eradicated no matter how it's used, then I will remove the grey.

I think you guys are right with Belgium's striping, thickened it up a bit:

19594259814_a924b3a315_b.jpg

I also updated their other sets that you'll see later on in the series.

I found it interesting how Croatia and Switzerland weren't commented on. Not sure if that is because they were good concepts or because they were eliminated.

Once again thank you for the feedback, Day One of the Group Stage will be starting soon.

This is a great concept series and definitely one I'm excited about and will be following. For Croatia, maybe try incorporating the checker pattern onto the pants like Tennessee did with their newest Nike set, I think that could work well for them. I would simplify Belgiums helmet stripe to how it is on the pants, it looks cleaner. I would also darken the yellow used on the jersey slightly- it looks neon as is. I would definitely get rid of all grey for Wales as others have said, it muddles the look of an already great color scheme. For Switzerland, I would go ahead and put the cross on the helmet. And the white splotches simply don't work, because the bottom one would not even be seen and they just look kind of random. Overall, fantastic work!! Keep it up man

This is a great concept series and definitely one I'm excited about and will be following. For Croatia, maybe try incorporating the checker pattern onto the pants like Tennessee did with their newest Nike set, I think that could work well for them. I would simplify Belgiums helmet stripe to how it is on the pants, it looks cleaner. I would also darken the yellow used on the jersey slightly- it looks neon as is. I would definitely get rid of all grey for Wales as others have said, it muddles the look of an already great color scheme. For Switzerland, I would go ahead and put the cross on the helmet. And the white splotches simply don't work, because the bottom one would not even be seen and they just look kind of random. Overall, fantastic work!! Keep it up man

I'll see what I can do with Croatia's pants, I really like that idea. I'm not sure quite sure how to simplify Belgium's helmet stripe, but I do agree that it looks really clean on the pants. So it seems that people are in an agreement that Wales doesn't need grey, but before I do that I would like for you guys to see their other looks. Not saying that I'm not open to it,I just want to make sure that it would improve their look. I'm aware of the fact that the bottom part wouldn't usually be seen, but it still seemed like a nice touch to me. I was originally going to have a plain look for Switzerland, but I decided to do this as a small detail. A lot of things that are on uniforms aren't seen from a broadcast view anyways. If I were to remove the white splotches do have any suggestions on what I could do for them?

wow Both Belgium and Wales helmets/uniforms are nicer than I would have imagined! Croatia and Switzerland are pretty good too!

Thanks, appreciate the feedback.

Day One of the group stage will start very soon. Updates are on the way as well.

For Switzerland, I would extend the bottom splotch up until it almost hits the numbers. Create a more cross-like look that is similar to how Northwestern utilizes it's stripe across the chest. Maybe consider putting it on the back of the uniform as well, although that may be overkill. If it's too much you could also try sublimating it with a darker red. Or use that same design on the sleeve caps since they are empty. On Belgium, what I meant my simplifying the helmet stripe was to remove the white borders and just use the red and yellow double stripe motif, and make the facemask black. For Wales, if it seems too plain by removing the grey(if you end up doing that) then consider implementing a dragon-scale pattern, that could be really awesome. I'm just throwing out ideas, I'm sure you don't need them but excited to see the rest of this series!!!

For Switzerland, I would extend the bottom splotch up until it almost hits the numbers. Create a more cross-like look that is similar to how Northwestern utilizes it's stripe across the chest. Maybe consider putting it on the back of the uniform as well, although that may be overkill. If it's too much you could also try sublimating it with a darker red. Or use that same design on the sleeve caps since they are empty. On Belgium, what I meant my simplifying the helmet stripe was to remove the white borders and just use the red and yellow double stripe motif, and make the facemask black. For Wales, if it seems too plain by removing the grey(if you end up doing that) then consider implementing a dragon-scale pattern, that could be really awesome. I'm just throwing out ideas, I'm sure you don't need them but excited to see the rest of this series!!!

I tried out you're idea for Belgium's helmet, but it took away from the cohesiveness of the look. I haven't tried the dragon scale pattern yet but I plan on doing so.

Anyways here are the updates for Switzerland and Croatia, I decided to show the full sets now instead of later since these teams were eliminated:

Switzerland: extended the bottom part of the cross, also put the plus on the helmet.

20084458268_a8bb72875d_b.jpg19651484713_c1221fc75b_b.jpg19649795224_f7de5600cb_b.jpg19649795254_b94cf53345_b.jpg

Croatia: tried the Tennessee idea, and it worked out beautifully

20278347271_a25d34bdc6_b.jpg20246191646_4b02a2a7c8_b.jpg

Thank you for viewing, please give feedback.

So here's how the Group Day's work. I will post the score sheet like I did for the qualifiers, and then two matchups at a time. This will simulate the fact that Groups A&B and C&D would play on separate days if this were real. And yes, I know that C comes BEFORE D in the alphabet.

19515157720_1d659d6683_b.jpg

Germany vs. Portugal

Germany does what they were expected to do and starts strong by blowing out Portugal. Germany wore their black jersey's with white pants, Portugal wore red helmets, red jersey, and green pants to help contrast from Germany.

Germany: I honestly feel this is one of my best concepts ever, I spent a lot of time stumped on Germany and they ended up being the last team completed. I was going for a rugged look that still was modern and classy. I tried a lot of different things for this team, and I really like the result.

19512756424_56026e1a62_b.jpg

Portugal: You could call this team the Oregon of this series, you could also call them an eyesore. This team features a 2 helmets (red and white), 2 jerseys, and 3 pants. Their main colors are red, maroon, green and gold as an accent. They also have a very interesting blue and white alternate.

18363174648_f27877c6bd_b.jpg

Greece vs. Denmark

Greece played better than expected, but Denmark pulled away late. Denmark wore red, and Greece wore blue. Both these sets are pretty much what you'd expect.

Greece: Greece has a very simple and self explanatory look, not much else to say.

16406426363_963be449af_b.jpg

Denmark: I'm not quite sure why I decided against having a logo for this team. They were hard to improve on from my last series, but I tried my best. I kept there amazing helmet that they actually use in real life.

20140960781_82f3f3ef0a_b.jpg

Group D matches will be posted next. Please give feedback.

All 4 of those are beautiful. Only thing I'm not really feeling is the grey mask on Germany. Also, somewhere down the line a green alt for them (like their soccer team has used) would be awesome. Great work again, that Greek pattern is perfect. Croatia and Wales turned out fantastic! Portugal is out there but looks good, as does Denmark

I am liking the uniforms! They are great in every way it represent their countries even though you don't have to follow exactly colors of flag like for Netherlands can be Orange/Black like the baseball team in recent World Baseball Classic. Greece.... wow it certain fit well!

Alamo%2BBowl_sig.png

Liberty Bowl_sig.png

FEAR THE FROG! LET'S GO TCU!!

Nice that you add patches.

And of course Germany destroys Portugal because Germans are good at gridion.

Now uniform reviews:

Germany:I agree with you.This looks perfect.For some reason it reminds me of the Browns' new unis.

11/10

Portugal:Yes,it is a eyeache. Looks crazy without going to the exterme.

ADVICE:Remove the Portugal from the pants.It is unnessary.

7.9/10

Greece:I really like the pattern,reminds me of their history.

ADVICE:Put Zeus on the back of the helmet.

8.5/10

Denmark:That crazy number font should not be there. Should need to be replaced by some normal number font.

8/10

Also,

1.Put a scoreboard.

2.Who is broadcasting this.

3.American version? World Cup?

Keep up on the good work.

2v1ao9y.jpg

TRhBP9N.png

YO2Xb6F.png

cubsfansig.jpg

Archived