NBA Rebrand :: Sonics Added! - 31/31

derschwigg

Look, Sterling, I don't mean to be rude...but what was the point in posting in the first place? You haven't offered any C&C, but got very defensive when people pointed out the differences over the similarities in our designs made 2 years apart. I don't know what you wanted me to say, but since you came out the gate falsely accusing me of ripping your design, I don't really feel any need of defending myself any further. I'm sorry that we both took existing elements of the Mavericks brand and used them in a new light on a bull skull. It's not unheard of for a team in Texas to have western thematic elements, but I'm willing to bet that no one raised a flag when you came out with yours. There are elements of your design that I do like, but ultimately, I prefer mine. That's why I posted it. Upon creation, I am entitled to an initial copyright. That's also why I put my logo on each design. It's not as formal as the paperwork copyright, but it is a copyright nonetheless.

So if all you wanted to do was stir the pot, you're welcome to try, but if you're going to delete your comments and effectively take your football and go home because someone online disagreed with you, you should reexamine why these forums are here: an open forum of communication and, hopefully, improvement of our designs.

So once more, do you have anything to say about the other works so far?

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my two cents on the Hawks and the Bucks:

For Atlanta, I don't like how the beak is rendered. Is the white part supposed to be the hole in the beak? If so, it is far too high. If not, I'm not exactly sure what it is. Regardless, I think you would be better off making the beak that solid gold color. It would look a lot cleaner, and that little white part you have would be difficult to reproduce at smaller sizes.

For Milwaukee, I can appreciate what you did (I mean, who doesn't love Bango?) but, like your Celtics logo, it's safe and not groundbreaking or creative. If you were a contestant on Chopped, the judges would say that you didn't "transform the ingredients". What you have done throughout this series and other logo rebrands you have done on this site is come up with new, innovative ideas to visually represent sports franchises. You have thrown tradition by the wayside, breathing fresh air into visual identities that have remained more or less the same for generations, but that's not the case here. What you did with the Bucks isn't what I have come to expect from you, and I look forward to your continued work on the Bucks and the rest of the NBA.

Thanks, Mac. While I appreciate your candor and sentiment, sometimes the only way to progress is to go back. I'll keep a modernized version of the Bucks in mind for the future, along with the Celtics, but I'm pretty pleased with it right now.

As for moving on, here's an updated Spurs look!

VykQJKC.png

Here's the Rockets! Now that the Logolympiad is done, I can refocus my efforts here.

Ssqsar9.png

I like this, you could make the two lines representing the two champion they won and have the rocket moving upwards besides the H instead of straight through to represent their pursuit of a third and beyond. also to get rid of the 9/11 imagery, maybe have the exhaust of the rocket make the line though the H

Grizzlies is great. Sort of collegiate, but in a good way.

I like what you're trying to do with the Pacers and having the state of Indiana in the P, but it's very hard to make out. It sort of just looks like the P has a tail.

Thanks! Do you think the Indiana state should stay in the icon exclusively? As in - should I remove it from the wordmark?

I personally don't like it in either position.  In both instances it looks really shoehorned into the design, especially since you only see the bottom portion of the state.  I think, if you wanted to keep the state in the logo, the negative space in the "p-hole" would be a good place for it.

That Memphis logo is a work of art though.  Very good work there

22 hours ago, derschwigg said:

Grizzlies is great. Sort of collegiate, but in a good way.

I like what you're trying to do with the Pacers and having the state of Indiana in the P, but it's very hard to make out. It sort of just looks like the P has a tail. 

Thanks! Do you think the Indiana state should stay in the icon exclusively? As in - should I remove it from the wordmark?

Personally I'd take it out. It's strong enough with the checkered flag, you don't need any other elements. You could incorporate the state shape into some sort of alternate though. 

sig.png

14 hours ago, macalesterscots said:

I personally don't like it in either position.  In both instances it looks really shoehorned into the design, especially since you only see the bottom portion of the state.  I think, if you wanted to keep the state in the logo, the negative space in the "p-hole" would be a good place for it.

That Memphis logo is a work of art though.  Very good work there

I tried it in the "p-hole" (I think it's called the "eye" ?) initially, but it looked very forced. The bottom portion of the state is the real identifying edge of the state - the top is practically a level line.

Archived