Mississippi High School Football Concepts

hailstateunis

Over the past week, I have been doing a concept series involving Mississippi High School Football teams, releasing them on Twitter four at a time. Today, I finished with 25 teams from Mississippi and one from Alabama. Click on the link below to see all of them with details and descriptions:

http://mshsfootballhelmets.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_27.html

nJBRbGx.jpg

Many of these are absolutely gorgeous.. I'm a huge fan of the 2nd one (Kelly Green and Yellow Gold), but I think you could benefit greatly by making several of your numbers white on colored jerseys instead of having the color on color.. It really does get muddled up from any sort of distance, and most traditional/iconic uniforms are 1 color + white (Penn State, Yankees, Alabama, Texas, etc), so it's a very clean, classy, and proven look.. My general rule of thumb is white #'s on color and colored #'s on white.. Sure there can be exceptions, but I think your concepts will be even better if you can limit those exceptions and incorporate more white numbers.. But otherwise great work

I disagree with WavePunter, with all due respect. I think that these uniforms are phenomenal, and that every one has a special thing about it that makes it absolutely great.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

Thanks for the compliments! As far as the number colors go, you'll notice that some do and some don't have white numbers. I really just wanted to create some diversity. You may also notice that I left off shoulder numbers on many teams- that was a time saving measure. However, I usually included them if the design called for them to be on the sleeve caps. I also liked how, thanks to fontsbyconrad, I was able to use a different number font for all 26 teams.

You definitely achieved some very unique and great looks here.. All the credit in the world goes to you for that.. My suggestion regarding the white #'s is based on a lot of personal experience (broadcasting high school and college football games on the radio from the press box), as well as observation of success/trends in uniform aesthetics.. of the 32 NFL teams, only 4 teams DON'T use white numerals on their primary home/color jersey (Saints, Rams, Raiders - all use very light colored, metallic numerals *plus Browns - recent redesign hasn't seen the field yet, but previous set had white numerals).

There's definitely a reason only 1 team in the NFL wears color-on-color (metallics are actually grouped with white, but even if you count them separately, they're still not "color").. So, only 1 team's primary is color-on-color, and they haven't even worn it yet (plus a few alt's - Browns, Jags, Bears).. Plus the SEC (most successful conference in recent NCAA football history) has only 1 team who doesn't use white numerals (Mizzou - gold metallic)..

Please don't take my suggestion as criticism.. Your concepts are gorgeous, but every team in the NFL can still look unique with the same color numerals, so I think teams in your concepts could too.. Sometimes concepts can look much better on paper and in theory than in execution, and I think some of the beauty in your concepts would get lost in the translation to real uniforms for this reason.. Even on the smaller image shown on the message board that contains all the jerseys, the color-on-color numbers get pretty blurred and blotchy - even though it looks amazing in full view..

Whether you take my advice or not, your uniforms are still phenomenal and I'm still a huge fan!

Just to add some notes and specify colors..

Metallics:

Gold, Yellow, Silver, Grey, White

Colors:

Reds, Blues, Greens, Purples, Browns, Blacks, etc.

Rule of thumb - always use colors on metallics and always use metallics on colors..

So, your concepts with yellow or grey numbers would still fit the "rule" but your concepts with blue or black numbers wouldn't.. But on away/white jerseys, you want "color" numbers since the white jersey is a "metallic"..

Maybe this could help you adjust a bit without giving up your diversity.. Hope it helps, and keep up the good work! I'd love to see logo sheets and wordmarks for each team if you get around to it..

I hate to be the only one to disagree, but in my opinion.... These seem to lack creativity. I'm not trying to sound harsh, but aside from Golden Wave's sleeves and Oak Grove, All these teams look the exact same to me. The only differences are the colors. The only times you stepped outside the box were with the Chargers and the Prattville Lions. You seem to have some experience and it does look like you thought about what you're doing for each team. However I really encourage you to try to be more creative and unique. Also, what's with all the monochrome yellow?

Just to add some notes and specify colors..

Metallics:

Gold, Yellow, Silver, Grey, White

Colors:

Reds, Blues, Greens, Purples, Browns, Blacks, etc.

Rule of thumb - always use colors on metallics and always use metallics on colors..

So, your concepts with yellow or grey numbers would still fit the "rule" but your concepts with blue or black numbers wouldn't.. But on away/white jerseys, you want "color" numbers since the white jersey is a "metallic"..

Maybe this could help you adjust a bit without giving up your diversity.. Hope it helps, and keep up the good work! I'd love to see logo sheets and wordmarks for each team if you get around to it..

Thanks for all the info! I definitely didn't take your comment as criticism; I'm just happy to have feedback.

As far as updating/releasing more, I don't plan to. This was really just a fun summer project with a main purpose of attracting attention to my Twitter account and HSFB helmet blog/website.

I hate to be the only one to disagree, but in my opinion.... These seem to lack creativity. I'm not trying to sound harsh, but aside from Golden Wave's sleeves and Oak Grove, All these teams look the exact same to me. The only differences are the colors. The only times you stepped outside the box were with the Chargers and the Prattville Lions. You seem to have some experience and it does look like you thought about what you're doing for each team. However I really encourage you to try to be more creative and unique.

You certainly have a point and that was something that I realized myself. But there are only so many different ways to design a football uniform, and, releasing them in bulk, I do think that I accomplished a goal of more unique/diverse designs for high school teams.

Well, it was a success! Again, I really like your work, and you did a great job of being creative and innovative at times without throwing tradition down the drain.. I like the way you incorporated the fade in various colors on the oak grove helmets to stay true to the fade on their original white/black helmet.. Little things like that go a long way, and you did justice to the few teams I'm familiar with, and the rest look very good as well.. I really like what you did with the shoulder/yokes on MRS, and I thought the sleeve design was a very nice touch for Tupelo.. There may be some weaknesses somewhere in this series, but I've been distracted by the creative nuances you've slipped into various teams' identities.. Really enjoying these!

Archived