Browns Jersey From Practice

Elfman

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I swear to God that looks better than their actual uniforms (especially if those aren't the hideous pants their currently wearing).

Its one thing to express your opinion... its another thing to just say something obnoxious for a reaction... which, I understand, I gave you exactly what you wanted by quoting you.

Or else, you know... maybe that's his actual opinion, and you just trolled yourself.

If you're going to be this reactionary every time someone mentions how bad the new Browns uniform is, you're going to have a couple long months coming up.

I don't get *THIS* reactionary at all. I tell it like it is, always have from day one when it comes to my favorite teams. I give them props when they deserve props, and I criticize them when they deserve criticism... just like I do for every other team.

My issue is that modern society has this propensity to exaggerate an extreme amount when it comes to voicing their "opinions." Those camo uniforms look like hell. The new Browns uniforms aren't great by any means, but no one would compare the 2 and say the camo is a better look. You and I both know that wasn't his actual opinion. He was going for a reaction. He got it. He was trolling and I gave the troll what he wanted.

It is amazing how people's opinions on uniforms are so furiously defended on this site but get so much slack for other opinions.

@BBVTV

Again, there is a disconnect between the modern athlete and crotchety uniform traditionalist. Yes, the jersey looks terrible. The players LOVE them. Many tweeted or Instagrammed how much they liked the jersey and posted *fire* emojis next to the picture. The players like them.

Its also an appeal to human nature. Its something the other group doesn't have. It shows your dominance. Its a reward to the players that they respond to in practice.

1. I'm not a uniform traditionalist. At all. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate and respect tradition, but I favor contemporary designs when done to my liking.

2. The players' opinions are absolutely irrelevant to any discussion of my opinion. They're entitled to their opinion. Mine is that the new uniform is an unmitigated disaster. From the contrast stitching to the clown-sized wordmark to the up-shadow to the pants wordmark to the brown facemask to the.. well, the only thing I kinda like is the stripes that come in from the sleeves. It's not a modern uniform - it's just a collection of a bunch of stupid ideas all thrown together at once.

Take a deep breath or two. People disliking a football teams' uniforms isn't a personal attack on you or your family (unless in the very unlikely event you were the person who green-lighted the final design, in which case you and your family suck.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Polling has showed that a significant portion of the fan base likes the uniforms. I would actually contest that the majority of the fans have a favorable opinion of the uniforms. Between websites, polls, water cooler talk, local news, local sports talk, local hot talk... I would say over 75% has been favorable of the new uniforms. They aren't my exact taste, but to use this forum as the measuring stick isn't exactly valid. This forum is primarily uniform traditionalist... so any departure from the traditional comes with innate hesitation/criticism.

I know we've had this discussion before, but I don't think a polling of browns fans is any decent indicator of the merits of this uniform... or any fans about their own team's uniform, for that matter. Do a search on this site for threads involving "All-time favorite uniforms" and count how many times someone with the word Steelers or Niners, or Yankees or Leafs somewhere in their name claims that that team's uniform is the greatest. Fans have blinders. My current favorite NFL uniform? You guessed it... the Vikings.

How about wait a year for everyone to get a look at the browns uniforms in action... let the people who love everything new get over the uniqueness, let the people who hate everything new get a little numb, then take that poll again. Not just of Browns fans, but of all NFL fans. I'd bet anything this uniform falls squarely in the bottom five... not Bucs/Jags bad, but right there.

And I know what you'll say... who cares what other fans think, this uniform isn't for them, it's for us, blah blah. That's fine. But this isn't a site of just browns fans, this is a site for self-proclaimed uniform snobs... and I guarantee you the majority of posters on this site are going to continue to pile-drive this uniform every chance they get. You might have to try to get used to it.

Not to mention, what's the logic behind using a poll to support an opinion in the first place? Is the idea that once we see the poll, we'll have an epiphany and realize how wrong we were all along? If I don't like a uniform, polling data in support of that uniform isn't going to change my opinion one bit. Frankly, I don't give a single :censored: that "a significant portion of the fanbase" likes the new Browns uniforms. I'm sure there was a time when "a significant portion" of those polled extolled the brilliance of the 'NSync. That "significant portion" didn't make 'NSync suck any less and there isn't a poll result in the world that's going to make the new Browns uniforms look any better.

Anyway, great post, OldSchool. If we had a "Super-duper Like" button, I would have used it. In the meantime, I guess a simple "Like" will have to suffice. B)

BB52Big.jpg

Camo doesn't work here. Complete and utter failure. The camo fad is starting to really erk me, it seems like every other team in my softball league is using camo now too...I think for just fad sake to create these is just a cry for help to the younger fans to pay more attention and want to buy more gear. Trends need to stop being followed so closely by these pro franchises.

I don't understand how getting to wear that jersey is considered an award, but whatever - I can't get worked up about a practice jersey.

Considering how bad their new uniforms are, this franchise pretty much threw their tradition in the trash and set it on fire anyway, so why not get crazy with a practice jersey?

1. I'm not a uniform traditionalist. At all. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate and respect tradition, but I favor contemporary designs when done to my liking.

2. The players' opinions are absolutely irrelevant to any discussion of my opinion. They're entitled to their opinion. Mine is that the new uniform is an unmitigated disaster. From the contrast stitching to the clown-sized wordmark to the up-shadow to the pants wordmark to the brown facemask to the.. well, the only thing I kinda like is the stripes that come in from the sleeves. It's not a modern uniform - it's just a collection of a bunch of stupid ideas all thrown together at once.

Take a deep breath or two. People disliking a football teams' uniforms isn't a personal attack on you or your family (unless in the very unlikely event you were the person who green-lighted the final design, in which case you and your family suck.)

@BBTV

My response was in response to the first quoted texted. You said you didn't understand how that would be a reward for the players. I was explaining that the players love them. So just how your opinion is your opinion, my opinion is my opinion and his opinion is his opinion... the players love the uniforms... therefore its a reward. Its also perception. In a testosterone fueled, male dominated, competition setting... asserting your dominance over someone else and being rewarded for it (even if it is a lousy reward) is still something driven for.

I swear to God that looks better than their actual uniforms (especially if those aren't the hideous pants their currently wearing).

Its one thing to express your opinion... its another thing to just say something obnoxious for a reaction... which, I understand, I gave you exactly what you wanted by quoting you.

Or else, you know... maybe that's his actual opinion, and you just trolled yourself.

If you're going to be this reactionary every time someone mentions how bad the new Browns uniform is, you're going to have a couple long months coming up.

I don't get *THIS* reactionary at all. I tell it like it is, always have from day one when it comes to my favorite teams. I give them props when they deserve props, and I criticize them when they deserve criticism... just like I do for every other team.

My issue is that modern society has this propensity to exaggerate an extreme amount when it comes to voicing their "opinions." Those camo uniforms look like hell. The new Browns uniforms aren't great by any means, but no one would compare the 2 and say the camo is a better look. You and I both know that wasn't his actual opinion. He was going for a reaction. He got it. He was trolling and I gave the troll what he wanted.

No offense, but you do kinda overreact to anything negative about the Browns.

FWIW, I too think that the camo jerseys look better than the new Browns jerseys. Neither is a great look but if I had to choose between the two, I'm going with the camo jersey. Am I just "going for a reaction?"

To be fair... I don't over react to negativity about the Browns. I'm actually one of the first to criticize them. I said I wasn't a huge fan of the old uniforms because they looked washed out. I'm not a huge fan of these uniforms either but I think people - especially in this forum - want to bash them because the old uniforms were held is such high regard.

When it comes to the uniform, I have a hard time believing people like clashing colors, in such a clashing pattern, with such a clash in styles between helmet, jersey, numbers, etc. Its the exact opposite of what is preached every day on this forum.

I think that if you believe that the camo is better than the new jerseys your are seriously over reacting. Anything camo that isn't green or grey is absolutely hideous. The new uniforms are not bad but not great. Change one or two things and they would look good. Nearly every uniform has those gripes.

By the way, this website doesn't exactly show the voices of the vocal majority. For the most part, the vocal minority is the strongest here.

cotw_sig_by_bucksfan5-d7bwj72.png

SugarBowl_zps07e2b2c9.png

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think that if you believe that the camo is better than the new jerseys your are seriously over reacting. Anything camo that isn't green or grey is absolutely hideous. The new uniforms are not bad but not great. Change one or two things and they would look good. Nearly every uniform has those gripes.

By the way, this website doesn't exactly show the voices of the vocal majority. For the most part, the vocal minority is the strongest here.

You know what's REALLY hideous? Stickers all over a helmet. The Browns new jerseys are about on par with the genetic boys jerseys you get from Walmart for $10, it's entirely possible that someone thinks anything new that doesn't look that horrible might be better. In fact, someone does and I can't say I disagree with him,

buckeye_sticker_300.jpg

ohio-state-buckeyes_wdsd9g.jpg

ohio-state-football-helmets-afecfc442e60

But oh yeah, you must toe the company line here or the internet vultures attack you.

87Redskins.png

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This board would've hated any changes the Browns made because: Muh Tradishuns!

Ever since the beginning of the Browns new uni thread it was LOLBROWNS and people flat out saying any changes that were going to be made were going to be horrible because the Browns can't get anything right.

Hell, a stickied thread had to be made because trolls would come onto the Browns thread and say "They're called the Browns because of poop lol".

A lot of people on this board do a masterful job of trolling for attention. A lot of them just happened to jump right into this thread.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You know what's REALLY hideous? Stickers all over a helmet. The Browns new jerseys are about on par with the genetic boys jerseys you get from Walmart for $10, it's entirely possible that someone thinks anything new that doesn't look that horrible might be better. In fact, someone does and I can't say I disagree with him,

buckeye_sticker_300.jpg

But oh yeah, you must toe the company line here or the internet vultures attack you.

That's fine if you think that. I'm not trying to say people's opinions matter, they do.

I'm sure if my Username was NolesFan5 you would have said that tomahawks on the helmet and the shirts as sweater stripes are ugly. So I'm not too stressed out about you calling buckeye stickers ugly tbh.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Most of my friends who are Browns fans are in the 25-35 demo and from unscientific polling they're all either in mad hate with them, indifferent because the helmet didn't change that much, or they're happy because the uniforms weren't completely Buccaneered. Almost none of them love the new uniforms.

And to a man/woman they'll all buy some of the new gear because they're football fans and that's what football fans do. Don't let sales numbers cloud that these are pretty bad uniforms. I mean, the Buffaslug sold remarkably well in its first season. THE BUFFASLUG.

If you want a true representation of what football fans think of the uniforms then poll people who aren't Browns fans. That's the only way to get an unbiased answer.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Yes. I thought of this late 80s/early 90s fashion too. Looks more like Zubaz than camo to me.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This board would've hated any changes the Browns made because: Muh Tradishuns!

Ever since the beginning of the Browns new uni thread it was LOLBROWNS and people flat out saying any changes that were going to be made were going to be horrible because the Browns can't get anything right.

Hell, a stickied thread had to be made because trolls would come onto the Browns thread and say "They're called the Browns because of poop lol".

A lot of people on this board do a masterful job of trolling for attention. A lot of them just happened to jump right into this thread.

You can't back up the claim that anything they did would have been hated. I can tell you from my perspective that there's a lot of changes that they could've made that I would have considered improvements.

I don't think anyone trolls Browns fans. Browns fans consider it trolling because they seem to take EVERY detracting comment about their team or city as a personal attack on them and their families and anything else they care about.

The heat that the Browns take is 100% justified in this case. It's cool that there's people who like the new look, but the people who consider it the second worst look in the league (I think Tampa is still at the bottom) are absolutely justified to have that opinion.

People who don't like it have pointed to every aspect that they consider wrong and provided ways it could be improved. It's not just "it sucks lol Browns".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Hardly. I think if you go back and look in the original thread on the new Browns uniforms, you'll see that there were plenty of people that liked the Browns new look. There were quite a few others (myself included) who said that the new look had some real potential but elements like the wordmark on the pants, the "rise shadow", and other issues left the uniform well short of that potential. As BBTV noted, those of us who don't like the look have stated precisely why we don't like it and we made suggestions that we felt would improve the look. But feel free to keep making sweeping generalizations about these boards simply because most people don't share your opinion on something. :rolleyes:

BB52Big.jpg

Hardly. I think if you go back and look in the original thread on the new Browns uniforms, you'll see that there were plenty of people that liked the Browns new look. There were quite a few others (myself included) who said that the new look had some real potential but elements like the wordmark on the pants, the "rise shadow", and other issues left the uniform well short of that potential. As BBTV noted, those of us who don't like the look have stated precisely why we don't like it and we made suggestions that we felt would improve the look. But feel free to keep making sweeping generalizations about these boards simply because most people don't share your opinion on something. :rolleyes:

I tend to like more traditional uniforms, but I love a lot of the '90s uniforms, both for expansion teams (Sharks, Ducks) and established teams (Suns). My tastes are not based entirely on the era in which uniforms were introduced, but the actual merits of the uniform and its appropriateness for the team in its historical context. I broke down the Browns' new uniforms when they were introduced, and I came to the conclusion that: 1) they failed to do the one thing they needed to - create an actual logo; 2) each element of the uniform was slightly-to-considerably worse than the one it replaced; and 3) it was incredibly inappropriate considering the franchise history and the fact that they're still wearing logoless helmets. So, I looked at the uniform objectively and decided it was the single worst set in football, all things considered. But yeah, I probably just hate the new uniforms because they're not what I used to watch on black and white TVs before I was born, or something.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

No I understand they have flaws and they arent in the top half of the league. The big Cleveland and the orange numbers are the things I would change. The contrast stitching is just a given throw out. What I'm trying to say is thy are not as bad as people are making them out to be. Especially the Orange alt and secondary. However It's hard to get past that primary.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

buckeye_sticker_300.jpg

With teams like Ohio State I think helmet stickers work. When high school teams all but cover the helmet logos and stripes, that's when it looks horrible.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived