Las vegas NHL expansion concepts

JetProArt

With the possibility of Las vegas receiving an NHL franchise I came up with a few possible team logos depending on whatever they are gonna call this team. Black Knights doesn't seem like a great name in my opinion, and the NHL might no like a team with a name that is based off of gambling so even though "The Aces" may be the best option, I decided to avoid it and other gambling related names, also because many concepts for Aces have been done already. The "Bighorns" was also an option as the Bighorn sheep is the Nevada state animal but a minor league basketball team in Reno already has the name and a few concepts for that have been done as well. Here are the names of teams that I thought could be a possibility and didn't sound too terribly cliche.

1. The Nukes

tumblr_nsj9079d1d1smn7hto9_500.png

The Nukes pays homage to the nuclear testing that occurred north of Las Vegas during the 40s-60s Sometimes the mushroom clouds could be scene from downtown. Black Knight color scheme of black gold and silver.

2. The Silver Rattlers/Sidewinders

tumblr_nsj9079d1d1smn7hto7_500.png

This could be either two teams "The Sidewinders" which is a snake native to the las vegas desert, or "Silver Rattlers" as a nod to the silver mining industry.

3. The Sidewinders

tumblr_nsj9eeOUz91smn7hto1_500.png

Another version for the Sidewinders name.

4. The Neons

tumblr_nsj9079d1d1smn7hto10_500.png

Nothing says Las Vegas like the flashing neon lights of the strip. Three hockey pucks line the bottom.

5. The Silver Bullets

tumblr_nsj9079d1d1smn7hto3_500.png

This one could carry some controversy to it due to "bullets" what do you think?

5. The Mustangs

tumblr_nsj9079d1d1smn7hto5_500.png

A personal favorite of mine. Nevada is home to more than half of North Americas wild horse population and can be found from southern to northern Nevada.

I'll probably make more logos for other possible names and other versions in the future but for now feedback on these is much appreciated. Also let me know if you'd like to see Jerseys of these.

#3 is the best of the bunch

Thanks by the way you actually inspired me to make these logos! you're a great designer. I like your silver bullet logo, definitely better than my version :P

Thanks haha. I think if you added another colour like a deep gold or silver to #3 it could be really good. I do like the simplicity of it though!

sig_zpsbkzghgfz.png

Twitter: @lestoplegault - Email: Christiantlegault@gmail.com Blog: http://legaultdesigns.blogspot.ca/

These carry some great identities. I appreciate how you went beyond the typical Vegas monikers to bring out unique aspects of the region; well done.

However, as for the Nukes, I think that one would potentially stir up the most controversy. For 'Down-Winders,' as the people who suffered the effects of the radiation from the blasts are called, the tests are a sore subject.

Untitled-1_zpsjn8inbhy.png

Historical note: the first-ever nuclear test was in 1945 in New Mexico. The Nevada atmospheric tests took place in the 1950s and 60s. (1951-62). Underground testing in Nevada continued until 1992.

I like #3 name and logo best. The Mustangs fiery horse brings the Calgary Flames alternate to mind.

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

Historical note: the first-ever nuclear test was in 1945 in New Mexico. The Nevada atmospheric tests took place in the 1950s and 60s. (1951-62). Underground testing in Nevada continued until 1992.

I like #3 name and logo best. The Mustangs fiery horse brings the Calgary Flames alternate to mind.

Thanks for the info! I just estimated the time frame. You think I could get it right considering I did take Nevada history in college :P

Sidewinders is real good, but I like the Mustangs too.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

My personal favorites are the Silver Bullets and Mustangs. Is the Mustangs mane supposed to look like flames or am I just imagining it? (Either it's a nice logo.)

It wasn't originally but during the design process it caught my attention. Although it is reminiscent to the alternate Calgary Flames logo I'm not sure if that logo is still in use.

I'll guess I'll have to be that guy.... Number 3 is good, but you'll need to work on the rattle. It's far too suggestive.

I would add another color to it as well.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

Archived