Unpopular uniform/logo elements: who did them best?

MCM0313

Big Helmet Logo Trend: Eagles, Rams, and Bengals

58p6tm0b3zr4dsrhevp12uva4.gifftn3942al0p6xnzh9lv9v11hl.gif1031.gif

I consider these to be the forerunners of the "big logo" trend. What makes them so good for me is that instead of simply blowing up a logo and slapping it on the helmet haphazardly, they each focused on a single element (stripes, horns, wings) and enlarged it, thus creating something bold yet simple and easy to recognize.

Singular Name: Orlando Magic

xbimzdw5yiu03525o34bvqg9g.gif

To this day I still haven't heard a single plural team name that fits Orlando better than "Magic." It's a brilliant name.

NFL Piping: Atlanta Falcons

Michael_Vick_running,_November_2006.jpg

A simple design that utilizes piping without going overboard. Dated? Probably. But that doesn't mean it looks bad.

NFL Side Panels: Denver Broncos

JohnElwayRunning.jpg

Again, just because it's dated doesn't mean that it looks bad. The Broncos' design is the best use of side panels in football ever, and I fail to see how a million bad imitators turns the well-done original into a bad design.

Gradient Phoenix Suns. This might be the greatest basketball uniform of all time.

e9e367dded3161868bb7be6649826f53_zps40oj

This also did two other 90's NBA trends right IMO - BFBS and big-logo-on-jersey.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always liked the original San Diego Clippers jerseys. Going back to those (color scheme and all) would've been great...and WAY better than what they're wearing now.

Can't upload a pic since I'm on my iPad...

As for the blue road jerseys in MLB, I pretty much liked them all, especially for teams where blue was a primary color (Royals, Mariners, Blue Jays)

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

My MLB powder blue vote goes to the Braves.

BS-Braves-Powder.png

Considering the fact that the Braves' main colors are blue and red, these weren't a good look for them. However, they were great by themselves IMHO.

The Patriots don't make them work. The side panels on the jerseys have always been wider than the pants stripes, and the piping on the jerseys is slightly thinner than the red outline on the pants. This results in a side panel that never lines up properly no matter what.

Yeah, it's a terrible uniform. The Patriots have never looked good (even the drop-shadow italic numbers on soccer-shirt stripes with big honkin' shoulder logos didn't look good, I just liked them anyway), but what they have now is the worst. A complete mess with a lousy smudge of a logo, and they've won like 180 games and four Super Bowls in the damn things.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I've always HATED Stanford's BFBS. Your nickname is a color. Wear that color.

Be careful what you wish for.

sfb_080804_fo_johnbarker.jpg

Meh. I like orange.

My MLB powder blue vote goes to the Braves.

BS-Braves-Powder.png

These actually look pretty good. Never mind that they should probably have red in them but don't; I like them. Of course, I like a lot of the MLB powder-blue roads.

1990s teal:SJ Sharks

MLB light-blue road unis: i liked all of them, mostly braves and brewers

NFL side panels: Broncos

NFL piping: Falcons

NBA roundel logo: 76ers and raptors

NCAAF BFBS: ASU, Boise State, and UNC

NCAAF GFGS: Texas A&M and Tennessee

NBA BFBS: Hornets and Suns

NFL Nike rebrand: Seahawks (As much as i hate them they have a nice set)

MLB BFBS: A's (The first one) and Mets

NBA Sleeves: Warriors gold, clippers, and T-wolves

2eg6xaq.jpg16hsymw.jpg124zfop.jpg49ers_89.jpg

Might be unpopular, but I like how the Magic have pinstripes on their jerseys. They pulled that off pretty nicely imo.

Never a Bulls fan, but I think the Bulls looked good in pinstripes. They were also one of the better examples of black-trim-becomes-black-alternate:

25ae7eba6e6d050e5586556fea49b5b9.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Archived