Loft softball teams: Demons, C-Monsters, Beasts, Over the Limit

-kj

Since I've moved to San Diego, I've joined a new softball team. We're sponsored by a bar called the Loft... and that's the team name: "Loft D" (there's also Loft B and Loft C). That's booooooooring in my eyes.

So on my own, I'm creating a potential identity that I might eventually pitch to the team. Playing on the D label (since we're a D-level team), I settled on Demons.

Here's the first draft:

b0d87d2249391.55c051153c2c6.png

We currently have maroon jerseys, but I also tried a more red version. The cocktail glass comes from the bar's logo (though not directly):

1421276333.png

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Needs roundels.

what about the Dragons

...and this is what I hate about the Concepts forum. Two one-liners, neither helpful in the least.

POTD 2013-08-22

You are a complete jerk, to start off. I know they only use one line, but they are trying to help as much as somebody who writes an essay to you. Anyway, this is not that great. It really could use a roundel, and a more modern, clean look. Also I really don't like how you have to use the bar in your set. This is my opinion, and I hope your happy it is not a "one-liner".

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

At first glance the D is a bit convoluted with all the elements combined on one side. But I wouldn't say a complete clean-up is needed. It definitely carries a bar feeling to it. Currently, though, the scales are tipped just a bit too far toward a restaurant logo, rather than a softball team logo. Eliminating one or two of the elements may help. Just my thoughts.

Untitled-1_zpsjn8inbhy.png

The O on the Demons wordmark looks off. I see that you are using the line in the middle of the O to give the illusion of an evil eye. I think it'd be better if you were to remove the line in the middle of the O to make the eye more visible. Another idea would be to add demon horns on the M, because why not.

That's what- She

I don't see the eye as an "evil eye". It looks more like a sleepy eye. The top half of the o's counter acts as a lid, so the eye looks half closed.

It also has an odd feminine vibe. I think it's because the pupil/iris comes across like an eyelash, and the lid has a slight curve.

I like the rest of the script, and the day the demon's tail wraps around the martini glass.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I think the really angular, monoweight look of the martini glass clashes a bit with the rest of the wordmark. Something a bit more organic and sweeping like the D could be helpful.

I really love the detail of the baseball olive and pitchfork toothpick.

Also, I think you could lose the eye altogether and not miss it.

It definitely looks best on a white background, because the white stroke gets a bit too thick between the m and o, and n and s.

Overall, great job making a fun logo, which is what a beer league softball calls for.

I do appreciate the constructive feedback, y'all; I'm going to take a look at it later this week. (Tonight's curling night, so that's right out.)

POTD 2013-08-22

The O on the Demons wordmark looks off. I see that you are using the line in the middle of the O to give the illusion of an evil eye. I think it'd be better if you were to remove the line in the middle of the O to make the eye more visible. Another idea would be to add demon horns on the M, because why not.

^This. I like the idea of horns on the M too.

I like the character in this. There was obviously some extensive thought behind it that unfortunately not everybody picked up on.

That said my first impression was that it does evoke a restaurant logo feel. You can mitigate that with subtler touches to the cocktail and a less bubbly font but this shaping up to be something really neat.

Midway.png

• 2 weeks later...

Round two:

8f9e1d2277295.55ced89d9bd47.png

I refined the letter shapes, including starting over completely on the D. I decided I wanted to keep the eye in the O, so I tried to make it look a little more angry/evil. I also tried to make the glass fit in a bit better with the overall feel.

Edit:

I kept going; call it round three, if you'd like:

e0c7572277381.55ceee620bc37.png

POTD 2013-08-22

I like it, overall.

But there are things in it I do not like. "The Loft" looks like an afterthought and feel out of place. Have you tried a traditional swooping tail (I don't know the term for it, lol) on the S underneath with the words "The Loft" inside it?

I like the martini glass, but only on the initial 'D', not in the 'Demons'. The reason is because it's so small, and if the owner ever wants to get things sewn on a shirt then it may get lost in translation unless he really pays for the detail, if it's possible at all. That being said, I don't have a suggestion for it, so ... yeah.

Overall though, it's nice!

Please delete my account.

Archived