MLB Rivalry Classics: City Series: Phillies vs. Athletics

Discrim

The wait is over. Rivalry Classics resumes with a city I have something of a conceptual history with, of course I speak of the home of Rocky, stomping grounds of some odd green creature, the land of rough hockey and football players released for borderline inexplicable reasons. Before all of those, though, it was the home of one Connie Mack and his Philadelphia Athletics...

phillyasrivalry.png

The A's tended to have a pretty consistent look for the bulk of their run in Philly, usually donning a blackletter A on the left chest, with royal blue as their main color. The now-familiar Athletics script, indeed, didn't make its first appearance until the team's Philly swan song. The club's other enduring symbol, the white elephant, was famously adopted in defiance of derisive barbs from Mack's friend and rival John McGraw, and though the A's never wore a shirt pocket like the Browns and a few other teams did, I decided to go in that direction for the whites (if you want a straight reporduction, Dressed to the Nines knida already exists ;) ). The road set is something of a peek to the future (I decided to push the time frame up from the 40s to the early 50s), as the A's would wear vests in Kansas City and Oakland, with the past in there for good measure, as they'd occasionally worn pinstripes off and on.

When Boston and St. Louis went from having teams in each league to becoming one-team towns, the less-successful of the two had been the ones to ultimately bolt for greener pastures. In Philadelphia, however, it was the chronically underachieving Phillies who stayed in town, and the A's' issues had as much to do with this as the Phils' newfound success. In any event, here go the Phillies...

philliesrivalry2.png

A good amount of the Phillies' sartorial history has seen them with a P on the chest, so here it goes with the Whiz Kids P. The shortened city name, PHILA, is far more associated with the Sixers, but the Phillies wore Phila grays early in the 1900s. Decided to have a collar on the grays for good measure. I'd considered reviving the old William Penn logo as a sleeve patch, before deciding I hadn't given myself enough time to put forth the necessary effort.

I'll let you know one thing: the two remaining sets are done. I simply plan to wait a few days before releasing Boston, and then a bit after that the NYC Three-way.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Great job! Uniforms look classic, and this would be a good matchup.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

I like what you did with the A's here. (I'm a big fan of all their elephant logos.) But, I'm not really feeling the Phillies. I feel like the away should have the "PHILA." in the same font/script as the "P".

Discrim, these might be your tamest concepts ever. :D Nothing wrong with that, though! They look like something the Phils and A's could actually wear as throwbacks. What's the little mark after the "A" in "PHILA?"

For the A's home,it looks like the logo is a poutch.

Otherwise,looks good.

AND OOOOHHH! Cubs vs White Sox please?

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/100676-cubs-vs-white-sox-crosstown-classic-specials/

I love the A's set, the pocket-look on the front of the home is fantastic. My only thought, is the "." necessary on the end of the "PHILA" road uniform? I may be the only one bothered by it. Either way, excellent job!

bWdXRDv.jpg

ZgaIoh4.jpg

I believe in Auburn and love it!                                                 @RealTCutt                                                                            Colossians 3:23

For the A's home,it looks like the logo is a poutch.

Otherwise,looks good.

AND OOOOHHH! Cubs vs White Sox please?

Yeah, it's supposed to be a pocket. I kinda mentioned that. Now off with ye...

Great job! Uniforms look classic, and this would be a good matchup.

Thank you

Like the Match up and the Phillies unis the A's unis are nice but not my particular cup of tea

One of those times...you see something, you can't really pinpoint anything technically wrong, per se, you simply don't like it all that much. Fair enough.

I like what you did with the A's here. (I'm a big fan of all their elephant logos.) But, I'm not really feeling the Phillies. I feel like the away should have the "PHILA." in the same font/script as the "P".

Fair enough...but then, I didn't feel like repeating the home design, and making a script is often a :censored:.

Discrim, these might be your tamest concepts ever. :D Nothing wrong with that, though! They look like something the Phils and A's could actually wear as throwbacks. What's the little mark after the "A" in "PHILA?"

It's a period, coco :D And as you can see, this aint exactly what the main series was, these have to be at least somewhat plausible for the various periods they're set in (or inspired by).

I'd love that vintage elephant on a cap.

I love the A's set, the pocket-look on the front of the home is fantastic. My only thought, is the "." necessary on the end of the "PHILA" road uniform? I may be the only one bothered by it. Either way, excellent job!

Well, it was there on the original lettering (which you can see on the mothership and also at Dressed to the Nines). Figured I might as well not mess with it, and it separated itself from the Sixers' many PHILAs just enough.

These are great! Id love to see an I-70 Series (Royals vs Cardinals) redesign, but I know you have a ton of requests so if you don't do it or already have don't mind me. Keep up the great work!

Well, I already did it, but okay...

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived