U.S. Soccer New Logo?

Sport Billy

Like it, but don't LOVE it...can't we just get the centennial crest and call it a day?

Nike_Football_USA_Centennial_Jersey__3__

This too is my favorite design, design wise, BUT feel it's inappropriate for a soccer crest since stars regularly symbolize championships. New look is better than the old. Not great but much better.
95% of teams put championship stars above their crest, not inside. Stars inside the crest are fair game, and for the U.S. it's fitting.

Maybe if we actually had a championship star to use outside the shield it would work. But, without a championship, it just looks like we don't know the culture of the star's use in soccer. I guess you could make the argument that there are so many stars it's ridiculous for anyone to think the USA had that many championships but, still, I'd rather they reserve the use of a star for when they actually win one.

it11.jpg

Not when Stars and Stripes are a national symbol for us. The stars we used represent us not championship, anyone who say our old crest could recognize that.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like it, but don't LOVE it...can't we just get the centennial crest and call it a day?

Nike_Football_USA_Centennial_Jersey__3__

This too is my favorite design, design wise, BUT feel it's inappropriate for a soccer crest since stars regularly symbolize championships. New look is better than the old. Not great but much better.
95% of teams put championship stars above their crest, not inside. Stars inside the crest are fair game, and for the U.S. it's fitting.

Maybe if we actually had a championship star to use outside the shield it would work. But, without a championship, it just looks like we don't know the culture of the star's use in soccer. I guess you could make the argument that there are so many stars it's ridiculous for anyone to think the USA had that many championships but, still, I'd rather they reserve the use of a star for when they actually win one.

it11.jpg

Italy is the exception, not the rule.

Also, our women's team does have championship stars, so they could always point to that and be like "See, no championship stars on our men's team."

There are quite a few. I threatened in the other thread to post all of them if someone said that including stars in a crest for the Stars and Stripes would be like claiming championships.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

So much American arrogance in here.

There are OTHER countries with Stars on their flags. Would it be ok for them to add a star inside their crest?

Like Ghana . . . just to think of an example off of the top of my head?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Boom. Done.

C2619C95-02CE-428F-8A69-AF32AE5750E3_zps

Whoa, I never noticed the snake's tongue is a Nike swoosh before. Clever, Nike.

I'm kinda surprised that logo/identity hasn't had more organic staying power, even without being fed by the federation or Nike. It doesn't seem to be a part of a lot of fan-driven iconography I've seen (AO logos, tifos, etc.) and it doesn't seem to have a huge presence online with fans.

I do agree the rumored new crest needs to be more soccery - even just the word soccer is something that, for better or worse, is uniquely associated with America's culture around the game, and is something we could own as a way of rising on our own terms.

There are OTHER countries with Stars on their flags. Would it be ok for them to add a star inside their crest?

I recognize that other countries have stars in their crests.

My post was more about the American arrogance about it.

"We are the stars and stripes, everybody knows that, we should be allowed to add whatever we want."

I recognize that other countries have stars in their crests.

My post was more about the American arrogance about it.

"We are the stars and stripes, everybody knows that, we should be allowed to add whatever we want."

i don't know why we can't have Stars and Stripes in our crest when those are our greatest identifier, not just to us but the whole world, anyone who would see our crest would know they aren't for championships, especially as others have said, the woman team uses stars outside the very same crest to identify their championships, so the stars inside the crest don't identify championships for us.

I'm torn, Overall it's a cleaner looking logo, but it also doesn't really look like it's a soccer logo. It looks like it could be a logo for anything US related. The old one is at least not ambiguous even if it would have benefited from a color reversal.

Boom. Done.

C2619C95-02CE-428F-8A69-AF32AE5750E3_zps

Whoa, I never noticed the snake's tongue is a Nike swoosh before. Clever, Nike.

It wasn't. The original tongue was forked:

us-soccer-dont-tread-on-me.jpg

Somebody photoshopped the swoosh in the tongue as a laugh, and thanks to Google Images that revised one keeps getting picked up and altered for fan concepts.

I'm torn, Overall it's a cleaner looking logo, but it also doesn't really look like it's a soccer logo. It looks like it could be a logo for anything US related. The old one is at least not ambiguous even if it would have benefited from a color reversal.

i've seen a few people raise this point now. ofcourse it's a valid observation, but one where you're only seeing it on a blank page and not in the space/application the logo will "live" in.

you'll never see the logo like this again; it will always be attached to something related to the team, whether its twitter, the official site, apparel, the jersey, a scoreboard, etc. . . it doesn't need to have a soccerball in it because the environments you will always see it in will reinforce what it represents. and yes it is a bit of a generic logo, but it is brand new, logos don't always come with associations attached, they are built over time. you can take any abstract or generic icon and make it a recognizable logo given enough time. and althought here is nothing here that immediately suggest anything else other than "USA", think about it 5 years from now - you'll see it and immediatly know what it represents.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived