U.S. Soccer New Logo?

Sport Billy

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a fantastic read.

So glad that US Soccer had the wherewithal to reach out and ask for feedback about Nike's display face. I'm a fan of the work the Nike did with the new crest, but like most Nike typefaces, that display face was awful. So many terrible letterforms, and the overall proportions and rhythms were all wrong. Props to Tal for taking the spirit of what Nike tried to do, and applying his expertise to make it truly great.

1 hour ago, aawagner011 said:

Will have to read it in full later this evening, but a cool look at what will be the new font for US soccer, both digital uses, as well as the number font.

https://typesupply.com/portfolio/90-minutes

This is such a great read from a process perspective. Unfortunately that font isn't working for me at all in the context of soccer jerseys. Still wish they kept the typeface used from 2006 to 2013, especially as it meshes even better with the new crest.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Will have to read it in full later this evening, but a cool look at what will be the new font for US soccer, both digital uses, as well as the number font.

I don't mind it all that much.

90-min-kit-intro-cnv.svg

But I hate the fact that there are ten different styles to be used for NOBs.

90-min-kit-name-weights-cnv.svg

And that there are different versions of numbers.

90-min-kit-terminal-styles-cnv.svg

If you have to modify your font for different applications, it's not a very good font.

6 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

And here's a video U.S. Soccer just posted with the designer himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aQ-nWIH_n0

Parsons is my dude.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

If you have to modify your font for different applications, it's not a very good font.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this. Some of the best fonts out there are those can offer a robust set of weights, ligatures, glyphs, and alternate characters allowing the designer a large number of possibilities and uses, within a cohesive type family. What sucks is when somebody has a display font (like Nike tends to make) that gets used for body copy and ends up looking tremendously illegible.

With the NOB fonts, I like the he accounted for the longer last names, and created a condensed version of the font specifically for that. Otherwise, the NOB manufacturer will just squish it horizontally and it will look like trash.

I understand making allowances for the rare situations where you need to condense a long name. I can even see a third set with a little more weight to make exceptionally short names fill the space a bit better. 

But ten different variations of NOB?   That's not a cohesive set allowing for needed variation.  It's just a mess. 

19 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

When did the new USMNT crest leak?  Surely "Hendricks Avenue Baseball" ripped it off and not the other way around right? 

Checking out Hendricks Ave's facebook page, looks like they've at least been using it since August 12, 2015 

I believe the US crest originally leaked in the first week of August, so that would suggest that HAB definitely copied it after seeing the leak.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

The leak happened in the first week of August.  The Footy Headlines link I had is now broken, but here's the little piece I wrote in response on August 6:

http://www.nycisblue.com/2015/08/new-usa-crest.html

Seems that they jumped on the leak early.   I find it inconceivable that Nike ripped off a kids league from Jacksonville, Florida. 

Here's the article they posed on their website when they unveiled the logo:

http://www.hendricksbaseball.org/Default.aspx?tabid=808023

The HAB Crest & Logo

The HAB logo was redesigned in 2015 as a five sided crest to pay homage to Jacksonville's rich military history, with each side also representing a neighborhood surrounding our park: The Southbank, St. Nicholas, San Marco, Lakewood, and San Jose. We also wanted to tie together our nearly 70 year history with our future. Our crest harkens back to an era when we started, but our lettering has a modern and sleek look. Finally, the seven pillars symbolizes two ideas; Jacksonville's seven major bridges bringing together our community, and each pillar supports a core trait that guides our league:

Trustworthiness 
Respect
Responsibility
Fairness
Caring
Teamwork
Healthy Competition

2015 also marked the return of the original league colors of green and yellow, which was used from 1947 to 2013. That year, orange and blue became the standard colors of the park. The Hendricks Avenue Baseball League full logo was given a new style- modern and sleek typeface to complement the crest. 

"Their" new logo breaks the first four pillars of the league....

im not really one for "here's what i would have done logo proposals" but Manuel dos Santos nailed it here. the shapes, alignment, spacing, and weights of this little tweak make for a far better crafted logo. you might say "but it doesn't feature 13 stripes!", but with this concept, 13 stripes doesn't work. it's still clear what this logo represents, and thats the point while having a well crafted logo, but if you want 13 stripes, its just not going to work within this design

CcbFD5lVAAEi09b.jpg

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived