Team-issue exclusives in big 4 pro sports. Why?

Cleveland Fan

Didn't hockey players all have the same light blue ringer undershirt back in the day? From what I remembered there wasn't any logos on it but every single player (at least every Flyer) had the same one. I'm fairly certain other teams did too because you'd see it when a jersey got pulled up during a fight.

I'm pretty sure they did I remember Gretzky wore that aswell I think they were still in style in the early 2000's

14o81a1.jpg9qgwba.jpg

Product oversaturation and target marketing are the big reasons... retail merch is very specifically designed to meet the wants/needs of the target market(s)... I would personally love game-cut jerseys with elastic sleeves, but market research suggests that wouldn't hit a wide enough market (hence why Nike's replicas are boxier and more "generous" through the mid-section)... luckily, you can often find actual game-issued jerseys on eBay, and often for less $$$ than a baggy replica costs in stores.

That assertion is barely even relevant in this situation. This is basic element of the product development cycle where function and cost are the driving factors. There's definitely a market for authentic jerseys but the fit and cost of the on field simply would not work in a retail setting. You would also have sourcing issues as there's no way game quality product could be produced at the required scale. Don't get me wrong, research is an important tool for design but this consideration would be deemed unfeasible right out of the gate.

You're overthinking it. The cost and scale are moot points. Not only Nike, but virtually every sports apparel company already mass produces affordable game-cut football jerseys for high school and college teams. I own a Nike Dri Fit high school jersey and the quality is on-par with my NFL gamers... the difference is that high schools aren't price-gouged over the NFL logo on the collar like consumers.

The NBA debuted sleeved jerseys as an attempt to create fan apparel that matched on-court unis while doubling as functional and practical in everyday life. Sales have been weak so far, but the league hasn't given up on the concept... the point is that overly specialized, skin-tight uniforms aren't being marketed to the public on purpose.

Archived