fouhy12

Interesting Sports Facts and Statistics

Recommended Posts

The winner of the Stanley Cup this year will end the longest drought between a team's 1st and 2nd win.

 

The Bruins took 10 years to win their 2nd championship (1929 and 1939). In the expansion era though, the gap was at most 5 years (Devils in 1995 and 2000, Avalanche in 1996 and 2001). Original 6 era franchise records in italics.

 

10 seasons - Bruins

6 seasons - Canadiens

5 seasons - Avalanche, Devils, Rangers

4 seasons - Blackhawks, Toronto

3 seasons - Blackhawks

2 seasons - Bruins, Kings

1 season - Canadiens, Flyers, Islanders, Oilers, Penguins, Red Wings, Red Wings, Senators 1.0

 

If the Lightning win, it'll break a 15 season drought while if the Stars win, it'll end a 20 season gap! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 2019 Green Bay Packers led the Detroit Lions for zero seconds total in 2 games.

 

Green Bay won both games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dipping into European soccer:

 

Only one player has ever scored a hat trick in domestic competition against a team managed by Pep Guardiola. Its Jamie Vardy, and he's now done it twice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just looking through the Gridiron Uniform Database for the Saints-Packers game histories this past weekend, I found that the since 1968 when the Packers host the Saints, they've played 7 games at Milwaukee County Stadium and only 6 at Lambeau Field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There have been three MLB teams that have based in three different cities over the course of their franchise history:

 

- Braves (Boston, Milwaukee, Atlanta)

- Athletics (Philadelphia, Kansas City, Oakland)

- Orioles (Milwaukee, St. Louis, Baltimore)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mrcubfan415 said:

 

 

- Braves (Boston, Milwaukee, Atlanta)

To add to your fact, Robin Roberts, Phillies hall of fame pitcher, is the only pitcher in history to beat the Braves in those three cities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JayMac said:

To add to your fact, Robin Roberts, Phillies hall of fame pitcher, is the only pitcher in history to beat the Braves in those three cities.

66.7% of all players in MLB history with the first name of Robin are Hall of Famers.

 

Damn you, Ventura!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JayMac said:

To add to your fact, Robin Roberts, Phillies hall of fame pitcher, is the only pitcher in history to beat the Braves in those three cities.

If this site had a "Like" feature, I'd definitely give this a like. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, mrcubfan415 said:

There have been three MLB teams that have based in three different cities over the course of their franchise history:

 

- Braves (Boston, Milwaukee, Atlanta)

- Athletics (Philadelphia, Kansas City, Oakland)

- Orioles (Milwaukee, St. Louis, Baltimore)

For the NFL:

 

Washington FT (Boston, Washington (and Landover MD is of course another city but within DC metro))

Cardinals (Chicago, St. Louis, Phoenix metro (Tempe/Glendale)

Rams (Cleveland, St. Louis, Los Angeles)

Titans (Houston, Memphis, Nashville)

Raiders (Oakland, Los Angeles, Las Vegas)

 

NBA:

Hawks (Tri Cities, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Atlanta)

Wizards (Chicago, Baltimore, Washington (as well as Landover MD))

Pelicans (Charlotte (original hornets), New Orleans, OKC (temporarily))

Clippers (Buffalo, San Diego, Los Angeles (and soon to be Inglewood in the LA metro))

Kings (Rochester, Cincinnati, Kansas City (also played in Omaha), Sacramento

Warriors

 

NHL:

Hurricanes (Hartford, Greensboro, Raleigh)

Devils (Kansas City, Denver, East Rutherford, Newark)

Coyotes (Winnipeg, Phoenix, Glendale)

 

Off the top of the dome, Some listed technically (moving within metro area/media market).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TrueYankee26 said:

For the NFL:

 

Washington FT (Boston, Washington (and Landover MD is of course another city but within DC metro))

Cardinals (Chicago, St. Louis, Phoenix metro (Tempe/Glendale)

Rams (Cleveland, St. Louis, Los Angeles)

Titans (Houston, Memphis, Nashville)

Raiders (Oakland, Los Angeles, Las Vegas)

 

NBA:

Hawks (Tri Cities, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Atlanta)

Wizards (Chicago, Baltimore, Washington (as well as Landover MD))

Pelicans (Charlotte (original hornets), New Orleans, OKC (temporarily))

Clippers (Buffalo, San Diego, Los Angeles (and soon to be Inglewood in the LA metro))

Kings (Rochester, Cincinnati, Kansas City (also played in Omaha), Sacramento

Warriors

 

NHL:

Hurricanes (Hartford, Greensboro, Raleigh)

Devils (Kansas City, Denver, East Rutherford, Newark)

Coyotes (Winnipeg, Phoenix, Glendale)

 

Off the top of the dome, Some listed technically (moving within metro area/media market).

and only the Braves and Rams have won a championship in all three of their cities

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JayMac said:

To add to your fact, Robin Roberts, Phillies hall of fame pitcher, is the only pitcher in history to beat the Braves in those three cities.

 

Excellent fact! That's a lot less well-known than the fact that Eddie Mathews is the only player to have played for the Braves in all three cities.

 

9 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

66.7% of all players in MLB history with the first name of Robin are Hall of Famers.

 

Damn you, Ventura!

 

At the risk of bringing down the whole room, I will note that 100% of the Major League players with the first name Aurelio (all three of them) died young in car crashes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, mrcubfan415 said:

There have been three MLB teams that have based in three different cities over the course of their franchise history:

 

- Braves (Boston, Milwaukee, Atlanta)

- Athletics (Philadelphia, Kansas City, Oakland)

- Orioles (Milwaukee, St. Louis, Baltimore)


Technically, both today's Dodgers and Twins franchises could be added to the list. 😉

Brooklyn / Los Angeles
City of Brooklyn (1890-1897)
City of New York (1898-1955)
City of Los Angeles (1956-present)

Washington / Minnesota
Washington, D.C. (1901-1960)
City of Bloomington (1961-1981)
City of Minneapolis (1982-present)
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:


Technically, there have been five: the three you cited, and today's Dodgers and Twins franchises. 😉

Brooklyn / Los Angeles
City of Brooklyn (1890-1897)
City of New York (1898-1955)
City of Los Angeles (1956-present)

Washington / Minnesota
Washington, D.C. (1901-1960)
City of Bloomington (1961-1981)
City of Minneapolis (1982-present)
 

If we're splitting hairs like that, than the Braves should have four cities: Boston, Milwaukee, Atlanta, and Cumberland, their new home. I know you're joking, but for accuracy's sake I'll chime in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, QCS said:

If we're splitting hairs like that, than the Braves should have four cities: Boston, Milwaukee, Atlanta, and Cumberland, their new home. I know you're joking, but for accuracy's sake I'll chime in.


While I was having a bit of fun, I wasn't really "splitting hairs". The franchise that is today's Dodgers did play in three different cities, as Brooklyn wasn't consolidated into the City of New York until 1898. Further, Bloomington and Minneapolis, Minnesota are two distinct municipalities within the Minneapolis-Saint Paul Metro Area. 

As for "accuracy's sake", I was going to cite Cumberland, Georgia... but it isn't a city. It's a community improvement district within Cobb County. Whatever the hell that is. 😄     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tom Brady's skills and vision transfered into his baseball game, in his early days. He ended up getting drafted by the Montreal Expos, before ultimately turning my team down because he wanted to switch to football.

 

It's crazy knowning that the greatest QB of all-time was almost a Montreal Expo.

 

Enj4P8RXEAAn5i2?format=jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

9 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Tom Brady's skills and vision transfered into his baseball game, in his early days. He ended up getting drafted by the Montreal Expos, before ultimately turning my team down because he wanted to switch to football.

 

It's crazy knowning that the greatest QB of all-time was almost a Montreal Expo.

 

Enj4P8RXEAAn5i2?format=jpg

 

I didn't know Joe Montana almost played for the Expos!

 

Kidding aside, I had no idea he played baseball, let alone, drafted by a major league baseball team. 

 

That means that the 1999 Michigan Wolverines had two baseball players behind center with Brady and Drew Henson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.