fouhy12

Interesting Sports Facts and Statistics

14 different seeded teams won an NCAA Tournament game on March 19, 2021 which is the most in any day in the history of the tournament. March Madness living up to its name.

We're currently in the middle of a 3-year stretch without Kentucky, Duke, or UNC in a Final Four. You have to go back to 1959-1962 for the last time that happened. And in that time span, it only went as far as two years without at least one of the three.

April 23, 1999: Fernando Tatis Sr. hits 2 grand slams in the 3rd inning. Against the Dodgers. In Dodger Stadium.

April 23, 2021: Fernando Tatis Jr. hits 2 home runs. Against the Dodgers. In Dodger Stadium.

On 5/17/2020 at 4:10 PM, TrueYankee26 said:

Correct.

The 2020 Texas Rangers have long odds but nothing is impossible

Wow... I just came across this post. Funny how the World Series was decided at GlobeLife and won by the "home team." A proxy win for the Rangers?

I wonder if any team in any sport drafted 2 people with the same name.

Jets draft UNC RB Michael Carter and Duke DB Michael Carter II.

2 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

The MLB draft has like 75 rounds so I'd say the odds are decent that it's happened at least once in all these years.

Since 2002 so in the life of a high school senior or college freshman the Royals have actually won more World Series games than the Yankees, 7 to 6

On 5/1/2021 at 1:50 PM, TrueYankee26 said:

Not the same, but the 2000 Washington Wizards drafted Mike Smith to play along Michael Smith.

The only team in the NL East that has a positive run differential is the last place team.

17 hours ago, BBTV said:

The only team in the NL East that has a positive run differential is the last place team.

And the Phillies just-completed 4-game sweep of the Brewers, which netted them +5, is exactly why.  Win by one... lose by a hundred.

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

And the Phillies just-completed 4-game sweep of the Brewers, which netted them +5, is exactly why.  Win by one... lose by a hundred.

Every one of those games was a complete nail-biter. The series was not for the faint of heart. 

On 5/1/2021 at 3:50 PM, TrueYankee26 said:

That ought to be fun. 

I know of only two other instances where a team had two players with the same name (albeit one case via homophone--i know one happened via free agency, not sure about the other:

1.) The Cleveland Browns at point had WR Andre Davis & LB Andra Davis; and

2) the Mets from around that same time period (?) had two players with the same name at the same position: pitchers Bobby M. Jones and Bobby J. Jones. (Fun fact: those same Mets also had another young hot-armed pitcher in the stable around that time who went by the name Pat Mahomes...)

11 minutes ago, tBBP said:

The 80's Browns had Robert E. Jackson and Robert L. Jackson.

The 2020 Miami Marlins had pitchers Josh A. Smith & Josh D. Smith

England's 1986 FIFA World Cup squad had two players named Gary Stevens

2 hours ago, infrared41 said:

The 80's Browns had Robert E. Jackson and Robert L. Jackson.

Now if they would've had a Samuel L. Jackson too you'd have been working with something. 😄

3 hours ago, tBBP said:

2) the Mets from around that same time period (?) had two players with the same name at the same position: pitchers Bobby M. Jones and Bobby J. Jones.

The 1962 Mets had two pitchers named Bob Miller.

centerfield maz: One of Two Bob Millers on the '62 Mets Staff: "The Lefty" Bob  Miller (1962)

On 5/6/2021 at 7:01 PM, JayMac said:

Every one of those games was a complete nail-biter. The series was not for the faint of heart. 

And now the phillies have a winning record so no 2020 NFC East situation for now.

7 hours ago, tBBP said:

That ought to be fun. 

I know of only two other instances where a team had two players with the same name (albeit one case via homophone--i know one happened via free agency, not sure about the other:

2) the Mets from around that same time period (?) had two players with the same name at the same position: pitchers Bobby M. Jones and Bobby J. Jones. (Fun fact: those same Mets also had another young hot-armed pitcher in the stable around that time who went by the name Pat Mahomes...)

In 1976, the Packers had Mike C McCoy (DB) and Mike P McCoy (DL)

Fun fact - I saw Mike P McCoy at the Georgia Dome in 2010 when I was there watching the Packers play the Falcons. I see the back of a guy wearing a 70s era packer jersey with 76 McCoy on the back. I told my brother it had to be Mike McCoy, since who the heck ELSE would have a jersey like that? Sure enough we see him a little later and instantly know by his face that it's him. I got him to sign my ticket stub from the game.