Jump to content

Interesting Sports Facts and Statistics


fouhy12
 Share

Recommended Posts

Because of the multiple Covid pauses, there was something interesting that I noticed about a few teams in the NHL. The LA Kings, for the last few games, still had a shot at the playoffs.  But the Coyotes, who had more points and were ahead of the Kings in the standings, were eliminated before the Kings were. The weirdest case is the Vancouver Canucks, who are last place in the North division. They are below the Senators and Flames in the standings, both who have been eliminated. But because of their lengthy Covid pause, they’ve got many games in hand, which still gives them a shot at the playoffs. 
 

I don’t know I’ve ever seen anything like this before in the NHL. Sure there’s got to have been a few cases like the Kings, but I would have to imagine, nothing like the Canucks before. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/8/2021 at 7:25 AM, tBBP said:

And they both just somehow happen to be gingers--with the same beard--what are the odds??

 

I see one of those "brother I never knew I had" shows in their future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Kelechi Iheanacho of Leicester City scored against Chelsea today. That makes him the first Premier League player to score on all seven days of the week in one season.

 

First times scoring each day:

  • Sunday: March 14, 2021 v Sheffield Utd (hat trick)
  • Monday: April 26, 2021 v Crystal Palace
  • Tuesday: Feb. 3, 2021 v Fulham
  • Wednesday: May 18, 2021 v Chelsea
  • Thursday: April 22, 2021 v West Brom
  • Friday: May 7, 2021 v Newcastle
  • Saturday: March 6, 2021 v Brighton

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I mentioned this in the thread about Oakland A's possible move, but I thought I'd put it here as well: the A's have now been in Oakland for just as long as they had been in Philadelphia, 54 seasons. 

 

For someone who grew up thinking of the Oakland A's as "new", this is astonishing. Also, I remember well the sadness that I felt when it appeared certain that the A's would be moving to Denver for the 1978 season, a move which would have rendered their time in Oakland shorter than their stay in Kansas City.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/20/2021 at 10:14 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I mentioned this in the thread about Oakland A's possible move, but I thought I'd put it here as well: the A's have now been in Oakland for just as long as they had been in Philadelphia, 54 seasons. 

 

For someone who grew up thinking of the Oakland A's as "new", this is astonishing. Also, I remember well the sadness that I felt when it appeared certain that the A's would be moving to Denver for the 1978 season, a move which would have rendered their time in Oakland shorter than their stay in Kansas City.

 

So I had to look up all the MLB teams that have moved:

 

Yankees - 2 yrs in Baltimore, 119 in New York

Orioles - 1 yr in Milwaukee, 52 in St. Louis, 68 in Baltimore

Giants - 75 yrs in New York, 64 in San Francisco

Dodgers - 74 yrs in Brooklyn, 64 in LA

Twins - 60 yrs in Washington, 61 in Minnesota

Braves - 82 yrs in Boston, 13 in Milwaukee, 56 in Atlanta

Athletics - 54 yrs in Philadelphia, 13 in KC, 54 in Oakland

Brewers - 1 yr in Seattle, 52 in Milwaukee

Rangers - 11 yrs in Washington, 50 in Texas

Nationals - 36 yrs in Montreal, 17 in Washington

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, flasah said:

 

So I had to look up all the MLB teams that have moved:

 

Yankees - 2 yrs in Baltimore, 119 in New York

Orioles - 1 yr in Milwaukee, 52 in St. Louis, 68 in Baltimore

Giants - 75 yrs in New York, 64 in San Francisco

Dodgers - 74 yrs in Brooklyn, 64 in LA

Twins - 60 yrs in Washington, 61 in Minnesota

Braves - 82 yrs in Boston, 13 in Milwaukee, 56 in Atlanta

Athletics - 54 yrs in Philadelphia, 13 in KC, 54 in Oakland

Brewers - 1 yr in Seattle, 52 in Milwaukee

Rangers - 11 yrs in Washington, 50 in Texas

Nationals - 36 yrs in Montreal, 17 in Washington

 

(You meant the Orioles in the second entry, which I have written in there inside the quote.)

 

Thanks for laying this out!  A striking thing is that the Twins have been in Minnesota for longer than they were in Washington as the original Senators.   The other surprising fact is that the Expos/Nationals franchise has already been in Washington for about half of the time that it had been in Montreal.

 

But most jarring of all is how near we are to the Giants and Dodgers being in their current homes for as long as they had been in their original homes.  It is impossible to see this sort of thing and not to look into one's own personal memory.  When I was a kid in the early 1970s, the Dodgers were still managed by Walter Alston, the last Brooklyn Dodger manager; and Leo Durocher, who had managed both the Brooklyn Dodgers and the New York Giants, was still an active Major League manager with the Astros.  And of course Willie Mays was still playing; it was Mays's trade to the Mets in 1972 that sparked my love of baseball history — a love which has outlasted my love of current baseball.

At that time I was surrounded by a bunch of (mostly idiotic) relatives who had all been Dodger fans.  So, even though the move of the Giants and Dodgers happened before I was born and belonged to another era, when I was sitting there watching the 1974 World Series between the Dodgers and the A's (who were managed by the ex-New York Giant infielder Alvin Dark) in the company of these morons, I remember the impression that the move of these teams was a relatively recent event.  (It had occurred only 17 years before; and I can tell you in no uncertain terms that, for me today, the events of 2004 feel very recent indeed.)  To realise that the time since this move is now approaching the length of time that these teams had been in their original homes is nothing short of staggering.
 

The passage of time is a m-f-er.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now let's do the NFL:

 

Bears - 1 yr in Decatur, IL, 100 in Chicago

Lions - 4 yrs in Portsmouth, OH, 87 in Detroit

Wash. FB Team - 5 yrs in Boston, 84 in Washington

Chiefs - 3 yrs in Dallas, 58 in Kansas City

Colts - 31 yrs in Baltimore, 37 in Indianapolis

Cardinals - 40 yrs in Chicago, 28 in St. Louis, 33 in Arizona

Titans - 37 yrs in Houston, 1 in Memphis, 23 in Nashville

Rams - 10 yrs in Cleveland, 49 in Los Angeles, 21 in St. Louis, 5 in LA

Chargers - 1 yr in Los Angeles, 56 in San Diego, 4 in LA

Raiders - 2 yrs in San Francisco, 20 in Oakland, 13 in LA, 25 in Oakland, 1 in Las Vegas

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is a list of the years that the Yankees won the World Series, as well as who was President of the United States at the time:

 

YANKEES-WORLD-SERIES-PRESIDENTS.png

 

 

Of their 27 World Championships, only 7 of them occurred while a Republican resided in the White House, and the last time it happened was way back in 1958!  The Yankees defeated the MILWAUKEE Braves....1958 was the first year that we had the Dodgers & Giants in California, just to put it into more proper perspective.

 

The Yankees won one pennant in 1976 when Ford was in office, but they got swept by Cincinnati's Big Red Machine.

 

They won another pennant with Reagan as President in 1981, but lost that World Series 4 games to 2 to the Los Angeles Dodgers, after going up 2 games to 0 on LA no less.

 

From '82 - '93 the Yankees were dreck and did nothing.

 

I just found it quite curious about this "drought" of sorts the Yankees have with regard to this.  So for this reason alone, Yankee fans may be happy with the current President.  Time and history will tell...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Merging this with the Interesting Sports Facts and Statistics thread, as it's a better fit. 

 

Also, allowing this to stay up because the post itself is relevant to sports and not overly partisan or incendiary, per the CCSLC guidelines. But please don't turn the discussion into anything overly partisan or incendiary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

Merging this with the Interesting Sports Facts and Statistics thread, as it's a better fit. 

 

Also, allowing this to stay up because the post itself is relevant to sports and not overly partisan or incendiary, per the CCSLC guidelines. But please don't turn the discussion into anything overly partisan or incendiary.

To be sure, and thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, flasah said:

Now let's do the NFL:

 

Bears - 1 yr in Decatur, IL, 100 in Chicago

Lions - 4 yrs in Portsmouth, OH, 87 in Detroit

Wash. FB Team - 5 yrs in Boston, 84 in Washington

Chiefs - 3 yrs in Dallas, 58 in Kansas City

Colts - 31 yrs in Baltimore, 37 in Indianapolis

Cardinals - 40 yrs in Chicago, 28 in St. Louis, 33 in Arizona

Titans - 37 yrs in Houston, 1 in Memphis, 23 in Nashville

Rams - 10 yrs in Cleveland, 49 in Los Angeles, 21 in St. Louis, 5 in LA

Chargers - 1 yr in Los Angeles, 56 in San Diego, 4 in LA

Raiders - 2 yrs in San Francisco, 20 in Oakland, 13 in LA, 25 in Oakland, 1 in Las Vegas

NHL:

 

Flames - 8 yrs in Atlanta, 41 in Calgary

Devils - 2 yrs in Kansas City, 6 in Colorado, 39 in New Jersey

Avalanche - 23 yrs in Quebec, 26 in Colorado

Coyotes - 24 yrs in Winnipeg, 25 in Arizona (they've been the Coyotes longer than they were the Jets?!)

Hurricanes - 18 yrs in Hartford, 24 in Carolina

Jets - 11 yrs in Atlanta, 10 in Winnipeg

Stars - 26 yrs in Minnesota, 24 in Dallas

 

defunct teams:

Seals/Barons - 6 yrs in San Francisco, 9 in Oakland, 2 in Cleveland

Senators/Eagles - 50 yrs in Ottawa, 1 in St. Louis

Pirates/Quakers - 5 yrs in Pittsburgh, 1 in Philadelphia

Bulldogs/Tigers - 5 yrs in Quebec, 1 in Hamilton

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

NHL:

Hurricanes - 2 yrs in Boston, 23 yrs in Hartford, 2 in Greensboro, 21 in Raleigh

Stars - 25 yrs in Minnesota, 27 in Dallas

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

NBA:

Pistons - 16 yrs in Fort Wayne, 64 in Detroit area

Lakers - 1 yr in Detroit, 13 in Minneapolis, 61 in Los Angeles

Warriors - 16 yrs in Philadelphia, 59 in Bay Area

76ers - 17 yrs in Syracuse, 58 in Philadelphia

Hawks - 5 yrs in Moline, IL, 4 in Milwaukee, 13 in St. Louis, 53 in Atlanta

Rockets - 4 yrs in San Diego, 50 in Houston

Wizards - 2 yrs in Chicago, 10 in Baltimore, 48 in Washington

Spurs - 6 years in Dallas, 48 in San Antonio

Jazz - 5 yrs in New Orleans, 42 in Salt Lake City

Clippers - 8 yrs in Buffalo, 6 in San Diego, 37 in Anaheim/LA

Kings - 12 yrs in Rochester, 15 in Cincinnati, 3 in KC & Omaha, 10 in Kansas City only, 36 in Sacramento

Grizzlies - 6 yrs in Vancouver, 20 in Memphis

Pelicans - 14 yrs in Charlotte, 19 in New Orleans (2 of those split with Oklahoma City)

Thunder - 41 yrs in Seattle, 13 in Oklahoma City

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, flasah said:

Pistons - 16 yrs in Fort Wayne, 64 in Detroit area

Warriors - 16 yrs in Philadelphia, 59 in Bay Area

To be more precise:

Pistons - 16 in Fort Wayne, 21 in Detroit, 20 in Pontiac, 19 in Auburn Hills, 4 in Detroit

Warriors - 16 in Philly, 9 in San Francisco, 25 in Oakland, 1 in San Jose, 22 more in Oakland, 2 in SF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

defunct teams:

Seals/Barons - 6 yrs in San Francisco, 9 in Oakland, 2 in Cleveland

Standard disclaimer that the Seals should really be considered the Sharks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of my favourite sports facts/trivia questions.

 

During the 1984 NHL Entry Draft, the LA Kings selected two future Hall of Famers.

 

They took Luc Robitaille in the ninth round and the other was their fourth round pick. Who was that player?

 

Spoiler

Tom Glavine

 

To add on, including those two Kings picks, there were five future Hall of Famers selected in the 1984 draft. The other three being Mario Lemieux, Brett Hull and Patrick Roy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.