Warriors - 16 yrs in Philadelphia, 59 in Bay Area

76ers - 17 yrs in Syracuse, 58 in Philadelphia

Hawks - 5 yrs in Moline, IL, 4 in Milwaukee, 13 in St. Louis, 53 in Atlanta

Rockets - 4 yrs in San Diego, 50 in Houston

Wizards - 2 yrs in Chicago, 10 in Baltimore, 48 in Washington

Spurs - 6 years in Dallas, 48 in San Antonio

Jazz - 5 yrs in New Orleans, 42 in Salt Lake City

Clippers - 8 yrs in Buffalo, 6 in San Diego, 37 in Anaheim/LA

Kings - 12 yrs in Rochester, 15 in Cincinnati, 3 in KC & Omaha, 10 in Kansas City only, 36 in Sacramento

Grizzlies - 6 yrs in Vancouver, 20 in Memphis

Pelicans - 14 yrs in Charlotte, 19 in New Orleans (2 of those split with Oklahoma City)

Thunder - 41 yrs in Seattle, 13 in Oklahoma City

Nets - 1 yr in New Jersey, 9 yrs in New York (Long Island), 35 yrs in New Jersey, 9 yrs in Brooklyn 

• Like 2

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

4 hours ago, Quillz said:

#38 is the lowest number that has not been retired by any of the 30 MLB franchises.

Had Curt Schilling made the HOF, Phillies might have retired it since he spent a big portion of his career here and broke out. 

I think he deserves the HOF... but at the same time, I’m glad he’s not in. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 5/24/2021 at 7:35 AM, Quillz said:

#38 is the lowest number that has not been retired by any of the 30 MLB franchises.

Going through it in my mind, without looking up anything, I couldn't remember for whom the following numbers had been retired:

And this made me realise that the team that has done the worst job of retiring the numbers of its most important players is probably the Mets. 

The first guys I thought of for numbers 17 and 18 are Keith Hernandez and Darryl Strawberry, respectively, both of whom deserve to have their numbers retired by the Mets. Likewise, Dwight Gooden's number 16 should be retired.  But the Mets have done none of this. 

If the Cardinals wind up retiring number 37 for Keith Hernandez while the Mets still have not retired number 17, the Mets should be ashamed. But, of course, the team that refuses to bring back its old-timers' day, despite having already staged some very memorable ones, is probably beyond being shamed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Going through it in my mind, without looking up anything, I couldn't remember for whom the following numbers had been retired:

And this made me realise that the team that has done the worst job of retiring the numbers of its most important players is probably the Mets. 

The first guys I thought of for numbers 17 and 18 are Keith Hernandez and Darryl Strawberry, respectively, both of whom deserve to have their numbers retired by the Mets. Likewise, Dwight Gooden's number 16 should be retired.  But the Mets have done none of this. 

If the Cardinals wind up retiring number 37 for Keith Hernandez while the Mets still have not retired number 17, the Mets should be ashamed. But, of course, the team that refuses to bring back its old-timers' day, despite having already staged some very memorable ones, is probably beyond being shamed.

Do the Mets have the HOF qualifier that the Phillies had (and kindasorta do have)?  Looks like other than Gil Hodges, the others have achieved that status.  Could also be the drug issues they each (especially Doc) had.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

27 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Do the Mets have the HOF qualifier that the Phillies had (and kindasorta do have)?

They don't have that qualifier. So there was really no good excuse for failing to honour some of the most important players in team history. I mean, the second most important player in team history behind Tom Seaver would have to be one of those three.

29 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Could also be the drug issues they each (especially Doc) had.

I doubt it. Hernandez has been a team employee in good standing for a very long time. And Gooden and Strawberry have been welcomed back at many events, such as the closing of Shea Stadium.

Side note: my brother tells me that the Mets' owner Steve Cohen intends to bring back old-timers' day. So that's good.  Maybe he'll get busy retiring a few numbers, too.

While discussing the Seattle expansion draft, my girlfriend (a Coyotes fan) and I (Preds) were looking back at the 2017 one, and she mentioned that she could only remember like three or four of the guys her team had protected. When looking it up, I was shocked to find out that Arizona still only had 2 of the players they'd protected, since Nashville still had 8 of our 9. Arizona's seemed outrageously low, but I wondered how both of our teams stacked up against the rest of the league.

While not a direct barometer for success, I still found it interesting. It turns out that my view was skewed, as Nashville still has more of their protected players than any other team, with 8 (despite having only protected 9). Here's the breakdown:

8 Players:

Predators (protected 9): Arvidsson, Forsberg, Jarnkrok, Johansen, Ekholm, Ellis, Josi, Rinne

7 Players:

Canadiens (protected 11): Byron, Danault, Drouin, Gallagher, Petry, Weber, Price

Capitals (protected 11): Backstrom, Eller, Kuznetsov, Ovechkin, Wilson, Carlson, Orlov

Ducks (protected 11): Getzlaf, Kesler, Rakell, Silfverberg, Fowler, Lindholm, Gibson

Jets (protected 11): Copp, Little, Lowry, Perreault, Scheifele, Wheeler, Hellebuyck

Lightning (protected 11): Stamkos, Johnson, Killorn, Kucherov, Palat, Hedman, Vasilevsky

Stars (protected 11): Benn, Faksa, Seguin, Johns, Klingberg, Lindell, Bishop

6 Players:

Bruins (protected 11): Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, Pastrnak, Miller, Rask

5 Players:

Canucks (protected 11): Baertschi, Eriksson, Horvat, Sutter, Edler

Flyers (protected 11): Giroux, Couturier, Laughton, Voracek, Gostisbehere

Islanders (protected 9): Ladd, Lee, Leddy, Pelech, Pulock

Oilers (protected 11): Draisaitl, Kassian, Nugent-Hopkins, Klefbom, Larsson

Sharks (protected 11): Couture, Hertl, Burns, Vlasic, Jones

4 Players:

Blue Jackets (protected 11): Atkinson, Dubinsky, Jenner, Jones

Flames (protected 11): Backlund, Gaudreau, Monahan, Giordano

Panthers (protected 9): Barkov, Huberdeau, Ekblad, Yandle

Penguins (protected 9): Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Dumoulin

Sabres (protected 11): Okposo, Girgensons, McCabe, Ristolainen

Wild (protected 11): Parise, Suter, Brodin, Spurgeon

3 Players:

Avalanche (prtected 11): Landeskog, MacKinnon, Johnson

Blackhawks (protected 11): Kane, Toews, Keith

Hurricanes (protected 11): McGinn, Staal, Teravainen

Kings (protected 9): Kopitar, Doughty, Quick

2 Players:

Coyotes (protected 9): Goligoski, Ekman-Larsson

Blues (protected 11): Schwartz, Tarasenko

Maple Leafs (protected 11): Rielly, Andersen

Rangers (protected 11): Kreider, Zibanejad

Red Wings (protected 11): Nielsen, DeKeyser

1 Player:

Devils (protected 9): Severson

Senators (protected 11): Dzingel

As an aside, the Vegas Golden Knights still only have 6 of the players they drafted in the 2017 expansion draft.

• Like 2

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

• 3 months later...

When the Yankees started their series in Atlanta against the Braves, they both had 9 game win streaks. The last time there was a matchup between 2 teams with win streaks of 9+ was September.... 1901. Yanks swept the Braves and took the first two in Oakland for a 13 game win streak.

And there is this:

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

There is currently one professional athlete that was drafted by the Montreal Expos. 

Tom Brady.

• Like 8

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• 3 weeks later...

If that's not evidence that uniform gods exist then I don't know what is.

Notre Dame QBs have now lost 24 straight starts in the NFL

- 4 by Brady Quinn

- 4 by Jimmy Clausen

- 15 by DeShone Kizer

- 1 by Ian Book That is the longest losing streak by starting QBs from a particular college since 1950 (h/t @EliasSports)

• Like 3

It's where I sit.

Don't feel like seeing if the fact that the Packers and Washington didn't face each other in any regular season or playoff games in the 90s was mentioned...looking down the rabbit hole, I came across a related stat...

The Washington ex-Skins Football Team began play in 1932 in Boston.  The Dallas Cowboys began play in 1960.  The Packers have somehow played only two fewer games against Dallas (37) than they've played against Washington (39).  For comparison's sake, there have been 51 Bears-Washington games and 45 Packers-Eagles games, and the Eagles entered the NFL one year after Boston Washington did.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• 4 weeks later...