Interesting Sports Facts and Statistics

fouhy12

2 hours ago, kimball said:

You speak this, but it ain't over until it's over in the Heat-Celtics series. The Celtics have a long road ahead of them, but these past two games have proved we may see AT LEAST a Game 7.

Well, we can't see Game 8. Not sure what 'AT LEAST a Game 7' means.

It's where I sit.

On 5/26/2023 at 6:10 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

My confusion was based on at least coming before Game 7. If it had come before see, it would have made more sense [shrug]

Yeah, poor grammar.

[shrug]

• Like 1

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Luis Arraez is having a pretty wild season statistically. The Athletic broke down his season (among other statistical fun facts across the league this year), and to save you a click and a paywall, here’s some of what Arraez is pulling off:

- He’s currently running a slash line of .382/.437/.466 despite only hitting one home run all season. The last player to have a remotely similar slash line with only home run was Willie Keeler in 1898 (yes, eighteen ninety eight) with .385/.420/.410.

- His on-base percentage is .437 despite only one homer. The last player to have an OBP of .430 or higher with one home run or less was Richie Ashburn in 1954 (.441). 

- He, as of the article publishing, has a hits to runs ratio of 73/19. If he maintains his current pace, he’d be on pace for 207 hits to 53 runs. If that happens he would 1) leave the most runs unscored in a season in league history (154) and 2) would be the first player ever to have 200+ hits while scoring less than 60 runs. In short? The Marlins’ lineup is stranding thier best hitter at a higher rate than any team before.

Things can change by season’s end on each of these, but for now, Arraez is pace for a pretty amazing, wacky, vintage, and yet unlucky year all at once.

The article: 

https://theathletic.com/4573752/2023/06/02/wild-mlb-stats-2023-judges-oakland-as/?source=pulsenewsletter&campaign=6956448

• Like 1
  • WOAH 1

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Was thinking how this year the Vegas Golden Knights and Florida Panthers both don't use their city's name for their location. One uses a nickname and another uses the state. And thought, well, how often does that happen. And when did it happen last.

Well, easy to forget that Tampa Bay is not the city name, because it happened just last year. With Colorado and Tampa Bay.

But here's the history

2023 - Vegas v. Florida

2022 - Colorado v. Tampa Bay

2001 - Colorado v. New Jersey

1996 - Colorado v. Florida

What is interesting, is that this is the first time not to include Colorado. And Carolina, Minnesota, and Arizona have yet to be part of a two-team non-city finals. Carolina has made it to the finals, just only faced Detroit and Edmonton.

3 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Was thinking how this year the Vegas Golden Knights and Florida Panthers both don't use their city's name for their location. One uses a nickname and another uses the state. And thought, well, how often does that happen. And when did it happen last.

Well, easy to forget that Tampa Bay is not the city name, because it happened just last year. With Colorado and Tampa Bay.

But here's the history

2023 - Vegas v. Florida

2022 - Colorado v. Tampa Bay

2001 - Colorado v. New Jersey

1996 - Colorado v. Florida

What is interesting, is that this is the first time not to include Colorado. And Carolina, Minnesota, and Arizona have yet to be part of a two-team non-city finals. Carolina has made it to the finals, just only faced Detroit and Edmonton.

Interesting little stat. The only Super Bowl that fits this is New England vs Carolina, unless you want to count NE vs NY. It's never happened in the World Series

5 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

Interesting little stat. The only Super Bowl that fits this is New England vs Carolina, unless you want to count NE vs NY. It's never happened in the World Series

I thought about the Islanders, as well. But figure the principal city of their market counts.

Funny that the NBA has so many teams with their city name where other sports have a tendency to use the state. Charlotte, Miami  (Marlins started as Florida until TB started basically), Denver, Phoenix, etc. Utah they're the only Big 4 in the city (Their minor league teams go by Salt Lake, Utah, (real) Salt Lake, so par for the course). Even old time Minneapolis Lakers instead of Minnesota. Only one that bucks convention is Pacers cohorts the Indianapolis Colts use the city name rather than state name. Yet, NBA has one of the weirdest ones: Golden State.  Which always feels like a college name to me.

9 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

I thought about the Islanders, as well. But figure the principal city of their market counts.

Funny that the NBA has so many teams with their city name where other sports have a tendency to use the state. Charlotte, Miami  (Marlins started as Florida until TB started basically), Denver, Phoenix, etc. Utah they're the only Big 4 in the city (Their minor league teams go by Salt Lake, Utah, (real) Salt Lake, so par for the course). Even old time Minneapolis Lakers instead of Minnesota. Only one that bucks convention is Pacers cohorts the Indianapolis Colts use the city name rather than state name. Yet, NBA has one of the weirdest ones: Golden State.  Which always feels like a college name to me.

Marlins didn't switch to "Miami" until the opening of LoanDepot Park in 2012, 14 years after Tampa Bay debuted. And they only switched as part of the stadium deal.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2023 at 3:31 PM, McCall said:

Ken Griffey, Jr. is second all-time in hits by a lefthanded outfielder born on November 21st in Donora, PA.

The all-time leader is Stan Musial, who also produced one of my favorite stat lines ever: an even split of 1,815 hits at home and 1,815 hits on the road.

Donora has to be one proud town.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png