Collegiate Logo Makeover (#10, West Virginia Wesleyan, Week of 10/14)

RevNet

As you may have already guessed from the title, this thread will have my attempts at making over some of the NCAA's worst logos. Think of this as "Extreme Makeover: Collegiate Logo Edition" and that's exactly what this thread will be. For each college or university of my choosing, I will design up to four logos. This will be on a weekly basis, and for this inaugural post, I will be making over the logos for the Savage Storm of Southeastern Oklahoma State University. First, here is a little info on the university:

Name of College/University: Southeastern Oklahoma State University
Nickname: Savage Storm
Colors: Blue and Gold
NCAA Division: II
Conference: Great American Conference
Established: 1909 as Southeastern State Normal School
Famous Alumni: Reba McEntire, Dennis Rodman, Brett Butler (the baseball player, not the comedic actress)

Current Logo:

SOSU+logo.png

Looking at this logo, it's obvious that the first thing that stood out was that it's a NFL ripoff, which is upsetting. Besides that, the blue and the black are close to each other, making for a cruddy logo. I originally was going to do another Oklahoma school, Oklahoma Panhandle State, for this first post, but I just couldn't figure out how to best execute my plan of attack for that school. I may come back to that school at some point in the future, but for now, let's look at what I did for the Savage Storm:

h8jHorZ.png

The main mission with these logos was that I wanted this school to stand out so I took out the black and used their current color scheme of Pantone 2748 C (the blue) and Pantone 109 C (the gold) and made four logos. The logo in the upper-left is the primary logo, and it's a gold-outlined blue outline map of the state of Oklahoma which is then tilted, along with "SE" (as the school is sometimes known as in Oklahoma) written in gold lightning. The lower left logo is the secondary logo and consists of two tilted rectangles, one blue and one gold, with "SAVAGE" written in gold on the blue rectangle and "STORM" written in blue on the gold rectangle. The four lightning bolts (two gold with blue outlines on top, two blue with gold outlines on bottom) complete the logo design. The logo on the upper-right is a tertiary logo and consists of a blue tilted rectangle with "SOUTHEASTERN" written in gold, a thinner gold tilted rectangle with "OKLAHOMA STATE UNIVERSITY" written in blue, and six lightning bolts; three on top in gold with blue outlines, and three on bottom in blue with gold outlines. The last logo is extra and is meant for the football team's helmet (not exclusively). It is simply a tilted "SOSU" written in gold with blue outlines, along with a blue counter space in the "O" and a gold lightning bolt in the middle.

How do you all think I did with this makeover? C&C is more than appreciated, not only with the logos, but with this thread idea. Also, you can submit the name of a NCAA school you think has a bad logo and I just might do that school in the coming weeks.

sport-scarf_dortmund_zps9338859f.png

That font is way to crazy to be used as a logo, tone down the lightning bolts a lot please.

"You play to win the game...Hello. You play to win the game." - Herman Edwards

"We talkin' bout practice?" - A.I.

"What’s that? Ah — playoffs? Don’t talk about — playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game! Another game." - Jim Mora

This is my school and I can tell you firsthand we are "SOSU," not "SEOSU."

I like this idea as I hate our logo. But I'd use a modification of this current secondary logo.

image.jpg1.jpg

Perhaps place this one in front of an Oklahoma and it'd make a great primary. But there would definitely need to be "SOUTHEASTERN" written somewhere outside the state of Oklahoma.

We have a decent font as is, and an alternate logo featuring the mascot, Bolt. But I definitely agree that we could clean it up some.

image.jpg1_1.jpg

I like the idea of the modified secondary logo, because I don't really like your set.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

Just to let you all know, I'm taking your critiques (which I appreciate and thank you for) and applying them to my next set of logos, which will be done sometime next week. Hopefully, they won't all be this crazy and this was my first set.

Just to let you all know, I'm taking your critiques (which I appreciate and thank you for) and applying them to my next set of logos, which will be done sometime next week. Hopefully, they won't all be this crazy and this was my first set.

Understandable. Excited to see what you have in store.

All right, here we go with makeover #2. This week, I'm heading east from Oklahoma to Virginia as I attempt to make over the Trojans of Virginia State University. But first, as always, a little bio on this HBCU:

Name of College/University: Virginia State University
Nickname: Trojans
Colors: Blue and Orange
Conference: Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association
Established: 1882 as Virginia Normal and Collegiate Institute
Famous Alumni: 2 Chainz, Wale, Lauren Koslow

Current Logo:

vsu-2.jpg

Well, the two strikes against this logo are the "Virginia State University" arched text and the gradient treatment given to the helmet. The whole thing feels more like a drawing than a logo to me. So, let's see what I did for Virginia State:

xWfeblp.png

With these three logos, I wanted to give Virginia State a more fierce-looking trojan head, which I did with the primary logo in the upper-left corner. The monogram logo in the upper-right corner is the secondary logo. It has a blue "U" on top of an orange "S" which is then on top of a blue letter "V" to reflect the initials of VSU. The tertiary logo at the bottom can be considered a full logo because it's a bit bigger than the other two. It has an orange shield with a variation of the monogram logo in the center on top of two crossed swords. The colors I used for these logos are Pantone 165 C (the orange) and Pantone 307 C (the blue).

As always, C&C is more than appreciated. Also as always, you can submit the name of a NCAA school (all divisions) that you think has a bad logo and I may just do that school in the coming weeks.

Edit: I couldn't edit the title to reflect this week's school and date. Is there a way to do it?

I hope you all don't mind me being early this week. Once again, here we are in week #3, and this week, we are looking at what I did for the Muleriders of Southern Arkansas University. But first, as always, let's look at their bio:

Name of College/University: Southern Arkansas University
Nickname: Muleriders
Colors: Royal Blue and Gold
Conference: Great American Conference
Established: 1909 as Third District Agricultural School
Famous Alumni: Tommy Tuberville, Nik Lewis, Tracy Lawrence

Current logo:

SAU_Athletics_logo.png

Now this one isn't as bad as the other two, it just needs a bit of cleaning up and a bit more evenness. That is exactly what I did below with at least one of these three logos:

61ZBvjt.png

The new primary logo to the upper-left is an all-new redoing of the current logo. The secondary logo to the upper-right is a fun, monogram "SAU" logo, wherein each letter is made up of parts of a horseshoe, like what is seen in the primary logo. As you can see, the counter space in the "A" is that of the Arkansas state map outline with a star indicating the location of Magnolia, where the university is located. The bottom logo is the tertiary logo and can be nicknamed the "Belt Buckle Logo". It consists of a horseshoe border with the blue Arkansas state map outline on top and the mulerider and his mule from the primary logo on bottom. Inside the border is a blue background with the gold texts of "Southern Arkansas University" and "Muleriders" which completes the logo design.

I used custom shades of blue and gold, because SAU didn't have Pantone information available on their website.

As always, C&C is more than appreciated. Also as always, you can submit the name of a NCAA school (all divisions) that you think has a bad logo and I may just do that school in the coming weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

This week, it was a doozy. It is a miracle that I came up with three logos for the Tritons of Eckerd College. But first as always, though, a little bio:

Name of College/University: Eckerd College
Nickname: Tritons
Colors: Teal, Black, Navy Blue
NCAA Division: III
Conference: Sunshine State Conference
Established: 1958 as Florida Presbyterian College
Famous Alumni: Hank Green, Dennis Lehane, Jay Washington

Current logo:

Eckerd_College_1_220544.jpg

If the team was named the Eckerd Waves, this would be a great logo. But, where is the triton? Not only did I remedy this lack of a triton with my set of three logos, but on top of that, the logos below are slick-looking for a Division III college:

s7DS57d.png

First off, I got rid of the black as a color and decided to keep the teal and navy blue colors from the current logo. The upper-left logo is the primary logo, which consists of the business end of the triton formed like a letter "E" in teal, along with an interlocking letter "C" in navy blue. The upper-right logo is the secondary logo and consists of the words "Eckerd" in teal and "College" in navy blue. Both words are rendered in the same type of lettering as the primary logo. The bottom logo is a full, tertiary logo that consists of a teal nautical shield with a version of the primary logo wherein the "E" is white instead of teal. Below the "EC" is the word "Tritons" in white and in the same type of lettering as both logos above. Two crossed navy blue tritons in the background complete this logo.

SAU looks REALLY nice. VSU looks nice, but I think the trojan head should have some details. It is just a huge blank space right now. SOSU looks good, but I agree that the font is just too much. Eckerd is okay, but I think it needs something else, but I can't figure out what.

56e455ee03d99_newmexico.png.a50dec533f84

This week, it was tough selecting a college to do these logos for, because just yesterday, I had selected South Dakota Mines. As soon as I started, though, the idea I had for them was not going to do, so I started again with the Thorobreds of Kentucky State, and that is what you are getting today. But first, as always, a little bio:

Name of College/University: Kentucky State University
Nickname: Thorobreds
Colors: Green and Gold
Conference: Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
Established: 1886 as State Normal School for Colored Persons
Famous Alumni: Jayjay Helterbrand, Joseph Kendall, Yingluck Shinawatra

Current logo:

image001.jpg

The main problem is that I don't think it's fierce-looking, and the zoom-out "KSU" doesn't help much. Overall, it just looks too cutesy for my taste. Here's what I did:

vwwfjrY.png

The upper-left logo is the primary logo, and is a simple, yet fierce-looking green horse head with gold outline. The upper-right logo is a simple, collegiate "KSU" monogram in gold with a green outline. The bottom logo features a full-body edition of the primary logo in the background. In front is a stacked-and-flanked edition of the "KSU" monogram. Below that is the green-outlined gold "Thorobreds" text which completes the design package you see.

I used custom green and gold shades, because KSU didn't have any Pantone information.

I like KSU, but I think it could use a better font. Maybe something in italics and not so (for lack of a better word) boxy. I was wondering, are you going to make updates for some of the previous teams?

Also, to edit the title, you edit the original post and change the title there.

56e455ee03d99_newmexico.png.a50dec533f84

I like KSU, but I think it could use a better font. Maybe something in italics and not so (for lack of a better word) boxy. I was wondering, are you going to make updates for some of the previous teams?

Also, to edit the title, you edit the original post and change the title there.

To answer your question: Yes, but only when I can't think of anything to do for a new college. Sorry it took me so long to answer that. It's been a busy week. As a matter of fact, I might go back and redo my logos for the Savage Storm either today or tomorrow.

Actually, I have something for y'all. Didn't think I was going to ever get these logos done, but here we are. I have designed four logos for the Clan of Simon Fraser University in Canada. Yes, this school is in the NCAA. I had wanted to do this school earlier this week, but the ideas just weren't coming to me. But anyhow, here's the bio on SFU:

Name of College/University: Simon Fraser University
Nickname: Clan
Colors: Red, Blue, & Grey
Conference: Great Northwest Athletic Conference
Established: 1965
Famous Alumni: Terry Fox, Justin Ring, Jay Triano

Current logo:

130px-SFUclanlogo.png

Not necessarily a bad logo, but I think it can be done better. Here's what I did:

iICNI7k.png

The top-left logo is the primary logo and consists of a blue-handle claymore (sword) and a red circular shield with a white "SFU" monogram and two white Canadian maple leafs flanking the monogram on top. The bottom-left logo is the mascot logo and the logo I did first. It is that of SFU's official mascot, a Scottish terrier named McFogg the Dog. You can click here to find out about his legend, which is too long to post here. I have made this McFogg more noble, yet still have a touch of aggressiveness. The top right logo is the secondary logo and consists of the red text "Simon Fraser" on top and divided out by the two red claymores which are crossed. The red "Clan" text and three red lines complete the logo. The bottom-right logo is that of a red version of the "SFU" monogram by itself.

Whereas SFU was hard to come up with, these three logos for the Grizzlies of Adams State University were quite easy. First as always, though, a little bio:

Name of College/University: Adams State University
Nickname: Grizzlies
Colors: Green and White
Conference: Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference
Established: 1921 as Adams State Normal School
Famous Alumni: Don Cockroft, Neal Nelson, Pat Porter

Current logo:

200px-Adams_State_Grizzlies_logo.png

Ok, that is obviously Optima, which is not that great a font to use for any college's athletics program. It's better fitted for a doctor's office, I feel. Also, since the green is dark, I feel that the black is a bit unnecessary. Here's what I did for ASU:

3Ns4xie.png

This logo package is a classic look with a touch of modernity. The upper-left logo is the primary logo and consists of a green letter "A", wherein the counter space is replaced by a grizzly bear paw. The upper-right logo is the secondary logo and consists of a green version of the grizzly bear paw from the primary logo that is then tilted and given a pawless letter "A" at the bottom. The bottom logo is the tertiary logo and is a tiered "ASU" monogram with the "U" receiving the grizzly bear claws from the secondary logo. For the green, I used Pantone 3435 C and got rid of the black.

Archived