High school MULTIPLE logo ripoffs

ECUFan25

Since I have time to kill this morning at work. I'll post a few schools here in SC that use MULTIPLE stolen logos.

330wgi9.jpg

That Peyton Manning Palmetto logo is actually pretty nice. I'll give them credit for at least arranging it in a logical fashion AND they picked two logos that are complimentary to each other.

They could stand to thicken the keyline and nail holes on the Colts, though, so it matches Denver more closely.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Since I have time to kill this morning at work. I'll post a few schools here in SC that use MULTIPLE stolen logos.

330wgi9.jpg

That Peyton Manning Palmetto logo is actually pretty nice. I'll give them credit for at least arranging it in a logical fashion AND they picked two logos that are complimentary to each other.

They could stand to thicken the keyline and nail holes on the Colts, though, so it matches Denver more closely.

Ha. Same thing I thought as well when I first saw it last year

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

My kids' middle school uses K-State's wildcat helmet logo, but has a painted logo on the wall of the entry that's from the defunct WPHL Arkansas GlacierCats. Their fight song? On Wisconsin.

The band fight song thievery is a theme in the school district (Eagle Mountain-Saginaw, which is north Fort Worth). Boswell H.S. uses Notre Dame, Saginaw HS uses Michigan State, and Chisholm Trail uses something that sounds mostly like Iowa's. I think one of the other middle schools uses Michigan's.

I can sorta get Wayside and Boswell using Big10 region songs. Both schools are 50+ years old and when they were built in the middle of a rural landscape far removed from a civilization that might recognize the songs. But the rest of the schools are less than ten years old, and the district is well within the bounds of an urbanization that includes a lot of transplants from that region. Oh well, I guess they don't care. My wife and I have fun and draw stares at Boswell games when we sing our own alternative Notre Dame lyrics (We never falter, we never fall. We sober up on wood alcohol...)... and when we play Saginaw we have alt lyrics for them as well (my wife grew up 20 minutes from East Lansing).

My kids' middle school uses K-State's wildcat helmet logo, but has a painted logo on the wall of the entry that's from the defunct WPHL Arkansas GlacierCats. Their fight song? On Wisconsin.

The band fight song thievery is a theme in the school district (Eagle Mountain-Saginaw, which is north Fort Worth). Boswell H.S. uses Notre Dame, Saginaw HS uses Michigan State, and Chisholm Trail uses something that sounds mostly like Iowa's. I think one of the other middle schools uses Michigan's.

I can sorta get Wayside and Boswell using Big10 region songs. Both schools are 50+ years old and when they were built in the middle of a rural landscape far removed from a civilization that might recognize the songs. But the rest of the schools are less than ten years old, and the district is well within the bounds of an urbanization that includes a lot of transplants from that region. Oh well, I guess they don't care. My wife and I have fun and draw stares at Boswell games when we sing our own alternative Notre Dame lyrics (We never falter, we never fall. We sober up on wood alcohol...)... and when we play Saginaw we have alt lyrics for them as well (my wife grew up 20 minutes from East Lansing).

Fight song theivery is on a whole different level in High Schools. Of all the HS football I see statewide, I can count on one hand how many schools use something original.

Among the ones I've heard used on the regular:

Wisconsin (On Wisconsin & the one play after they kick the XP)

Michigan

Ohio State

Notre Dame

USC (The one they play EVERY DOWN)

South Carolina (U-S-C! Gooooo Cocks song)

Miami (Ohio)

Lots of other ones I've heard I know belong to colleges, but can't place whose it is.

------

Fun Story: when I was in high school chorus class, I would always mess around on the piano (playing with two fingers) during free time. I was playing "Hail to the Victors" one day and the chorus director asked me what song it was so i told him. Next thing I knew, they had made that the school fight song. Previously, my school had just used the theme from Rocky.

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

Why do so many high schools do this? I could sort of understand it back in the pre-Interwebs days, it was harder to get access to resources for original designs. But today, I just don't get it. At the very least a school can go and grab a stock design and, while not necessarily unique, it's at least not a rip-off of a well-known team logo.

Short answer: its more cost-effective. The expense involved in a complete logo overhaul is high and difficult for a public school to justify. They usually work an update in around the same time as gym renovations or new equipment is needed.

In my experiences, high school booster clubs are very open to custom designs first, and if custom logos gain traction through fundraisers, athletic directors become a lot more open to updating logos.

Why do so many high schools do this? I could sort of understand it back in the pre-Interwebs days, it was harder to get access to resources for original designs. But today, I just don't get it. At the very least a school can go and grab a stock design and, while not necessarily unique, it's at least not a rip-off of a well-known team logo.

Short answer: its more cost-effective. The expense involved in a complete logo overhaul is high and difficult for a public school to justify. They usually work an update in around the same time as gym renovations or new equipment is needed.

In my experiences, high school booster clubs are very open to custom designs first, and if custom logos gain traction through fundraisers, athletic directors become a lot more open to updating logos.

Years ago (when a lot of these logos were stolen) branding was not what it is today because your logo can be used across a lot more platforms that was not available back then.

Years ago (when a lot of these logos were stolen) branding was not what it is today because your logo can be used across a lot more platforms that was not available back then.

I know a few athletic directors who intentionally adopted pro logos because it was cheaper to get bulk decails for sports equipment than getting custom-printed everything... it would be interesting to see teams file copyright claims on schools.

I know that my Alma Mater uses 2 as well! The Wisconsin Motion W and the Minnesota Vikings Viking, well the old one now! Always bugged me being a Packers fan and yell go Vikings lol! But my school was Wisconsin Lutheran. And there are a couple handfuls of schools with Vikings as a name in the state!

packchampionslfroh.png

Archived