One (game) and done: Michael Sam "stepping away from football"

Viper

You know he was in the close, but the NFL already had a strong Gay player named Jerry Smith who looking at his stats for Tight Ends of his era could be considered at least a borderline Hall of Famer.

who is not known by most people today because it hasn't happen in the age of the internet/twitter/facebook. its to bad too. a movie about Smith would be good (he died from AIDS in 1986).

so long and thanks for all the fish.

It appears Sam may have lacked the mental preparedness to play professional ball, but his physical game deserves more credit than it's getting (and probably deserved more looks from an NFL team).

He was THIS close to making the Rams roster out of camp last year. But the Rams DL was loaded, and they narrowly chose to go with an UDFA DE who forced their hand for the final spot on the line.

Wouldn't have taken much for things to have broken differently and for him to have made an NFL roster. But I do suspect that opportunity has passed at this point.

How many players have done that?

Seventh-round picks fluctuating between the NFL and CFL to out of football and then resurfacing on a roster? I'm sure there are quite a few - we just don't hear about them because not many seventh-round picks get front-page attention.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

If be surprised if it happens much at all. Roster spots are so tenuous at best, hard to come back from any time out of the sport.

The LGBT community just lost all their armchair QB's.

I'm not sure what you mean.
Seems clear to me.

Me, too, actually, but I prefer to presume good intent from my fellow posters. So I thought it would be good if he clarified.

I could actually completely see a player who hadn't gotten all this attention find his way back into the league. But with Sam, I'm not so sure.

For one thing, he didn't just get cut, he's stepped away from it voluntarily twice (once short-term, and now seemingly for at least a full season). And Sam is being judged harder than other similar players would be. I personally think that's hard to deny. If you take away everything but football, he would have gotten more interest last year after the Rams let him go. It took a while for the Cowboys to snatch him up, and then nobody was interested this year. I don't think everyone in football is a bigot or anything, but I think it caused a lot of overthinking.

You put that altogether and I think it will be unlikely that an NFL team decides to bring him in. With that said, maybe he'll get another shot in the CFL or arena football. And if that happens and he performs well, then you never know.

I don't think it's his football that's keeping him from getting more looks. I think it's the extra attention and he's sort of been labeled as a "headcase" which right or wrong is something that most teams want nothing to do with.

If a breakup caused him to leave the Alouettes I can't see NFL teams being okay with that. If a straight guy left camp because his engagement to a woman fell apart teams would look at that guy as not having the right mindset to be a professional football player.

PvO6ZWJ.png

It's still not common, but Richie Incognito hasn't played a regular season game since Week 9 2013, and I'm pretty sure he'll be starting for the Bills. He had some negative attention.

Wait, Buffalo did/is doing what?!

Whoever signed off on that needs to be fired for cause.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It's still not common, but Richie Incognito hasn't played a regular season game since Week 9 2013, and I'm pretty sure he'll be starting for the Bills. He had some negative attention.

Incognito has years of film at the NFL level for teams to look at, Sam has just as much film as any second year player who made the practice squad as a rookie only to be cut mid-season.

While I think the FXFL is poorly run and unnecessary, it does provide game film under pseudo-NFL rules for players off contract.

The Montreal GM, had an interesting comments regarding Sam to SportsNet a couple days ago.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/popp-alouettes-didnt-get-sams-best/

I'm in phone, so I cannot bracket his quote, but GM Jim Popp said:

"I realized this after the fact and you really dont know people until you have them. Just to sit down and have breakfast with him, his phone doesnt stop. It is ongoing contact from people. There are lots of people who want to get a hold of him and get a piece of him and its hard to be pulled in all of those directions. People may say, Oh well, youre just signing another NFL superstar. Well, he never played in the NFL. He played in the pre-season but at least half the guys on our roster have played in the NFL pre-season.

So signing him for me is no different than them, except he is Michael Sam, someone who everyone is monitoring. Hes won an Espy. Hes followed by a lot of people who dont traditionally watch football. Two years ago he lead the NFL in jersey saleshe didnt play a down. Then he got Hollywood status with Dancing With the Stars.

So he is a person at 25 years of age who has a lot on him from all different angles. As he self-described in his release over the last 18 months things have really changed for him. In that time between when he left the Rams and when we got him I dont know what happened with these thingsthere are multiple factors but we never got his best. We tried to help him both on and off the field as we do with all our players."

Archived