NPSL | Detroit City FC Rebrand

Go Red Sox!

Back again with another little soccer/football club rebrand – this time it's the NPSL's Detroit City FC.

No color scheme changes here, but a completely different design. Gone is the unique, but for a soccer club rather odd Adonis-like and very unathlectic look. My logo includes a shield divided into thirteen stars on the left and thirteen stripes on the right half underneath a ribbon, standing for the thirteen original colonies. These stars and stripes, as well as the classic fleur-de-lis, are derived from the Flag of Detroit.

Current%20Detroit%20FC%20logo_zpsqgndyqu

Current Detroit City FC logo

Detroit%20City%20FC%20primary%20logo%20o

Detroit City FC crest on burgundy (uniform) background

Detroit%20City%20FC%20primary%20logo_zps

Logo detail

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

In a word: Yes.

DCFC’s current brand is pretty miserable, but you’ve taken a lot of the neat elements of the Detroit flag and parsed them together into a really nice, crisp design. Well done.

Thanks a lot, crashcarson15. Much appreciated.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

That's quite nice. The fleur feels a bit squashed/deformed; cleaning up that would go a long way.

That said, I feel like the Spirit of Detroit should be incorporated in some way; not necessarily the entire statue, but maybe the ball? You might also consider reducing the number of outlines involved.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

You took the last logo that looked like it could be for a math club, and made this. Yeah. It's a huge upgrade. I am thrilled with your work, can't wait to see the kits, hope you post them.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

It's a fine logo, but I thought there were things about it that could be improved. So, with apologies to the creator of the design, I made, what I thought were improvements.

13zmlft.jpg

I thought there was too much white in the logo, so I made the banner into gold and gave the lettering a white outline to make it stand out better. Plus, I enlarged the shield so that I could include a couple of lions that are also incorporated into the city flag.

I hope you don't mind, Go Red Sox! :)

As a fan who follows the city, I really like the logo. I think this could be a great logo if Detroit ever get a MLS team

Thanks, crosby87rules.

That's quite nice. The fleur feels a bit squashed/deformed; cleaning up that would go a long way.

That said, I feel like the Spirit of Detroit should be incorporated in some way; not necessarily the entire statue, but maybe the ball? You might also consider reducing the number of outlines involved.

Thanks a lot, Mockba. Actually this is the original shape of the fleur-de-lis used in the Flag of Detroit. I didn't change anything, except for the color:

Detroit%20flag%20fleur_zpsnjdld7zm.png

I might create a secondary logo that incorporates the ball or some such thing.

another great rebrand by Go Red Sox

Thanks, TVIXX. In this case it wasn't really hard to make it worse.

You took the last logo that looked like it could be for a math club, and made this. Yeah. It's a huge upgrade. I am thrilled with your work, can't wait to see the kits, hope you post them.

Much appreciated, jcrollis714. Uniforms might follow. Just looking for a template.

whoa a huge improvement

Thank you, JMtexan09.

It's a fine logo, but I thought there were things about it that could be improved. So, with apologies to the creator of the design, I made, what I thought were improvements.

13zmlft.jpg

I thought there was too much white in the logo, so I made the banner into gold and gave the lettering a white outline to make it stand out better. Plus, I enlarged the shield so that I could include a couple of lions that are also incorporated into the city flag.

I hope you don't mind, Go Red Sox! :)

Thanks a lot, thebigeh. Don't mind at all.

I like your revision. I also tried that out, except for the British lions and the white typo outline.

Detroit was a european settlement and the city name was given by French colonists. Detroit is the french word for "strait" (le détroit du lac Érié, meaning the strait of Lake Erie), linking Lake Huron and Lake Erie. I didn't incorporate the British lions for two reasons: Firstly, because I don't like the shape of it and secondly because the British did not found the fort of Detroit (they "only" controlled it from 1760-1796). I wanted to focus on the very origin of the city of Detroit and its heavy french influence. (Btw: Thank you, Wikipedia)

Like mentioned before, I also had a draft with a gold ribbon. I like it, but it's a little too much gold for my taste – even though their current logo has a lot of it in it. White is a neutral color, a color most sports teams have in their color schemes. So I decided to give the white ribbon a shot that also creates a better color contrast to the burgundy typo. I know, it's a little white-heavy, but I like the overall look of it; also because it's rather rare.

• 3 months later...

It's not awful (the one with the lions is better than the original) but my main beef is that aside from the fleur-de-lis, it seems to completely ignore Detroit's history and honestly, aside from the name in the ribbon and the colors, could be a crest for any club in the country.

Michigan was the 26th state admitted to the union, so what significance do the 13 stars and stripes have to do with anything?

Also, why lose the Spirit? If you ask anyone around Detroit you'd find that the Spirit is a much more recognizable symbol of Detroit than the fleur-de-lis.

It's not awful (the one with the lions is better than the original) but my main beef is that aside from the fleur-de-lis, it seems to completely ignore Detroit's history and honestly, aside from the name in the ribbon and the colors, could be a crest for any club in the country.

Michigan was the 26th state admitted to the union, so what significance do the 13 stars and stripes have to do with anything?

Also, why lose the Spirit? If you ask anyone around Detroit you'd find that the Spirit is a much more recognizable symbol of Detroit than the fleur-de-lis.

Look up the flag of Detroit. This looks great OP.

Edit: I reread the first post and saw what you're seeing. I like the reference to the flag, but not sure about the reasoning. How many stars are on the real flag? I like it better than the current cause the statue isn't rendered well at all. This is a clean bold concept that'd be great for print.

I've explained that in my introduction. The 13 stars and 13 stripes are derived from the city flag of Detroit. Same goes for the fleur-de-lis.

Look up the flag of Detroit. This looks great OP.

Edit: I reread the first post and saw what you're seeing. I like the reference to the flag, but not sure about the reasoning. How many stars are on the real flag? I like it better than the current cause the statue isn't rendered well at all. This is a clean bold concept that'd be great for print.

Thanks, raysox. The original Detroit city flag contains 13 stars, 13 stripes (for the thirteen original colonies) and the fleur-de-lis:

800px-Flag_of_Detroit_Michigan.svg_zpspx

Archived