Adidas Lands NHL Uniform Contract for 2017-18 and Beyond

LAWeaver

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get it. They own CCM. They switched every other team and league they do business with over to CCM last season. They pulled the adidas brand out of the NBA, where there are many more higher-value opportunities for brand promotion. Why ditch that to slum it in the NHL, where your entire legacy is, what, a couple of seasons supplying the Oilers 30+ years ago?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

If hockey/the NHL is a part of Adidas' long-term business strategy, why haven't they wrestled away the current uniform deal from their dying subsidiary that is Reebok at any point in the last 3 years?

It just feels like a " :censored: it, who knows," move by Adidas.

Just when the NHL is starting to look good again, save a few teams, Adidas is gonna come in and ruin it with 3 stripes and ads everywhere.

It's gonna be edge all over again. The O6 and a few others will tell them to :censored: off while the rest will get tire tread garbage and 3 stripes and then will eventually come to their senses a few years down the line (well except for like the Avs and Sens).

I doubt we'll see 3 stripes on the uniforms (okay, maybe one or two new designs). But Adidas's three stripes were only prominent on NBA warmup gear and not the actual uniforms. Plus, Adidas took over for Reebok in the NBA and there wasn't that much change. Luckily, the NHL doesn't have much warmup gear.

And I doubt they go tech-fit or tire treads on the uniforms. The overall disdain for the Edge design is pretty widely known, and I'm pretty sure Adidas knows this.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

If this results in another league wide re-branding debacle like in 2007, I will seriously consider not watching anymore. A uniform contract should not be an excuse to change everything attractive and interesting about a teams identity, but that's exactly what RBK did with nearly all of them. It's been eight years and just when uniforms have started to look respectable again, we get this horrible news :angered:.

A lot of the stories out there think that corporate ads are going to come along with this. The NBA and NHL are both too close...it's going to happen. CFL-style for now. Then we'll see.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

adidas_zpsnhcfckw1.png

Didn't the CFL use this pattern for their combine jerseys? Still read Reebok though. I'd expect something like thtee stripes up the sides of the practice jerseys and breezers. I wonder if they'll go the CFL route with Puma and put the logo on one front shoulder and the back of the neck.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived