Adidas Lands NHL Uniform Contract for 2017-18 and Beyond

LAWeaver

Not tasteful. Not as bad as some things. But not tasteful.

Even if you are OK with it, there's no doubt that it waters down the team brand.

I remember hearing that the little patch on NBA jerseys could make $100 million per year. Wow; that's a lot of money. Of course, when you divide it by 30 teams, it's just over $3 million per team. They are paying that to players I've never even heard of. Is it worth $3 million per team to share the canvas with VW, Delta, and McDonalds? The answer, it appears, is yes.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are there current examples of Adidas hockey jerseys?

Michigan had Adidas hockey uniforms for several years until Adidas switched over to Reebok. A quick Google search of the topic would yield many results.

You're right..looks amazing

OOvrgNq.jpg

NmVamfo.jpg

Even if you are OK with it, there's no doubt that it waters down the team brand.

I remember hearing that the little patch on NBA jerseys could make $100 million per year. Wow; that's a lot of money. Of course, when you divide it by 30 teams, it's just over $3 million per team. They are paying that to players I've never even heard of. Is it worth $3 million per team to share the canvas with VW, Delta, and McDonalds? The answer, it appears, is yes.

It does seem like an awfully low amount. If we're talking 20M/year (NBA) or like 5M/year (NHL), then maybe it's worth it because that's a good player's salary. But for 1-3, the juice doesn't seem worth the squeeze.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The design on the pants would need to be the same regardless of manufacturer.

It's all part of the uniform. if Adidas wants the pants stripe to have three stripes and the team says ok, then those pants stripes change.

Now those pants stripes would then be the same regardless if it were CCM, Warrior, Bauer, or whomever making the pants...but the design on the pants is part of the uniform and up to the team

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I think that Adidas will just continue to use the Edge system. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. (Talking about the uniform system, not the designs) All they'll do is remove Rebook name and slap on Adidas. We might see the Adidas logo on the front but that will be about it. As for the ads, look at what the AHL and ECHL have done. That may be all we see, patches on the right side of the chest. I don't expect a European style as I don't see the North American market accepting those. Fans will still be able to purchase ad free jerseys as replicas. My 2 cents... although since we don't have the penny any more here in Canada, it'll have to be a nickle.

I think that Adidas will just continue to use the Edge system. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. (Talking about the uniform system, not the designs) All they'll do is remove Rebook name and slap on Adidas. We might see the Adidas logo on the front but that will be about it. As for the ads, look at what the AHL and ECHL have done. That may be all we see, patches on the right side of the chest. I don't expect a European style as I don't see the North American market accepting those. Fans will still be able to purchase ad free jerseys as replicas. My 2 cents... although since we don't have the penny any more here in Canada, it'll have to be a nickle.

Fingers crossed that the only thing changing is the company logo where it says Reebok currently. I don't want to see a 2007 style NHL redo, though I wouldn't mind seeing some teams bring out some new looks. We all know who the culprits are. Overall, since the Edge takeover, I think that during its time, the NHL aesthetically hasn't been this good since the early 90's. Though there are still way too many teams that need new uniforms, a lot of teams have made fantastic improvements in recent years and I don't want to see this progress suddenly stop. As for the ads, I think that would be my final straw as an NHL fan. If the NHL, NBA, NFL, and MLB all adopted ads on their jerseys, I would honestly consider asking to have my account on here removed. I probably wouldn't do that, however, I think ads on the actual jerseys is pretty low, and I don't think talking about jerseys with ads all over them is the same as an empty, how do I describe this, an ad-free canvas. These teams already make far too much money and they just seem to want more. This is greed at its worst in my opinion. I love the CFL, and they have ads, however, they are nowhere near the financial supergiant of a league that the NFL is and they never will be, which for that league, I understand it, but a multi-billion dollar league? I'm sorry, that's crossing the line and I think it is wrong.

Eh I don't mind Adidas taking over the contract. Just means I gotta get some jerseys before they start making them cause I don't like their fan apparel as much. On ads I dot really think there is anything that would make me completely stop watching sports. I love sports too much so stop paying attention because greedy owners want more money.

Eh I don't mind Adidas taking over the contract. Just means I gotta get some jerseys before they start making them cause I don't like their fan apparel as much. On ads I dot really think there is anything that would make me completely stop watching sports. I love sports too much so stop paying attention because greedy owners want more money.

I feel mostly the same but man, I think the idea of ads on the NHL's jerseys is brutal. After two Lockouts in ten years and now becoming a multi-billion dollar league that's about to get even richer cause of Expansion, I see this as a total slap in the face to all hockey fans far and wide.

Whoever made the point that this emboldens the counterfeiters to sell non-advertising sweaters had a great point. If there's one thing we've learned about the NHL, it's that the law of unintended consequences bites them in the ass every chance it gets.

That said, if if the league starts some Snitches For Sneetches programs where people get rewarded for ratting out people who don't have advertisements on their sweaters (no stars upon thars!), well, that's just a little too capitalist-dystopian for me.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Wow. The hyperbole is incredible any time the adidas name is mentioned. One would think it was the rapture.

We get it...adidas has put out some horrible designs in many other sports. It doesn't mean this is the case with hockey. A few NCAA schools already wear adidas (UMass for one, a Michigan for another), and the three stripes are only visible on the front of the collar. And just because a jersey has three stripes in its design does not mean it's the adidas brand.

Ads are coming. It's pretty much inevitable. But isn't it a bit of an overreaction to state you'll never buy merchandise again if the team wears ads? Look at the CFL right now. All teams wear sponsor patches. But if you go to the team shop, the jerseys do not have them. It's not the same as soccer...giant brands are now part of the design (for better or for worse). Small sponsor patches aren't on the jerseys you can buy yourself. Only on game-worn jerseys. Just like minor league hockey.

Cole was right...it's Chicken Little syndrome.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

How can you say with certainty that they won't be on civilian sweaters? Why bother placing the buy for a tiny ad if they can only be seen in close-ups on TV?

Just going by examples of the CFL and the AHL, that use patches.

Then again, the fan jerseys on the WNBA website do have sponsors. Those sponsor logos aren't patches, however.

So you're right...I don't know for certainty.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

How can you say with certainty that they won't be on civilian sweaters? Why bother placing the buy for a tiny ad if they can only be seen in close-ups on TV?

Because hundreds of thousands of people will be watching those close-ups. How often do you see people wear hockey jerseys in public (outside of games)? Sure, I might throw on my old Leafs sweater for a midnight Walmart run, but I can be quite confident that that's not where the bulk of the exposure the advertisers are paying for comes from.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

How often do you see people wear hockey jerseys in public (outside of games)?

Fairly often, you know, considering! I used to see people wearing Blackhawks sweaters around even in the dark ages. Of course, they said "Roenick" or "Chelios" or "Secord" on the back. Actually, that may have been Al Secord himself.

How often do you see people wear hockey jerseys in public (outside of games)?

Fairly often, you know, considering! I used to see people wearing Blackhawks sweaters around even in the dark ages. Of course, they said "Roenick" or "Chelios" or "Secord" on the back. Actually, that may have been Al Secord himself.

My Grandpa told me that Secord was a Templar Knight in the dark ages. XD Sorry, could not resist.

Ryan Lambert defends sweater ads in his usual all-knowing, copy-editing-resistant sneer. With this in mind, I've officially gone from not wanting ads on sweaters to leading an armed insurrection, if necessary, against ads on sweaters.

Archived