Adidas goes insane, writes Indiana huge check for unknown reasons

rams80

Deal lasts to 2024. Come everybody, try to get money out of Adidas while they are completely playing on tilt!

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2015/08/17/iu-adidas-extend-apparel-agreement/31887747/

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'd expect over time, Adidas will be concentrating on a smaller number of major schools so they may be willing to throw a lot more money at them. So far, they've gained Miami and ASU and lost Tennessee, Notre Dame, Cincinnati, and Northwestern. They will be losing Michigan and Wisconsin next.

makes sense to me, IU basketball is a huge brand.

They traded Michigan and Notre Dame football for a basketball program that has seen better days and a football program that has gone bowling once in the last two decades. This is a strategic blunder no matter how you slice it.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

They traded Michigan and Notre Dame football for a basketball program that has seen better days and a football program that has gone bowling once in the last two decades. This is a strategic blunder no matter how you slice it.

All the college rights deals are going up. Its just a reflection of the changing cost of doing business with colleges. I don't think you'll see too many power 5 conference contacts be below $4 or 5 million a year anymore. Cincinnati reportedly just got $5 million from UA for example and they play in whatever the remains of the Big East is called.

All the college rights deals are going up. Its just a reflection of the changing cost of doing business with colleges. I don't think you'll see too many power 5 conference contacts be below $4 or 5 million a year anymore. Cincinnati reportedly just got $5 million from UA for example and they play in whatever the remains of the Big East is called.

The answer we were looking for was the American Athletic Conference. But it's amazing that a small program, albeit an up and coming program, like Cincinnati can get a sum of money like that.

doesn't matter. still a huge BRAND

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Exactly. Notre Dame football hasn't won a title in decades, yet our last two deals have been the largest in the nation at the time they were signed. If the brand is strong the merch will sell and the supplier will get big time exposure, making it worth the cost.

Is it though? I don't see nearly the amount of Indiana stuff around as I do for Notre Dame or Michigan.
Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Is it though? I don't see nearly the amount of Indiana stuff around as I do for Notre Dame or Michigan.

Yes, it absolutely is. They may not be winning titles these days but the Hoosiers are college basketball. Their look is so simple yet extremely recognizable. Brandon is right, huge brand.

Yes, it absolutely is. They may not be winning titles these days but the Hoosiers are college basketball. Their look is so simple yet extremely recognizable. Brandon is right, huge brand.

I understand their place in college basketball. I just don't think it translates that much to merchandise sales. I haven't seen numbers so this is just what I've noticed, but I wouldn't say that IU is close to the same level of being a huge brand like Notre Dame or Michigan.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

The Hoosiers aren't college basketball (there are about 10-12 schools with a larger CBB pedigree) and the brand has devalued ever since Bob Knight left.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I am assuming Adidas knows the writing is on the wall. They lost Michigan and are going to lose Wisconsin. I'm sure they have a suspicion that Nebraska won't be far behind. I'm sure Indiana said they will be moving on to either UnderArmor or Nike... and Adidas caved. I don't see how any of the big 3 uniform providers could stay viable in college sportswear if they don't have at least 1 school in each of the major 5 conferences. Nebraska may have told Adidas they are done once their contract is up. So Adidas panicked and paid the Hoosiers a ridiculous amount. It would make sense if it was Michigan/Michigan State/Ohio State/Penn State/Nebraska... schools with rich heritage and major national support... but its Indiana... the school that has all but been forgotten by the B1G.

Good for Indiana... or bad for Indiana... depends how you look at it.

Only if you're interested in the reversible-depending-on-season-and-fortune Indiana/Notre Dame fanwear market. Which you can't control because you just lost the Papists.

Today, we are all otaku.

they were a huge BRAND at one time but that's brand's value has eroded significantly over the last two decades...outside of the state, indiana doesn't hold much interest anymore.

lastly having a huge BRAND doesn't mean :censored: if you can't monetize it to a profit...since we don't know what adi's ROI will be until after the contract is over, the safe bet to say that it's very tough to tell if this is a good or bad move.

reebok was a huge BRAND once and look at them now once adidas acquired them.

Adidas sees the program as an investment, not a purchase... it is a marketable and expandable asset that will gain value and prestige under the Adidas brand. I think some of you are fundamentally underestimating the marketing power of one of the most notable sports apparel companies on earth backing a big-name collegiate program... the Hoosier name is extremely marketable on a national stage.

Is this the same terrible Indiana that best SEC East Champ Mizzou?

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived