Sign in to follow this  
rams80

Adidas goes insane, writes Indiana huge check for unknown reasons

makes sense to me, IU basketball is a huge brand.

They traded Michigan and Notre Dame football for a basketball program that has seen better days and a football program that has gone bowling once in the last two decades. This is a strategic blunder no matter how you slice it.

doesn't matter. still a huge BRAND

Is it though? I don't see nearly the amount of Indiana stuff around as I do for Notre Dame or Michigan.

Yes, it absolutely is. They may not be winning titles these days but the Hoosiers are college basketball. Their look is so simple yet extremely recognizable. Brandon is right, huge brand.

lastly having a huge BRAND doesn't mean :censored: if you can't monetize it to a profit...since we don't know what adi's ROI will be until after the contract is over, the safe bet to say that it's very tough to tell if this is a good or bad move.

of course, but they "bought" IU basketball (definitely not concerned with selling Alumni and football tees) at near $60M so that's what it's worth at this point and it's a big number. that over 8 years is pretty competitive with other contracts with national powerhouse brands.

Adidas sees the program as an investment, not a purchase... it is a marketable and expandable asset that will gain value and prestige under the Adidas brand. I think some of you are fundamentally underestimating the marketing power of one of the most notable sports apparel companies on earth backing a big-name collegiate program... the Hoosier name is extremely marketable on a national stage.

Spoken like someone with an MBA or a marketing degree from a third-rate institution. You need a few more vapid buzzwords to hit peak marketing lingo and brandicide though.

makes sense to me, IU basketball is a huge brand.

They traded Michigan and Notre Dame football for a basketball program that has seen better days and a football program that has gone bowling once in the last two decades. This is a strategic blunder no matter how you slice it.

doesn't matter. still a huge BRAND

Is it though? I don't see nearly the amount of Indiana stuff around as I do for Notre Dame or Michigan.
Yes, it absolutely is. They may not be winning titles these days but the Hoosiers are college basketball. Their look is so simple yet extremely recognizable. Brandon is right, huge brand.

lastly having a huge BRAND doesn't mean :censored: if you can't monetize it to a profit...since we don't know what adi's ROI will be until after the contract is over, the safe bet to say that it's very tough to tell if this is a good or bad move.

of course, but they "bought" IU basketball (definitely not concerned with selling Alumni and football tees) at near $60M so that's what it's worth at this point and it's a big number. that over 8 years is pretty competitive with other contracts with national powerhouse brands.

And the money is not nearly there for basketball on the whole. Which doesn't seem to be registering with some here.

Plenty of people whose programs would kill to be where Indiana's is even on the downslope.