Project Unity - Bauer Hockey NHL Redesign - Columbus Blue Jackets Alternate

ieatstaples

Very good job here, but the numbers look a little thin to me. Maybe it's because I'm used to the blues having thick numbers, but I think it would look even better if you thickened the numbers. Good job though, what an awesome series.

spacer.png

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

79ILK9t.png

Tampa Bay really gave me a hard time. I had the logo done from a previous unreleased concept (with a few adjustments) but the question was do I go back to black, or do I try to improve on Yzerman's minimalist look. You guys won't believe the number of different versions I came up with during the design process. At least I'll have a few to choose from when I start on thirds. Anyways, what I went with is something very similar to the Lightning's original look and also using the same blue, but with some changes to the arms to try to incorporate both eras (let's forget about those awful templated Edge jerseys). Also, victory stripes!

rMFwTKe.png

5aiktrK.png

These are very nice all around.

The only real thing I'd say is I'd actually re-think some of the sponsor choices.

I noted in many cases the sponsor on the jerseys is the sponsor of the arena (Barclays for the Isles, Honda for the Ducks etc. etc.)

But, in some cases, if not many, the sponsor of the Arena really has very little to do with the team, especially when talking about arena's with 2-3-4 etc. teams that call them home. In some of these cases, there may be a more appropriate "sponsor" than the one chosen

S80-81-82-83_zpspmeyx5vh.png

200px-Nassau_Coliseum_logo.jpg

Love that TB look. Starting to get to a Lighting logo I think actually works! Never liked their old logos, but the current Incredibles logo doesn't work for a hockey team. Giving it some bulk has really done them justice here.

I dig the new jersey quite a bit as well. I think it'd look even better if you tried squared off shoulders a la Stars and a bulkier italicized font should look great on there. Good work getting back to a unique TB Lighting look.

These are very nice all around.

The only real thing I'd say is I'd actually re-think some of the sponsor choices.

I noted in many cases the sponsor on the jerseys is the sponsor of the arena (Barclays for the Isles, Honda for the Ducks etc. etc.)

But, in some cases, if not many, the sponsor of the Arena really has very little to do with the team, especially when talking about arena's with 2-3-4 etc. teams that call them home. In some of these cases, there may be a more appropriate "sponsor" than the one chosen

I've talked a little about it before and I agree with you. For the most part, I try to deviate away from simply using the arena's sponsors and go for something more relevant to the team. What I usually do is I try to look up the team's partnered sponsors page and pick a significant company from there. If they don't have that page, I look at the team's on ice ads. If none of them make sense, I'll try to see if the team has ads on their practice jersey (that's why I used the McD patch instead of a Staples one for LA). If all else fails, I'll resort to using the arena sponsor. I'm trying to mix up the ads and I don't think I've done a horrible job, but it's definitely a concern of mine.

TsOmd8C.png

This one may look a tad bit familiar. I submitted this to Icethetics a couple years ago and I thought it was generally well received. I've always loved the detailed leaf logo. It's traditional and it's a classic. The design is directly inspired by Toronto's jerseys from 1927.

7VH9hMQ.png

eUB9ySk.png

I feel like the Leafs will be the team to try all blue ads on the blue jersey, and all white ads on the white. Kinda like the whole name plate debate in the 70's. ^_^

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

The 35 point leaf should be Toronto's primary IMO. I love seeing it on concepts. That said, I'd rather only see one set of stripes on the arm, and thicken both them and the hem to match. Not sure Toronto needs a yoke either.

Great job on Tampa. Colour scheme back to where it should be, and I like the logo you've made. The number font feels a little off. Maybe it just needs an outline, or a little thickening, or try a different one. Not sure.

qtOnrJr.png

LA5gd8I.png

I'm in the majority that really love the stick-in-the-rink logo. I think it's a classic logo, and nothing says 'Canucks' more than the stick-in-the-rink logo. The orca is getting dated, and I'm firmly against using the Johnny Canuck logo as a primary. With that said, I really love their original look from 1970, so this concept was a no brainer.

GvmT7aw.png

N7dufhV.png

TB: I'm not feeling the Tampa jerseys. I'm all for returning black to the colour scheme, but the splitting of the background colour in the circle is a little cartoony. I would try substituting white for silver/grey in some areas of the jerseys. The striping pattern is good, but seems more a fit for a traditional team, not a 90's expansion.

Tor: Can't mess too much with a classic. I would consider the baseball style TML initials for the shoulder patch.

Van: Good, though I'm on the other side of the stick-in-rink logo; it's too generic for me; could be any team.

3KOjCqJ.png

I took a very similar approach to Washington like I did with other older teams; I wanted to update a classic look to today's era. Taking inspiration from the Capitals' original jerseys in 1974, I tried to take the best of both eras and create something new but familiar. It was hard to incorporate the stars without it looking too tacky, so I kept it simple. I think the end result is a bold jersey that represents the team well.

e8TWU5N.png

do73jXh.png

I'm glad you avoided stars as they quickly make things tacky like you said. It's almost too bad Columbus uses the single star at the cuffs cuz that'd be a nice solution.

I always get torn with the Caps as I feel they wear a modern jersey well.

Archived