kw11333

Teams In The Wrong Stadium

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/703/22384793036_af5be6fda1_o.jpg

Before the thunderbears they were actually an awesome color scheme and name...Texas Terror

Ummm what does that have to do with this thread? I do agree Texas Terror was a way better looking name and package than Houston Thunderbears. WTF is a Thunderbear.

Haha earlier in the thread they brought up the thunderbears and about the different places they played their final year and someone was bashing the name and colors. It seemed no one knew of the Texas terror and that for some reason they changed from the terror to thunderbears. i must have forgot to quote that conversation I apologize.

2445869_sd_sp_preps_petcohoopsnc_018_r90

College Basketball at Petco Park

I don't know if this counts, but the UMass football team played their entire 2012-13 "home" schedules at Gillette Stadium due to McGuirk Alumni Stadium being renovated. It might not count because they've been using Gillette as an alternate or neutral field since 2010 or so.

Snowboarding at Fenway

12715901_10154640569729552_9017887901365

Surprised It has not been Mentioned yet but seeing the Blue Jays play Spring Training games in Montreal at Olympic Stadium in front of a sell out crowd with the old Montreal wordmark behind home plate was pretty weird and awesome at the same time, especially since I can remember going to Expos games when there wasn't 7,000 fans in the building. I attended both games this year vs the Red Sox and over the two games over 102,000 people where in attendance.

IMG_1527.JPG

^ Regarding the Jays playing in Montreal: It's nice that they drew nice-sized crowds, but they should play at least one or two regular season series in Montreal, sort of as a peace offering for the baseball fans of Montreal. I'd love to see it happen, personally.

On 8/25/2015 at 1:11 PM, ltjets21 said:

1932_Championship-Action.jpg

1932 NFL playoff game Bears vs Portsmouth Spartans moved to Chicago Stadium due to blizzard in chicago.. Played on 80 yards of dirt, teams would receive 20 yard penalty after crossing midfield..

One thing I've never understood about their "20 yard penalty" rule was this: What if, for example, the Bears got the ball on their own 20 yard line, normally 80 yards to go, and broke free on the first play from scrimmage and ran all the way to the endzone? Do they get a touchdown? Do they place the ball on Portsmouth's 20? Do they call the play dead as soon as the ballcarrier crosses midfield?

I know by the rules set forth it doesn't fit/count, but I think the Islanders look out of place playing in the Barclay's Center.

The seating in that place was obviously designed for Basketball without a thought of Hockey being a full time tenant.

The one end seems like it has the oddest sight lines for a modern indoor arena.

1 hour ago, MC Buffalo said:

I know by the rules set forth it doesn't fit/count, but I think the Islanders look out of place playing in the Barclay's Center.

The seating in that place was obviously designed for Basketball without a thought of Hockey being a full time tenant.

The one end seems like it has the oddest sight lines for a modern indoor arena.

Which is why there are reports they may look to jump back to Uniondale at a later date.

It seems odd that a New York franchise would have such difficulty getting funding and/or private investments for a new Arena right near their old one. If cities in small markets can make it work how did "The Lighthouse Project" at the location of the current Nassau Coliseum fall apart?

I'm not tuned into that whole situation, but it seems like the owner, Wang, really has tried hard to get an arena near the old one.

ESPN could do another 30 for 30 on the never ending battle to get a new Arena for the Islanders as a follow up to the John Spano ownership one. Which is one of the more entertaining in what has been a great series of documentaries.

Packers vs. Redskins preseason action...from Camp Randall Stadium in Madison, WI.

Back in the day, the Badgers' home would host 1 Packer preseason game per year...a practice long since discontinued.

1105000040-l.jpg

2 hours ago, The Thrill said:

Packers vs. Redskins preseason action...from Camp Randall Stadium in Madison, WI.

Back in the day, the Badgers' home would host 1 Packer preseason game per year...a practice long since discontinued.

1105000040-l.jpg

I like that they did that. Playing preseason games in close-by college venues never hurt anyone. Plenty teams could do it. Falcons at Bobby-Dodd, Niners at Stanford Stadium, etc.

7 hours ago, Griffinmarlins said:

I like that they did that. Playing preseason games in close-by college venues never hurt anyone. Plenty teams could do it. Falcons at Bobby-Dodd, Niners at Stanford Stadium, etc.

I feel like just playing in a college stadium is one thing, but growing a fan base to an in-state college town. Falcons in Athens or Saints in Baton Rouge would be a better comparison

In a reversal of that trend, Florida State played their sprig game at the Citrus Bowl a few weekends ago

12 hours ago, raysox said:

I feel like just playing in a college stadium is one thing, but growing a fan base to an in-state college town. Falcons in Athens or Saints in Baton Rouge would be a better comparison

In a reversal of that trend, Florida State played their sprig game at the Citrus Bowl a few weekends ago

FSU played in Orlando due to renovations at Doak.

I remember the Bucs and Chiefs playing a preseason game at the University of Oklahoma in the late 90s..

On 4/19/2016 at 0:55 PM, MC Buffalo said:

It seems odd that a New York franchise would have such difficulty getting funding and/or private investments for a new Arena right near their old one. If cities in small markets can make it work how did "The Lighthouse Project" at the location of the current Nassau Coliseum fall apart?

I'm not tuned into that whole situation, but it seems like the owner, Wang, really has tried hard to get an arena near the old one.

ESPN could do another 30 for 30 on the never ending battle to get a new Arena for the Islanders as a follow up to the John Spano ownership one. Which is one of the more entertaining in what has been a great series of documentaries.

In the past 10 years there have been 3 brand spanking new basketball/hockey arenas within 15 miles of Nassau..  Prudential, Barclays, and the $1B renovated MSG.  There is also the very serviceable Izod center.   Nassau is a subburban county, so there really isnt a way to get taxpayer funding for it.  They can't get NYC taxes to pay for it.  So it would have to be Charles Wang who is rich but not privately-pay-for-a-$1B-arena rich. And the team isn't premier enough like the Rangers to justify it.   Honestly i know people on Long Island are kinda upset, but the move to Brooklyn makes a TON of sense,  Its only a little further train ride from Nassau but it also opens up a big market in Brooklyn and Queens and also downtown Manhattan are all short train rides away.    The only downside is the stadium layout - if they weren't so delayed in figuring out their plan they could have build the arena together so it worked for bball and hockey.   But honestly its fine.. the hockey layout is a quirk of the stadium, but its not the embarrassment i think people are making it out to be.  Certainly still doesn't justify ANOTHER 1B stadium a few miles away especially in a suburban area.

Right now you have 3 brand new arenas in the area and 2 usable arenas in Izod and Nassau (perfectly fine for concerts and disney on ice etc even if they arent new enough for a major sports team)  So it would be really hard to see someone spending so much for a new one.   Even the stories I'm hearing about renovating Nassau seems far fetched to me.

For several years, the Yankees played their last couple of spring-training games at the Superdome.  Here is Reggie Jackson in 1980 or 1981:

reggie-superdome.jpg

58 minutes ago, goforbroke said:

In the past 10 years there have been 3 brand spanking new basketball/hockey arenas within 15 miles of Nassau..  Prudential, Barclays, and the $1B renovated MSG.  There is also the very serviceable Izod center.   Nassau is a subburban county, so there really isnt a way to get taxpayer funding for it.  They can't get NYC taxes to pay for it.  So it would have to be Charles Wang who is rich but not privately-pay-for-a-$1B-arena rich. And the team isn't premier enough like the Rangers to justify it.   Honestly i know people on Long Island are kinda upset, but the move to Brooklyn makes a TON of sense,  Its only a little further train ride from Nassau but it also opens up a big market in Brooklyn and Queens and also downtown Manhattan are all short train rides away.    The only downside is the stadium layout - if they weren't so delayed in figuring out their plan they could have build the arena together so it worked for bball and hockey.   But honestly its fine.. the hockey layout is a quirk of the stadium, but its not the embarrassment i think people are making it out to be.  Certainly still doesn't justify ANOTHER 1B stadium a few miles away especially in a suburban area.

Right now you have 3 brand new arenas in the area and 2 usable arenas in Izod and Nassau (perfectly fine for concerts and disney on ice etc even if they arent new enough for a major sports team)  So it would be really hard to see someone spending so much for a new one.   Even the stories I'm hearing about renovating Nassau seems far fetched to me.

The owners of the Barclays Center also own the Nassau Coliseum, and are indeed renovating it.  When it's done, the Nets' D-League team will move in there; until then, the Long Island Nets will share the Barclays Center.  

While I am not up on the Islanders' long-range plans, I assume that they'll want to move back into the renovated Coliseum when it's done.