Teams In The Wrong Stadium

kw11333

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

For several years, the Yankees played their last couple of spring-training games at the Superdome.  Here is Reggie Jackson in 1980 or 1981:

reggie-superdome.jpg

That may partially explain why there are a large number of Yankee fans in New Orleans 

On 4/21/2016 at 4:47 PM, cajunaggie08 said:

That may partially explain why there are a large number of Yankee fans in New Orleans 

There apparently were, in the 70's, some (very) idle rumors of the Yankees talking to New Orleans about a potential relocation right after Steinbrenner bought the team, presumably to get the city to pay for a Yankee Stadium renovation. Whether any talks every happened or not is probably a matter of historical speculation at this point, but NOLA was definitely the relocation threat of choice back in the 70's and 80's for quite a few teams. I doubt the Yanks ever really considered it though.

In any event, the Yanks do have some ties to New Orleans. They trained there in the early 20s, right when Babe Ruth joined the team, Ron Guidry is famously from Louisiana, they did hold some Spring Training games in the Superdome when New Orleans was trying to attract an ML team, etc.

On 4/19/2016 at 10:59 AM, MC Buffalo said:

I know by the rules set forth it doesn't fit/count, but I think the Islanders look out of place playing in the Barclay's Center.

The seating in that place was obviously designed for Basketball without a thought of Hockey being a full time tenant.

The one end seems like it has the oddest sight lines for a modern indoor arena.

It reminds me a lot of when the Coyotes first started at America West

2IA3b.png

I like to think the SUV is a huge Islanders fan and bought a full season ticket package. 

I wish they'd put seats there instead, but the car advertisement probably brings in more revenue.

PvO6ZWJ.png

11 hours ago, Cujo said:

I don't mind the Islanders playing off the island -- but to have a freaking SUV parked rinkside is wrong in any arena. Smgdh.

nyi_suv.png

They're technically still on the island. Just on a part of it that doesn't really identify itself as being on the island.

17 hours ago, Cujo said:

I don't mind the Islanders playing off the island -- but to have a freaking SUV parked rinkside is wrong in any arena. Smgdh.

nyi_suv.png

Just looks weird to have the SUV there like that. If only they'd made Barclays Center more hockey-friendly....

UBwef0L.png

27 minutes ago, Guy with Machete said:

Thank god somebody put a circle around that SUV, otherwise I might have missed it.

You're welcome! I do it for some of our more challenged members. :)

6uXNWAo.png

On April 21, 2016 at 2:22 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

For several years, the Yankees played their last couple of spring-training games at the Superdome.  Here is Reggie Jackson in 1980 or 1981:

reggie-superdome.jpg

The owners of the Barclays Center also own the Nassau Coliseum, and are indeed renovating it.  When it's done, the Nets' D-League team will move in there; until then, the Long Island Nets will share the Barclays Center.  

While I am not up on the Islanders' long-range plans, I assume that they'll want to move back into the renovated Coliseum when it's done.

Ur right that Renovations are further along than I realized, but the new design only has 13,000 seats.   I don't think u can have an NHL team with that size stadium.. (That might even be the basketball layout hockey may be less).   They are planning to have 6 islanders games a year there though so we'll see. 

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

3 hours ago, ltjets21 said:

May not be the right place to ask this but since it's a stadium question I thought I'd ask.. Has anyone seen the Raiders Vegas stadium renderings? I have looked and have not found anything but interior pictures.

http://m.reviewjournal.com/business/stadium

Majestic Realty is part of this Las Vegas stadium attempt too, like they were in 2011 and 2013 with the UNLV Now project. The stadium today is the same Dan Meis design as what was presented to the legislature and the public in 2013.

20 minutes ago, insert name said:

The Islanders in Brooklyn just feels wrong on so many levels. 

Still odd that the loudest that stadium has been is during an Islanders game.

NYI fans followed their team there, NJ Nets fans did not (obvious reasons) 

Archived