Teams In The Wrong Stadium

kw11333

On 3/9/2017 at 9:49 PM, dont care said:

Weird but not surprising that they kept the Madison square garden logos on the court

They actually brought the court over from MSG, which was occupied by the 2004 Republican National Convention.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lawrence Stadium in Portsmouth VA was once a Triple-A minor league park, but now is used only for football. (Notice the infield is grown over.) It apparently is actually two stadiums with one field, as the stands for the respective sports are not shared.

FDL_-_Aerial_Far_640T.jpg

CK3ZP8E.jpg

• 1 month later...

Dunno if one ever mentioned that San Antonio Spurs played in Alamodome before the AT&T Center was built? I mean I have been there once and only half of that stadium was being used to this game....

spacer.png

Alamo%2BBowl_sig.png

Liberty Bowl_sig.png

FEAR THE FROG! LET'S GO TCU!!

On 7/15/2019 at 8:59 AM, kiwi_canadian said:

How about Rugby United New York playing in rugby in a baseball stadium? They play their home games at MCU Park on Coney Island.

Keith-Killeen-Ross-Deacon-ball-carrier.j

le-match-a-eu-lieu-dans-un-petit-stade-d

Austin plays at Dell Diamond in Round Rock. Mexican Liga MX teams have had friendlies there as well. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 8/20/2019 at 9:37 PM, JMtexan09 said:

Dunno if one ever mentioned that San Antonio Spurs played in Alamodome before the AT&T Center was built? I mean I have been there once and only half of that stadium was being used to this game....

spacer.png

The Alamodome was their home stadium from 1992 to 2003. I wouldn't consider it to be a temporary setup. The only time the whole stadium is ever used for basketball is the Final Four, otherwise it make no sense to use that setup. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

This is more of a visiting team in the wrong stadium, but in 2004 the Montreal Expos final season before relocating coincided with the Phillies moving to Citizens Band Park. CBP is also the oldest stadium in the NL East and the only current one where the Expos played. 

1 hour ago, Walter Sobchak said:

This is more of a visiting team in the wrong stadium, but in 2004 the Montreal Expos final season before relocating coincided with the Phillies moving to Citizens Band Park. CBP is also the oldest stadium in the NL East and the only current one where the Expos played. 

The Expos played at Petco Park too, which is surprising.

I think visiting team, wrong stadium can be pretty interesting.

The Houston Texans played at Veterans Stadium, which seems bizarre to me.spacer.png

Ravens playing at the Astrodome feels equally weird.

The Blue Jackets and Wild played at Reunion Arena.

The Predators played at the Great Western Forum and McNichols Sports Arena and they might’ve played at Maple Leaf Gardens and Greensboro Coliseum.

The Hurricanes played at Miami Arena.

The Coyotes might have played at the Capitol Center.

The Avalanche might have played at the Montreal Forum, Ottawa Civic Centre, Buffalo Memorial Auditorium, and the Spectrum.

The Mighty Ducks played at Chicago Stadium and St. Louis Arena.  The Panthers might have too.

The Thrashers played at Consol Energy Center.

The Whalers played at Bell Centre, Canadian Tire Centre, KeyBank Centre, Wells Fargo Center, and Amalie Arena (all of which had different names at the time).

The Jets played at Rogers Arena and might have played at TD Garden (both also had different names).

The Nordiques might have played at United Center and Kiel Center (now Enterprise Center).

The Nationals played at Busch Memorial Stadium.

The Devil Rays played at the Kingdome.  The Diamondbacks might have played there too.

The Kansas City A’s played at Anaheim Stadium.

On 8/24/2015 at 11:04 PM, kw11333 said:

649x350_faf4.jpg

Soccer at Fenway. It actually works better than Yankee Stadium.

If the Sox were ever open to it, the Revs should move in until they can find a new stadium. Gillette is too big and too far away for most people in Boston

Have they ever explored the possibility of playing at BC?  Or even UConn?  They're both fairly modern facilities (BC after renovation), but wouldn't be so cavernous that they could actually cultivate some sort of atmosphere.

1 hour ago, NicDB said:

Have they ever explored the possibility of playing at BC?  Or even UConn?  They're both fairly modern facilities (BC after renovation), but wouldn't be so cavernous that they could actually cultivate some sort of atmosphere.

BC would want the majority of the revenue.

UConn doesn't even play on campus, they play football in Hartford, 25 miles away.  Foxboro to Hartford is 100 miles.

Foxboro is basically equidistant to/from Providence as it is to Boston.

Providence just has Brown Stadium....

e0dUjME.png

Yea, lots of revenue with that.  Kraft also is a Trustee at BC, so if a deal would be good for both of them, he would've done it. 

I knew UConn played in Hartford, but I thought Foxboro was equidistant from there and Boston. Frankly, knowing Kraft has BC connections makes it even more confounding that they won't play there. Football is the only sport you can play essentially in the middle of nowhere and still expect to draw a crowd.

5 hours ago, NicDB said:

I knew UConn played in Hartford, but I thought Foxboro was equidistant from there and Boston. Frankly, knowing Kraft has BC connections makes it even more confounding that they won't play there. Football is the only sport you can play essentially in the middle of nowhere and still expect to draw a crowd.

Kraft owns his stadium, he doesn’t have to pay anyone to use it. He makes more money bringing in the small amount of fans he does to revs games than he would if he had to pay rent to use BC’s stadium. There is also no guarantee it would bring in more fans. New England just isn’t big on soccer. Particularly MLS even when the revs were good for a stretch of 4 years or so making the conference and league finals no one cared. 

4 hours ago, dont care said:

Kraft owns his stadium, he doesn’t have to pay anyone to use it. He makes more money bringing in the small amount of fans he does to revs games than he would if he had to pay rent to use BC’s stadium. There is also no guarantee it would bring in more fans. New England just isn’t big on soccer. Particularly MLS even when the revs were good for a stretch of 4 years or so making the conference and league finals no one cared. 

I'd say the issue isn't the area of New England, it's that the Revs haven't shown tjat they care to even try.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

20 minutes ago, dont care said:

No sure how you can say that when the had a good 4 year stretch and people still didn’t care.

Because people look how little attention the team has gotten from the owner. Even good runs will be affected by horrible ownership. Look at Columbus. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived