Teams In The Wrong Stadium

kw11333

Before the Kings moved into the Forum, they played at their first 2 games at the Long Beach Sports Arena. This picture is from their 2nd game there, also the 2nd in franchise history. They also played 14 games at the LA Sports Arena, but I could not find any good pictures.

kingsLBARENA.jpg?w=474

Wow, great find!

ravens_first_game_1395348350498_3527345_

The Ravens played at Memorial Stadium (which was home to the Orioles as well) for their first two seasons.

The Orioles left in 1993 for Camden Yards.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cubs were the road team against the Astros at Miller. My memory could be off but I think I recall people thinking Houston wore gray pants as a protest because they had to play the Cubs so close to Chicago.

You are correct sir!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=280914118

To make matters worse was that the Astros were fighting for a playoff spot with the Brewers at this time. Selig's ties to the Brewers are well known.

At the end of the 1995 season, the Houston Oilers announced they would begin playing in Nashville in 1998. This created a situation where there would be 2 lame duck seasons in Houston. Attendance was so bad in 1996 that the Oilers were let out of their lease early and played the 1997 season at the Liberty Bowl Stadium in Memphis as their stadium wasn't complete in Nashville and the Oilers' owner felt Vanderbilt's stadium was too small.

7582764.jpg

Attendance was terrible in Memphis as well so they played the 1998 season in Vanderbilt Stadium in Nashville

649x350_faf4.jpg

Soccer at Fenway. It actually works better than Yankee Stadium.

If the Sox were ever open to it, the Revs should move in until they can find a new stadium. Gillette is too big and too far away for most people in Boston

Sight lines at the corners would still be a big issue. The Revs need to be put somewhere other than Foxborough though and I can't believe that MLS hasn't pressed the issue like they have with DC and Miami.

Why would Robert Kraft take a team he owns out of a stadium he owns?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

649x350_faf4.jpg

If the Sox were ever open to it, the Revs should move in until they can find a new stadium. Gillette is too big and too far away for most people in Boston

Sight lines at the corners would still be a big issue. The Revs need to be put somewhere other than Foxborough though and I can't believe that MLS hasn't pressed the issue like they have with DC and Miami.

The only reason he would is because MLS wants the team in a soccer specific stadium. The fact he owns them is probably the only reason the league hasn't leaned on him to get a deal done as much as they've repeatedly done with DC united and Beckham's Miami FC.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2014: Cal hosts Oregon at Levi's Stadium

images_zps63dgngsn.jpg

1985: SMU hosts Texas at Texas Stadium

2011: Cal hosts Fresno State at Candlestick

We actually played an entire season at AT&T Park due to stadium renovations at Memorial Stadium:

Early games had the diamond, later it was barely visible

maxresdefault.jpg

A1799.jpg

Stadium now looks beautiful

cal-memorial-stadium-project-showcase-he

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

The CFL's Hamilton Tiger-Cats played an entire season at the University of Guelph while waiting for Tim Horton's Field to be built.

10078433946_668edbe3cf_b.jpg

Also, pictured Ticat is Luke Tasker, Steve Tasker's son.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

They used the end zone, not the goalposts. They could still score there just not kick PA's and FG's

You're half correct. A day before the game when the teams got to see the field, somebody realized that the back of the endzone in right field was about two feet away from the wall. After the schools talked about it between themselves and the NCAA, they decided that both teams would advance towards the west endzone (home plate). All offense would go one direction and the teams would switch sides after punts or scores.

The only way to score in the east endzone was to return a punt or a defensive score. Northwestern did end up returning an INT for a touchdown in the east endzone.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Timberwovles played their inaugural season at the Metrodome. They broke the all-time attendance record (since broken by the Raptors).

I attended the first regular-season home game. I think I was roughly under that Canadian flag. There were a TON of bad seats.

ows_138816656157288.jpg?w=525

That looks awful. I love going to baseball games, but one of the things about those games and football is that you can "get lost" in the atmosphere and miss plays. There's so much noise and so much going on, sometimes you miss a pitch or don't see the snap of the ball. But being that far away from the action, at a *basketball* game, when there's nothing but empty seats in front of you and to the right, I imagine half the people in those seats fell asleep. I can't imagine paying to be that removed from the action.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Lakers hosting a playoff game against the Jazz (I think) in Las Vegas due to the riots in LA...

And that previous picture of the battleship basketball game is EPIC.

Can't find pictures. But, it was the Lakers and Trail Blazers that played in Las Vegas while the Clippers and Jazz played in Anaheim in the Convention Center (pre-Pond days)

649x350_faf4.jpg

The only reason he would is because MLS wants the team in a soccer specific stadium. The fact he owns them is probably the only reason the league hasn't leaned on him to get a deal done as much as they've repeatedly done with DC united and Beckham's Miami FC.

MLS can want the moon, but I'm not sure MLS will ever have the authority to tell an owner of an MLS team playing in an owner-owned NFL stadium to build a soccer-only stadium. DC and Miami aren't quite the same situation.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The Northwestern/Illinois game at Wrigley Field was one of the most interesting games I've ever watched. The novelty of both teams going the same direction was pretty awesome. I remember GameDay even did a segment showing how the goose neck of the goal post in the right field endzone was cut off and bolted to the bricks.

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

Notre Dame vs Northwestern at Wrigley.

20wrigley2-articleLarge-v3.jpg

It was actually Northwestern hosting Illinois at Wrigley. I was there. It was awful and pathetic (and I'm not just talking about NU's defensive effort)

BUT personal injury attorneys and the pussies from NU's athletic department deemed the bleacher seats too close to the back of the end zone, both teams played offense in the same direction. I was seated near midfield but so it wasn;t a bad view but I feel bad for folks who had to watch the entire game from 50+ yards away.

So, this is likely the last ever football game that will ever be played at Wrigley.

it's a shame the engineering whizzes from NU + UofI couldn't have figured out a proper configuration geometry to accomodate the smallish "friendly confines"

Archived