Teams In The Wrong Stadium

kw11333

Its funny when people mentioned the Bears at Memorial Stadium, I couldn't imagine it'd be that hard to find an image. I mean it wasn't that long ago.

Its impossible to find any images where you can tell its Memorial Stadium and it looks any different than you're average Illinois game.

I thought the exact same thing, and had the same trouble finding a good pic. Also, I went to my first Bears game that season, against the Eagles. Definitely a different experience.

Nebraska played a home game in South Bend, Indiana in 2000.

bigpix01.jpg

The Domers didn't show up and gave up home field advantage.

Ugh, don't remind me of that travesty :mad:

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its funny when people mentioned the Bears at Memorial Stadium, I couldn't imagine it'd be that hard to find an image. I mean it wasn't that long ago.

Its impossible to find any images where you can tell its Memorial Stadium and it looks any different than you're average Illinois game.

That's because the Bears used the Illinois endzone design for the entire season. It's no wonder nobody can tell the difference, but you can see they added a display tarp for the Bears in one of the end zones. I specifically remember seeing Packers/Bears on MNF and it was in Madden 2003 aswell..

SP_NFL_020_LG.jpg

bears.jpg

02-02.jpg

bSLCtu2.png

During the 2007 NLL season, the Rochester Knighthawks were the top seed in the league. When they got to the championship, there was a scheduling conflict at the Blue Cross Arena. So they played the championship in Glendale, Arizona where the opposing Arizona Sting played. The Knighthawks won 13-11.

61063585_c254f5ef7b_z.jpg

During the 1950 Stanley Cup Finals, The New York Rangers had to play their homes games at Maple Leaf Garden because of a scheduling conflict at Madison Square Garden with Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus. Games 2 and 3 were played there and the other 5 games were played at the Olympia in Detroit. The Red Wings won in seven games.

I thought the exact same thing, and had the same trouble finding a good pic. Also, I went to my first Bears game that season, against the Eagles. Definitely a different experience.

Bears%20Patriots.jpg

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Bears%20Patriots.jpg

Patriots won that game 33-30. The patriot came back from 21 points down in the third quarter.

Nebraska played a home game in South Bend, Indiana in 2000.

bigpix01.jpg

The Domers didn't show up and gave up home field advantage.

Ugh, don't remind me of that travesty :mad:

At the time, Memorial Stadium was actually bigger that Soldier field. Today, Soldier Field is only slightly bigger than Memorial Stadium. Both of them around 60,000.

The Toronto Argonauts played their Home opener at Shell Stadium in Fort MacMurray, Alberta--much closer to Edmonton--their opponent.

http://www.cfl.ca/video/index/id/111857

My friend who lived in Fort Mac at the time could've went but decided "eh don't feel like it". I don't get people sometimes.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

It's too bad the Cubs and/or NFL didn't let the Bears play the 2002 season at Wrigley Field. If you played four of the first five on the road with a bye in week 6 and the first home game in Champaign or Evanston, you could have gotten seven games in at Wrigley and not made everyone drive all the way down to Champaign all year. Oh well, that Bears team wasn't worth the effort anyway.

bears-2-99.jpg

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Im pretty sure this picture was at Memorial Stadium. I remember watching that game and hating the Bears in blue jerseys and blue pants and white socks.

2002PACKERS-BearsGreen.jpg

some jerseys and pants were just never meant to be worn together. You'd could say it's a team in a wrong uniform.

PvO6ZWJ.png

It's too bad the Cubs and/or NFL didn't let the Bears play the 2002 season at Wrigley Field. If you played four of the first five on the road with a bye in week 6 and the first home game in Champaign or Evanston, you could have gotten seven games in at Wrigley and not made everyone drive all the way down to Champaign all year. Oh well, that Bears team wasn't worth the effort anyway.

bears-2-99.jpg

Why wouldn't they just play at Northwestern's Ryan Field? Less than an hour away from Chicago...

bears-2-99.jpg

Why wouldn't they just play at Northwestern's Ryan Field? Less than an hour away from Chicago...

Because it was small (47,000) and the facilities are or were subpar.

It would have been much better location-wise if they played at Wrigley, but even when the Bears did play there, the field was too short. As shown above, the back of the endzone was a foot away from the brick wall and one corner of the endzone was cut off. There's no way the NFL would have allowed that for even a game. Hell, the NCAA didn't allow it, and that's far less legitimate of an organization.

I don't remember the story with Comiskey, whether the Bears asked to play there or not. Either way, the Sox have control over all events held at the stadium, and let it be known that they didn't want to host football ever.

In the end, the Bears cited the franchise's ties with Illinois and Halas and played in Champaign. Bears fans complained about having to drive two hours to the games, and also the nerve of those diabolical cops to arrest them for DUI on I-57. Champaign townies hated the loud-mouthed Chicago fans coming, literally pissing on everything and acting as if they were being waterboarded setting foot in the town. Oh, and the Bears were horrible that year. Everybody was miserable. It was a lose-lose-lose.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

649x350_faf4.jpg

Soccer at Fenway. It actually works better than Yankee Stadium.

If the Sox were ever open to it, the Revs should move in until they can find a new stadium. Gillette is too big and too far away for most people in Boston

The soccer pitches laid out at Fenway Park, Dodger Stadium, and Miller Park are all better than the one at Yankee Stadium because NYCFC are constrained by the Yankees' demand that the pitcher's mound not be touched. If not for that, then the Yankee Stadium pitch would have a more natural orientation, and a more orthodox width.
sites%2Fleague%2Ffiles%2Fimage_nodes%2F2

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I thought that the topic of this thread was explicity teams playing in a stadium other than their own on an emergency basis, such as the examples involving the Vikings, the Saints, and the Marlins.

I don't know why some people are posting about planned temporary homes, such as the Yankees and the football Giants at Shea, and the baseball Giants at AT&T Park, or about secondary homes like the Houston Rockets in New Orleans or the Celtics in Hartford. Also, the posting of the Jets at Shea and at Giants Stadium does not fit the topic, as those were the team's official home stadium; there is nothing "wrong" about them.

Regarding the Yankees at Shea: they did play a home game there once on a contingency basis, in April of 1998 after a structural flaw in Yankee Stadium needed immediate repair.

yankees-at-shea-1998_zpsz18iu8qb.png

$(KGrHqRHJCwFBoew615DBQm)f0Wk)w~~60_35.J

The craziest thing on that day was that ex-Met Darryl Strawberry of the Yankees homered. The scoreboard operator began to elevate the Mets' apple that was raised after every Met homer; but not far enough to reveal the Mets' logo. I don't know for sure, but I bet that this was done only because it was Strawberry who hit the home run; I doubt that the apple would have been raised at all for a homer by any other Yankee that day.

strawberry-hr-shea-as-a-yankee_zps332694

strawberry-hr-shea-as-a-yankee-2_zps1452

shea-apple-part-elevated_zpscbbee31c.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived