Teams In The Wrong Stadium

kw11333

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When they put soccer fields in a baseball stadium (or even after the baseball season ends in Oakland) what do they do over the infield dirt? Is it a thin turf they lay over the dirt, or do they actually dig it up the infield and put down sod?

They don't have to dig up anything in order to lay sod. They just form-cut the sod to fit over the infield dirt.

ys-conversion-overhead_500px.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

The infield dirt is recessed enough that they can lay sod over it and not have that portion higher than the rest of the field?

Evidently so. They certainly don't do any digging.

I will hazard a guess that they use the thinnest sod possible, and that this is the reason that it sometimes has some "give" to it.

Here's one I forgot about: The Chicago Fire played in Naperville at North Central College for 2 years.

1536563-the-chicago-fire-stand-on-the-fi

I noticed there were a few images of the Bears in Champaign, but I'll add one more I found when looking for images of the Fire at North Central.

1380067-punter-kyle-richardson-of-the-mi

It's too bad the Cubs and/or NFL didn't let the Bears play the 2002 season at Wrigley Field. If you played four of the first five on the road with a bye in week 6 and the first home game in Champaign or Evanston, you could have gotten seven games in at Wrigley and not made everyone drive all the way down to Champaign all year. Oh well, that Bears team wasn't worth the effort anyway.

bears-2-99.jpg

Why wouldn't they just play at Northwestern's Ryan Field? Less than an hour away from Chicago...

As someone who was an undergrad at Northwestern at that time, I wanted the same thing.

I remember it didn't happen for 2 primary reasons:

1) Ryan Field is much smaller than even the smallest stadium in the NFL (Soldier Field) --- capacity of 47k

2) Evanston was (and still is, but less so after a decade of rapid urbanization) a very "insular" community opposed to hubbub. The school and town gov't have always had a strained relationship. So the notion of hosting NFL football on Sundays, after Big10 football on Saturdays, wasn't well received by neighbors, police and gov't.

Kings played the rangers in a preseason game in 2013 at the MGM grand in Vegas also played Colorado there

182076852(1).jpg

Stockton Thunder Played the SF Bulls at the HP Pavilion (Now SAP Center) in 2012

1_medium.jpg20121217_Bulls9_slide.jpg

Oakland A's have played in japan a number of times against the red sox and mariners

Japan_Athletics_Marin_Ellw_gallery_prima141995216-josh-reddick-of-the-oakland-at

San Jose Sabercats also just played a playoff game in Stockton arena and will play the Arena Bowl there this Saturday read here: http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_28703586/local-sports-digest-television-concerns-force-san-jose

2eg6xaq.jpg16hsymw.jpg124zfop.jpg49ers_89.jpg

A's started season in Las Vegas because of remodeling for the raiders coming back at coliseum in 1996

This was a result of an unplanned event. So it fits this thread.

Kings and Rangers played in San Diego in the 1992 preseason, but I haven't been able to find any photos.

This was presumably a planned game. So it does not fit this thread.

Lakers hosting a playoff game against the Jazz (I think) in Las Vegas due to the riots in LA...

And that previous picture of the battleship basketball game is EPIC.

Actually not a battleship, but the active Nimitz Class aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70). Game was held in San Diego Bay between UNC and Michigan St.

AR-111119970.jpg

640px-USSCarlVinsonBasketballByPhilKonst

In 2012 the San Diego State Aztecs hosted Syracuse in a similar game held across San Diego Bay on the retired Midway Class aircraft carrier USS Midway (CV-41).

11852624-standard.jpg

uss-midway.jpeg

There doesn't seem to be any photo or video evidence, but the San Jose Sharks also played @ the then-Oakland Arena for a few games in the 1992-93 season.

Hmmm... strange that there's no evidence floating around of it. But Wikipedia backs your claim if nothing else.

About Ten Years Ago...

On September 10, 2005, the LSU Tigers were scheduled to open their season in Tiger Stadium with Arizona State. Due to Katrina, that "home" game was moved to Arizona State, who put in a special LSU/Katrina end zone with 2 state of Louisiana outlines in purple and gold and a fleur-de-lis, and a saying "Together we Stand"

LSUPlayersPrayOnLAMap.jpg

1396295645007-asu-lsu8.jpg

It is what it is.

Also (no pics available) the New Orleans Hornets played ONE regular season game at LSU's Pete Maravich Assembly Center in the season immediately following Katrina (they also played one regualr season game on OU's campus in Norman, Oklahoma).

The date was December 21, 2005; it was a loss to the Phoenix Suns. I was at that game.

(I should add that the franchise has also played at least one pre-season game at the PMAC).

It is what it is.

As I remember, the Hornets were supposed to play three games in Baton Rouge that season, but either weren't happy with the arena or the turnout after one game, and moved the other two back to Oklahoma City, one of which was a conflict and had to go to Norman.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Also (no pics available) the New Orleans Hornets played ONE regular season game at LSU's Pete Maravich Assembly Center in the season immediately following Katrina (they also played one regualr season game on OU's campus in Norman, Oklahoma).

The date was December 21, 2005; it was a loss to the Phoenix Suns. I was at that game.

(I should add that the franchise has also played at least one pre-season game at the PMAC).

Here ya go

dec05_051216_diaw.jpg?itok=8OKVkXhO

Detroit Cougars of the NHL, played in Windsor at Border Cities Arena for the 1926-27 season. (image from heritage uniforms and jerseys blog)

Windsor+Arena+1926-27.gif

While a new stadium was being built, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats were at Alumni Stadium in Guelph for 2013

ShHUB.jpg

and Ron Joyce Stadium for the first part of 2014:

Ron%20Joyce%204.jpg

images took a lot longer to get up than I anticipated and weren't the best I could find (see building stories dot co for Border Cities Arena) but I was getting a lot of "you are not allow to use that image extension on this community".

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

Archived