Dolphins concept - based on the new throwback

oldschoolvikings

So, I'm pretty much in awe of the new Dolphins throwback. It outpaces the limp uniform they just got a few years ago by a few miles. I would have very few issues with simply making it the new primary. However, I thought with a tweak or two, it could be pretty close to perfect.

There are IMO two basic issues with the throwback, as is. The slightly muddled original logo, and the inconsistency between helmet and pants stripes. For the former, I went with a combination of the current cruise line logo's sun, with the cleaned up helmet-dolphin created by Ren69 in his logo thread. (Thanks, Ren... great work.) For the latter, my first thought was to copy the helmet stripe onto the pants, but the more I thought about it, I decided to do the opposite. For one thing, the aqua/orange/aqua Braiser stripes on the pants just look so classic, Also, they match the color pattern on the sleeve stripes really well, too. So, with a slight adjustment to the expected road sleeve stripes, I've got consistent color patterns overall, and a nice looking package.

What do you think?

dolph3_zpsjitepcxb.png

I really wanted to keep the gray mask, if nothing else than to annoy a choice few of our fellow posters, but in the end decided to go with aqua.

Don't tempt me, tho... gray would've been fine.

Personally I prefer Aqua because their helmet is white.

Throwback for Throwbacks Sake. There's nothing exciting here. You didn't take a chance on this concept, it's too safe.

First off let me say that "throwback for throwbacks sake" sounds like an awesome idea, which I would generally have to advocate across the board in all sports. So, good on you for coming up with that.

But secondly, I do agree that I didn't take a chance with this uniform. That was sort of the point. The new Dolphins throwback is IMO an incredible uniform (with the Falcons' throwback from a few years ago currently out of commission, this Miami throwback is quite possibly the best uniform in the NFL right now), and my thought was to polish it up just enough to make it perfect as a modern primary uniform. So, yeah, I played it very safe. You don't throw the fine China in the dishwasher, right?

I have, in the past, done a few Dolphins' concepts in which I took a bit more liberties... what do you think?

dolph2_zps0vomdvtp.png

dolph1_zpsd883071b.png

Once again, though... Throwback for Throwbacks Sake... brilliant. If I ever run for office, that's my campaign slogan.

I really wanted to keep the gray mask, if nothing else than to annoy a choice few of our fellow posters, but in the end decided to go with aqua.

Don't tempt me, tho... gray would've been fine.

I was shocked as well, and I know I am one of those annoy posters...but I believe you did a fantastic job with this concept.

spacer.png

Throwback for Throwbacks Sake. There's nothing exciting here. You didn't take a chance on this concept, it's too safe.

First off let me say that "throwback for throwbacks sake" sounds like an awesome idea, which I would generally have to advocate across the board in all sports. So, good on you for coming up with that.

But secondly, I do agree that I didn't take a chance with this uniform. That was sort of the point. The new Dolphins throwback is IMO an incredible uniform (with the Falcons' throwback from a few years ago currently out of commission, this Miami throwback is quite possibly the best uniform in the NFL right now), and my thought was to polish it up just enough to make it perfect as a modern primary uniform. So, yeah, I played it very safe. You don't throw the fine China in the dishwasher, right?

I have, in the past, done a few Dolphins' concepts in which I took a bit more liberties... what do you think?

dolph2_zps0vomdvtp.png

dolph1_zpsd883071b.png

Once again, though... Throwback for Throwbacks Sake... brilliant. If I ever run for office, that's my campaign slogan.

The 70s were fine but its over now. So teams just throwing back is lazy branding. We can't up with anything to take the brand forward so we're just gonna fall back on nostalgia factor. It's cheap. Black for black's sake is a poor attempt to look young and intimidating, Throwback for Throwbacks sake is a poor attempt to move to the future.

That said the bottom concept looks solid. I would like to see the shoulder stripes match the pants though but otherwise that's a concept that shows you have an idea that's uniquely yours and shows your talents rather than just taking an existing retro uni and not noticeably tweaking anything.

tumblr_p3eoj4gyq71ufhi8uo1_1280.png

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

As a 40-year Dolphins fan I like it. Would rather use traditional number font (block, not curved) but that's a nit pick. The new throwback would be fine if it became the new primary jersey, just with an updated helmet logo/stripes.

I'm undecided on the dolphin wearing the helmet. It screams tradition but it wouldn't look right on the new one.

Thanks for posting this.

As much as I like the throwbacks, I like what you did with the helmet and sleeve stripes on your third concept. And not only because that's what I did with the stripes on my own Dolphin uniform concept. And though the sleeve stripes and sock stripes are a bit more than I would have done, I do like the overall uniform design. I would also combine the helmet from your second concept with the rest of your first concept.

And THANK YOU for not giving the Dolphins an aqua-on-aqua uniform. Monochrome uniforms need to be left in high school and college football.

I like all three here, but I gotta say I prefer #3. The second set's consistent, kinda like Florida or the old Oilers, in that the striping is the same color on both jerseys and pants...I'm assuming the orange stripe is supposed to be thicker than the aqua stripes though, because the roads kinda look like the Bears whites if they're the same width. The first set...I'd actually mark a tad lower than it deserves to be marked largely because I prefer the 97 dolphin over the older version, and wish you'd used that instead. The third set is real nice looking.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived